Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I have decided to streamline my setup down. I previously owned a 27" iMac, 13" MBP, and iPad. I travel a lot for work (fashion photographer) and I can't be without my editing powerhouse (iMac previously). So, I decided to said bye to my i3 iMac and MBP to buy the upcoming revision of the 17" MBP.

As for the iPad. The biggest question was: Why move to the 11.6" MBA?

I had a 16gb 3G with unlimited data and ended up selling it for $850. So, the MBA was only a $200 upgrade ($1100 after tax -$50 edu discount). For me, the Air is a 100% upgrade. I find myself being trouble by not being able to do emails easily without the bt keyboard. With the keyboard and case, the iPad weights more than my MBA and while it lasts longer, I couldn't stand doing emails on it. In fact, I'd rather write emails on my iPhone. The data is nice but I already have data on my iPhone 4.

I chose the base Air because I wanted to get something comparable to what I got from the iPad sale. Plus, dimension, weight, and screen size is similar. I wanted to have something that I can pull out and easily use as a portfolio for my stills + video work. I find the iPad, while sleek, was difficult for clients to view. They rarely want to touch it, and some don't even know how to use it. It was a big reality check for me that a lot of people still have not warmed up to the tablet idea yet.

So while nice, the iPad because a Pandora player in my studio and a wifi hotspot device - it's a luxury, while the Air is a true multi-tasking, mobile computing device (something I tried to do, and failed with the iPad). I love the iPad, but carrying everywhere with a keyboard is cumbersome. The Air offers the flexibility (with a small compromise on the touch/portability) that I need. Especially if I ever run out of memory on a shoot in the middle of no where, the air can help transfer data into my hard drive, it's a win-win :D

Now if only we can get those SB MBP ASAP! Until then I'm editing 35 mb raw files on the air, let's see what it can do haha :D

Pic of my old setup
5D2.jpg

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Good set up.

MBA 11.6 is a fantastic machine. I have it as well.

I use MBA 11.6, 15 MBP and iPad 16GB wi-fi at the moment.

I am planning on getting rid of iPad to replace it with android tablet or iPad 2.

I am also planning on getting rid of 15 MBP to replace it with 27 inch iMac.

Everyone has different needs and wants. I hope everything works out for you. I expect MBP updates in less than 1-2 months.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I'm not quite sure why you would swap the iMac for the 17 inch MBP. The rest I understand. Sorry just reread your post. I get why you're updating the iMac. I'm now not quite sure why you'd get the MBA. You'll have a laptop with you at work, why have two?

Last edited:

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
I also would have keep the 27" in your line of work.

But please tell me more about getting $850 for the unlimited 3G....thats seems like an insane price for someone to pay.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I'm not quite sure why you would swap the iMac for the 17 inch MBP. The rest I understand. Sorry just reread your post. I get why you're updating the iMac. I'm now not quite sure why you'd get the MBA. You'll have a laptop with you at work, why have two?

Last month I spent some time in London, before that Seattle, and now heading to LA again for 2 weeks and New York after that. So, I rarely spend time at my home base in Seattle. I needed a powerhouse editing machine that I can move from city to city. That is not possible with the iMac. Hence, selling the iMac + 13" base MBP to buy a i7 MBP and max out everything on it.

The 17" MBP would go from city to city with me but it will be at the hotel, the Air will go with me everywhere as a electronic portfolio (previously iPad) and mobile computing solution. It'll also be helpful in emergency file transfer (CF cards to portable HD) as well as some light photo work (Adobe Bridge to select images for final edits).

I also would have keep the 27" in your line of work.

But please tell me more about getting $850 for the unlimited 3G....thats seems like an insane price for someone to pay.

Sold the iPad for $550 and the SIM ended up on eBay and was sold for $300. People really love unlimited data! Which I never really ended up needing since I have data on my phone too.

Penooker

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
For showing client video / photo work don't you care about colors and viewing angle? I really miss the IPS screen of the iPad. I'm actually surprised that Apple uses such crappy screens on Macbook's, but it's still better than lots of other brands.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
For showing client video / photo work don't you care about colors and viewing angle? I really miss the IPS screen of the iPad. I'm actually surprised that Apple uses such crappy screens on Macbook's, but it's still better than lots of other brands.

I usually only present my work to one person - usually fashion editor or lead agent or owner - sometimes 2 people but never more than that. Using the Air as a portfolio is still being tested, the iPad was good at it, but not great like I was hopeful for. It's a little too heavy to hold with one hand and present, and I hate the way the case makes it looks if I use that to put it on the table (cumbersome). People never like flipping through the photos which makes it hard to use as a portfolio. With the Air I'm planning on using the iPhoto slideshow and blue tooth remote combo to showcase my work.

Like I said, it's not perfect, but neither was the iPad portfolio. But in the Air's case, I can also use it for mobile computing and going through twenty emails, set up shoots, research, and edit my website all in one machine.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Sold the iPad for $550 and the SIM ended up on eBay and was sold for $300. People really love unlimited data! Which I never really ended up needing since I have data on my phone too.

thanks for the info...I'm not ready to give up unlimited. But you have given me others options.

All the best on your new set-up.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
thanks for the info...I'm not ready to give up unlimited. But you have given me others options.

All the best on your new set-up.

Thanks bud, yeah it's not a bad deal for someone, $300 and you will forever have unlimited 3G for $30 - it's really the best deal out there (and the only deal if you don't want to have to carry a mifi - I always thought an iPad's biggest advantage is not having to carry anything with it to get 3G - something I wished the air had)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.