Goodbye Daylight Savings!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OutThere, Oct 29, 2005.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

18 minutes ago the U.S. Eastern Time Zone went through a temporal wormhole: daylight savings time ended.

Welcome to an hour ago, fellas. :p

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i don't get it...why do we push back the clocks then push them foward... why change the clocks at all, does it just even out.... :confused:
    is this one of those things we don't ask just because its done that way... :rolleyes:

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, I always wondered how the time accounting would work if you were to commit a crime at, say, the first 1:30 AM, and then have an alibi at the second 1:30 AM. "Where were you at 1:30?" "With these people over here." It's one of those things that I imagine would drive the various attorneys, policemen, and judges up the wall with complicated explanations.

Oh, and there used to be a bug in Windows where when the time fell back, you'd get an alert telling you... if you clicked OK during that hour, when 2 AM rolled around again the time would fall back again (and again, and again). They fixed it pretty quickly.

4. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

I was going to try and drop some posts at 1:59, 2:00 (1:00), and 2:01 (1:01) to see how the forums react, but I was otherwise occupied. :p

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, we figured it out: The time is posted according to the clock on the user's machine, and did adjust when the time did. So, we now have some posts that are out of order, timewise, but they appear in the order originally posted.

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

!! BRILLIANT

/off to break into the Apple store
    //"But judge, I was posting on MR at 1:30"
    ///YES!!!!

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

now now, behave, dont make me come there....

:p

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

quiet, you!

/breaks into PlaceofDis's apartment
    //GUESS WHO HAS A NEW POWERBOOK!
    ///aww, no backlit keyboard?
    ////powerbook --> trash can

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hmmmm guess you wont be seeing me then, so sad, so sad

10. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

For the first time I am going to try to stay awake during the time change schedule. I just want to see if I notice anything. Probably my plan will fail but here's to me:p

I'll have to rely on CBC Radio 3 to keep me awake.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

All my post's time stamps are out at the moment. It's 5:30PM and they're showing as 4:30PM. :(

Meh, with a bit of work, I'll get over it.

12. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Thank God. I function so much better on this time. Seriously. My head is more clear, I write better ... yeah.

The new time is so much better than like, the old time.

I feel bad for those people in Indiana where time like, never changes.

13. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

OK, it's 1 again.. time to start working on my alibi!

:)

/I was eating pancakes
    //with 29 other people
    ///WHO CAN ALL ATTEST TO THIS

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

...and hello to lighter mornings!

It's just after 7am, Sunday morning in London and it's a clear blue sky.

I can now do my makeup before work near the kitchen window instead of in the bathroom. :eek: :D

15. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

They have clear, blue skies in London? I though that was myth..like Seattle (the blue sky, not the city). :D

Hello to it being dark by 4:30pm in my neck of the woods. Bring on the "SAD":(

16. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

Funny thing is that in recent years the UK and Seattle have been having serious droughts...New England has been hit with heavy rain and constant grey skies. :p

17. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It has to do with saving energy...
    Here's a post from another thread, because I asked the same question.

18. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

Eh?

I though it was due to farmers. They wanted more daylight hours in the fields during the summers. And the whole thing is optional as Arizona doesn't participate.

I also read somewhere that there is was a motion before congress to extend DST so that it would start in March and end in November.

19. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

When DST first became law (early 20th century, I believe, although Ben Franklin had suggested it earlier), it was intended to make it so that the clock would be more in line with the rising and setting of the sun... would you rather the sun rose at 5 AM and set at 7 PM, or rose at 6 AM and set at 8 PM? The reasoning is quite simple. Obviously it has no effect on the amount of ACTUAL sunlight... just on when WE are awake to take advantage of it.

And yes, the DST start and end dates are being changed in 2007 and beyond.

20. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

Right....but I thought it was more to get the farmer's clocks more aligned with the rest of the world so they could function (i.e. get to the general store during business hours). Not that getting up at 4am is normal..... :confused:

21. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

DST first went into effect back in the 1940s. And its main reason was for farmers. I have never understood how it helps with energy costs, ill pay a extra twenty cents on my electric bill for an extra hour of sleep. I'm just glad I'm graduating next year (2006) and dont have to worry about day light savings time any more thank God. I im really mad that they will extend it in 2007. Why cant we just have regular time? Its worked just peachy since the dawn of time, then america has to come along and fix something that isn't broken...

22. Frisco macrumors 68020

I am mad they are changing it too! Another dumb Bush move, thinking he can control time.

What about the kids that have to go to school in the dark, at least during the Fall and Winter months?

23. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

Meh in Winter it's dark in the morning when I start class and then it's dark again by the end of the class day...no matter what the daylight savings system is on, there just isn't enough light in December and January.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I wanted to watch my Mac's clock go from 1:59 back to 1:00, but was up at Donut King when the time change happened (Don't ask. Bored college kids+Donut King a block away=frequent runs at odd times)

Hell, we were confused. The Donut King here puts out fresh donuts at 2:00 AM (again, don't ask how we know). We didn't know if they'd put them out at the first 2:00 or the second 2:00. Fortunatley, it was the first 2:00 (when we went)

25. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

So am I. For those of us that live on an eastern edge of a time zone it is still going to be dark at 8:00 in the morning when they start pushing it back the second Sunday of March instead of the first Sunday in April. Even the first Sunday in April is a little too early. Kids will be going to school in the dark here when that happens. I don't have anything against DST, but I do have a problem with extending it so far that the concept does not even work right anymore.