Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breathesrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
My venerable, 8-year-old iBook G3 finally died today...I'm guessing the graphics card went. I was using it and suddenly the screen turned into snow, like on an analog TV (which was a weird thing to see on an LCD display). When I try to turn it on, the startup chime sounds and the hard drive starts to spin up, but then all is silent. The graphics is my best guess for the source of the problem- is that reasonable? I know it's sodered on, so I'm guessing a replacement would cost more than the computer's worth- am I right?

Long live the iBook...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you can plug it into an external monitor, that would let you know if it was the graphics card or simply the screen.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Shimming the iBook under the video card area --google around -- would give you a lot more life out of the iBook.

breathesrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Oh, wow, that totally worked! I did not expect that. Looks like it has a but more life in it after all :)

breathesrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
This computer actually seriously pisses me off; I'm just waiting for arrandale. I'm glad it's working again, though- sure beats using my ipod touch. And I know it will probably die soon enough, but 8 years is a good run for any laptop. In a few months (assuming it still works) I'll be giving it to a computer-illiterate relative for their first computer, which could be interesting. Not really worth the money for a more permanent fix; I'll just stick a shim in there and see how it goes. Right now, since I don't have the screwdrivers to open it up, I'm resting a heavy glass of water over the CPU which is a recipe for disaster. Not to mention it's difficult to type around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.