Goodbye ibook; powerbook time

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mood, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

i think i'm going to spring for the 12 inch powerbook instead of the 12 inch ibook.

if i get a stock 12 inch powerbook, and i don't like it (like it has dead pixels or something), can i return it since it's not BTO (built to order).

also what comes in the box.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Being able to return the PowerBook would be a decision made an individual basis. With respect to a dead pixel, it would probably have to be more than four. Why are you thinking about the need for a return?

3. dcv macrumors G3

yes there is a 14 day return policy but believe me, you won't want to return it!

4. Mood thread starter macrumors regular

Mood

if its a stock model, is there a 10 percent restocking fee or do you have 30 days to return it.

(just in case the pixels piss me off)

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

From my understanding, you have to pay the 10% restock only if you return it. If you "exchanged" it for an iBook (money back) or put it towards another Mac, you don't have to pay anything.

6. dcv macrumors G3

I bought a stock 12" pb from the apple store on regent st (london) rather than online as i thought it would be easier just in case i needed to return it for any reason - plus it saves the week long wait while it's shipped from china!

the deal (in the UK anyway) is 14 days. no restocking fee. i made sure of that when i bought it. i'm guessing that the 14 day policy stems from the US so imagine that it would be the same for you, as virtually all other UK retailers have a 28 day returns policy.

7. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

That's why you but from somewhere like Best Buy if you're in Canada.

8. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

What do you mean?

Do you mean accessories?

:confused:

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Youll be very happy with a PB, although i know the iBook following is fierce.

As for dead pixels, I just bought a Pb at the Apple store, and it had one stuck pixel. It was bright green. I took in and complained, and they said it had to have 3-4 within a certain area to be considered "defective" however, they would exchange it once for me, and hopefully the new would be be stuck/dead pixel free.

Luckily it was. Had it been a BTO, I think I would of been out of luck. But idk. I would of been one pissed customer if I had been stuck with a bad pixel.

10. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

The chances of you getting a bunch of dead pixels is highly unlikely. Do yourself a favor and just do a quick check for pixels, don't look really hard and try to find them because once you find them and know where they are, it will piss you off everytime you use your machine. So don't try and look for them. If you get dead pixels, chances are it will only be 1.

11. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

If you order online (as was my experience), you will have to incur the restocking fee. I wasn't able to get around this, I had to pay a restocking fee because i had already opened the box. According to Apple "customer service," they don't do exchanges. So i had to return and then buy again. :(

12. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

I was part of the iBook waiting fraternity but cracked and got a Powerbook and I can tell you now, even if iBooks were updated tomorrow, I still wouldn't care. That's not to say the iBook is a bad machine, it's great, but there's nothing about the Powerbook that I dislike.

13. asqy macrumors regular

I was playing with a stock powerbook 12 inch today. Rather annoyed that there is a MS word typing lag...:(

Do I need a bloody double g5 powermac to run ms word without ANY typing lag. Sure its only minimal on powermac but it sure it annoying.

14. aviationwiz macrumors regular

Any machine will have typing lag if you catch it at a bad time. I think you just happened to use it when it decided to take a break.

15. asqy macrumors regular

It seems to be a common trait with MS Word for mac. It has typing lag. The only machine that does not have typing lag is the G5 was a gig of ram.

MS Word is so bloated that it lags on the G4's. Terribly annoying. Barely usuable if you type at a decent click. My desktop is an old P4 1.9 with 512ram and typing lag does not exist AT ALL on ms word. Coming from that to macs with word is a real shocker.

I was hoping hat the powerbook 1.5 g4 would cope with word seamlessly. However it lags just the slightest bit when I type. Very very annoying after a little while. Every mac except the g5 does this.

...and when you are a student looking for a fully featured word processor (please don't suggest text edit) that is needed to write proper university papers MS word on any of the apple g4's is annoyingly slow. Even on the 'power' book. I'm sure this will be adressed when the mactel powerbook/ibooks come out. But it I choose to purchase a latop this uni session it will not be an apple for that reason.

It's a real pity because I really like OSX and the design of apple products. Maybe another time I guess. the fact that I actually hang around this forum shows how much I wanted an apple laptop. But alas I'm coming to terms with the inability of word to run well on g4 apples. I know there are other alternatives to MS Word for mac However i prefer word for seamlessness.

:( Sad