Goodbye .Mac, hello gmail!!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coolbreeze, Apr 1, 2004.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2003

Presuming this isn't some sort of April fools joke, gmail will crush any email provider, pay or free, with a gig of email storage per account. The best thing is, it'll be free and backed by Google.

I don't think $100 for 15 MB will fly with this offer standing...even with all of the other benefits of .Mac.

Once again, Google is upping the ante. Can't wait.
  2. xhost_plus macrumors newbie

Mar 25, 2004
    Reno, NV
  3. tj2001 macrumors regular

Dec 7, 2003
    Florida - USA
    Nuff' said...
    That is like nailing a nail on the nail head or something in the same contrast!

I'll pass I opt for my .Mac account :)
  4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    its true, it was reported in the ny times two days ago.
    be aware though that the contextual ads thing sounds a little bit sketch.
    at least enough to me that i dont plan on signing up until i know more about spam emails, but spam IN your email? whoop de doo.
  5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I interpreted it as Google using their textual, non-intrusive ads in the service, NOT NECESSARILY inlined in your email messages. I like Google's advertising policies; they're the best of any web advertiser I know of. I'd sign up for Gmail too, if I actually needed the space and didn't like .Mac as much as I do...
  6. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2003
    Wow, such pessimists.

I, for one, don't think google would allow this service to be shoddy, ridden with tacky spam ads, etc. Take a look at their subtble ads on this page. Very non-intrusive, and actually somewhat useful.

Why not sign up and try it out when it's available? :confused:
  7. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    It's probably going to be similar to how yahoogroups does it with having an ad at the base of the e-mail. You guys are too picky. 1GB of storage isn't exactly chump change for server space. You multiply that by 100,000 or 1,000,000 users and the money has to come from somewhere. I personally will probably join as long as Google has strong anti-spam policies and filters in place unlike hotcrap...oops that even with their filters set to high I get about 100 spams a day. The only use I have for my hotcrap account at this point is a placeholder for sites where I need a legit address to register. The could workout well.
  8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    It'll be great reading spam. Now when I get an e-mail about money from Nigeria I can have ads for competition!

Actually I like google's ad words. They're very unintrusive and they often times have something interesting (if the page you're reading is interesting).
  9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I also like Google's Ad Words system. Google is the only advertiser that consistently delivers relevant, non-invasive ads on the pages it advertises on. (Down with Flash ads! Down with flashing GIF ads! Up with Google's Ad Words!)
  10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    ill definately sign up....anything to get away from hotmail, i mean i have attempted to find another free email account at other places but they just suck, and i think google can do it right...
  11. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    This is the scary part:

I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I want Google scanning my email to figure out what topics I'm discussing.
  12. oldschool macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2003

that doesn't mean its true... :D
  13. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Darn tootin. Big aint alwas best.
  14. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    well you could test it, try writng yourself lots of email about sex toys, see what google suggests.
  15. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    I will keep .Mac. works flawlessly and has so many other benefits. I never receive spam so I don't need all that space to keep email :D

If I ever need an additional email for sketchy business or something I suppose then I would probably try google, but until then, it is .Mac all the way!
  16. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    1G of spam mail storage for free? Right...

Too bad the election of 2000 wasn't held on April 1st...
  17. MCPeck macrumors member

Jul 17, 2003
    Is this right?

Has anyone looked at the URL? It says; smells like a chain yanker to me!
  18. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    The double ".com" has been going on with CNet for a while. I know so, since about two years ago,
    "" redirected to either "" or ""

Actually, I just tested that out now, and redirects to, then to You can tell by looking at the status bar area of your browser right after you send the URL query.
  19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    A GB of storage is huge but gMail is only in beta and not widely available yet. Spymac also announced that they will now provide a GB of free email. It all sounds nice but who really needs that much space? My work email which contains a few thousand emails and attachments is a few hundred MB at best. My home accounts don't even come close to that.

A GB is just a marketing gimmick as the vast majority will never come close to using that much space.

That being said, Apple will need to up the space on .Mac to keep it from looking paltry in comparison, although I think .Mac has other very valuable (to me at least) features. I've been trying to teach my step father OS X (he has limited mac OS 8 use) and wasn't getting anywhere. Gave him access to my .Mac account and the training videos have done the trick.

What I'd really like to see is Yahoo, MS, Google, big ISPs and other high volume email providers to get together and try and reduce spam by sharing spam filtering techniques. The only way to stop it is to not deliver it. A campaign to educate the masses in how they can help reduce it would also be nice.

I am very careful about what email address I use and where but lately, my .Mac account has been inundated.
  20. sphereboy macrumors 6502

May 10, 2002
    interesting facts about gmail

read this article:

Seems Gmail will read all your incoming email. Something i personally wouldn't want.

my 2 cents.
  21. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    gMail will be successful because Google will make LOADS of cash selling suspicious E-mails to the government. The thought of such a conspiracy alone will keep me from signing up. A small error there could have terrible consequences! :eek: :(
  22. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

Dec 17, 2002
    If 1 GB is what you want, Spymac also is offering 1 GB of free email space. They also offer free webdisk based storage which they call Spydisk (iDisk).
  23. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    I wouldn't want 1gb of my personal email just sitting on some web mail server.
  24. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    sounds tempting, considering my .Mac email has recently been PLAGUED with spam for no reason i can think of. i give my address to NO ONE.
  25. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    It's a bit crazy, I've never had spam on my .Mac account and I have never hit close to the 15 meg limit as far as I know. Do they send you a warning if you are close to it? Either way, it seems like this free GB account will end up biting someone in the ass at some point considering the costs of this sort of thing.