Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Alright, that's it. I'm officially fed up with apple. I bought a MacBook and it was BY FAR the greatest piece of equipment I had EVER purchased. It totally, for the fear of sounding like a 12 year old, rocked my socks.

Used it for a week, and it started mooing and creaking BADLY. Got sorely disappointed, returned.

Bought a black one. Man was it so so much cooler than the white one. Seemingly was flawless. No moo, no creaks, no chipping. However no temp. monitors worked on it. I went ahead and ignored that for the sake of such a beautiful machine and so much powerful OS.

Used it for a week, and it wouldnt start up. Black screen at startup, and when it does start up I mean MAN! I could hear it from the other room like it was right there!

At this point I am just FED UP with Apple Quality control. Returned the black one. Now I'm not buying anything. Boy were people right when they said Apple has problems with Rev As.

Boy will I miss my MacBook :( It was the most AWESOME piece of equipment I had bought in years. It will be sorely missed :(

I went ahead and asked my father for a $500 loan, and he agreed :) Now hopefully when the money for this laptop comes in the new Meroms will be released. If not then I'm waiting for the new Merom MBPs and buying them the DAY they come out. I REALLY hope those don't have any problems like this......

Just shame on Apple quality control really, I was hooked on OS X from the moment I used it.

Goodbye MacBook, May you rest in peace.
CMON MEROM MBP! :)

Not sure why I went on this rant lol. Wanted to share my experience with you guys. And so sad to lose such a beautiful product.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
My Macbook had to be sent back to Apple once. It was fine after that. I think Apple's cheapness is really hurting them. Remember, at one point in time Apple's cheapest portable was a $5000 powerbook.

viperguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2005
Well, so if you liked your laptops, even with such problems, I wanna hear from you when you have your merom 15.4 inch MBP. You should be amazed. Better enclosure, better keypad, better video graphics, bigger screen... Do I need to say more? :)

mini.boss

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2006
viperguy said:
Well, so if you liked your laptops, even with such problems, I wanna hear from you when you have your merom 15.4 inch MBP. You should be amazed. Better enclosure, better keypad, better video graphics, bigger screen... Do I need to say more? :)

Is the MBP any better with heat/shutdown issues? Over at MacConnection they have refurb MBP's for $1449 (after $150 rebate) which is just insane. But I hear so many people lying "for the good of apple sales" that I dont know what to believe anymore. Also, can you buy applecare on a refub mac not purchased through apple?

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
We have 3 MacBooks. 2 white 1.83GHz's and 1 black one (mine).

No problems - what so ever.

What's the point in posting this? Someone does every time a MB/MBP problem is noted - yeah, we know, not every Apple laptop is a disaster. That has nothing to do with the real problems faced by many.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Thanks everyone. Yeah really no point in telling people how your MacBooks work fine. I also hoped for the same, bought two and both ran smoothly for about a week and then went to hell as already noted.

Really hoping now the Merom MBP comes out soon and hopefully this revision will have no problems. I'm counting the days now :D

nnick

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
Milwaukee
My MacBook was mooing until I installed the most recent update. It has not mooed since. I love it!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Quality control on this generation of intel notebooks is abysmal. I was so hyped about the transition, bought a MBP, returned it and went back to trusty old G4.

Lets hope this changes with the Core 2 Duo but frankly i doubt it. Apple is obsessed with making their notebooks thinner, unfortunately chips are getting hotter and more powerful and need more cooling so the chemistry as it is between both factors isn't really working out.

At this point its better to just get a Desktop.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
daneoni said:
Lets hope this changes with the Core 2 Duo but frankly i doubt it. Apple is obsessed with making their notebooks thinner, unfortunately chips are getting hotter and more powerful and need more cooling so the chemistry as it is between both factors isn't really working out.
Really?

My MacBook is quite comfortable (heatwise) after the SMC upgrade from last week.

Apparently hotter chips + thinner laptops + properly running fans works out well after all. :)

capone2

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
chelsea-nyc
I Just Got

the MBP 17" last week and it is amazing, didnt' feel like waiting for the merom, im a little nervous about it for mannnny reasons.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
aristobrat said:
Really?

My MacBook is quite comfortable (heatwise) after the SMC upgrade from last week.

Apparently hotter chips + thinner laptops + properly running fans works out well after all. :)

properly running or continuously running...there is a difference and a fan that cant throttle properly will ultimately affect battery life. The SMC update while good makes the fan run constantly albeit at low rpm and revs up when needed BUT i feel this will take out of the battery life.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I don't know.

I can't hear the fans, so it's hard to say if they're running all the time, or if they're throttling up and down.

All I know is that my MacBook is a huge amount cooler and I haven't noticed anything different with my battery, so I'm happy.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Something I forgot to share with you guys. When I called Apple to set up the RMA, the representative played a recording for me with a mooing macbook! And he asked me if the fan noise was something like this rofl. It was so damn funny.

In any case, I think the MBPs have gone through a lot of revisions already and the Core 2 Duo will hopefully be flawless.

One more thing. I bought 2gb RAM for this MacBook. I re-installed the Apple stock back in it now but this same RAM will work in the Merom MBP when I buy it right?

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
milozauckerman said:
What's the point in posting this? Someone does every time a MB/MBP problem is noted - yeah, we know, not every Apple laptop is a disaster. That has nothing to do with the real problems faced by many.

What's the point in posting this? Someone does every time a MB/MBP functions fine.

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
sulhaq said:
Something I forgot to share with you guys. When I called Apple to set up the RMA, the representative played a recording for me with a mooing macbook! And he asked me if the fan noise was something like this rofl. It was so damn funny.

lol, that is very funny, sad, but funny :)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
sulhaq said:

In any case, I think the MBPs have gone through a lot of revisions already and the Core 2 Duo will hopefully be flawless.

One more thing. I bought 2gb RAM for this MacBook. I re-installed the Apple stock back in it now but this same RAM will work in the Merom MBP when I buy it right?

Yup

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
sulhaq said:
Have they? If you add one to your cart in the online Apple store, they still show /A.

My /D PowerBook had to go back to get the "horizontal line" issue with the new hires screen fixed. Took Apple over 5 months to admit to that problem and get it fixed.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
aristobrat said:
Have they? If you add one to your cart in the online Apple store, they still show /A.

My /D PowerBook had to go back to get the "horizontal line" issue with the new hires screen fixed. Took Apple over 5 months to admit to that problem and get it fixed.

i think he means silent revisions..new logic board revision mostly

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The majority of Apple's Rev A issues come from third party component suppliers.

It's hard to tell if these problems are caused by poor engineering or by poor execution.

I've been more than pleased with Apple's overall quality, but Rev A's do have a history for a reason.

I know waiting gets old real fast, but usually it's worth it in the long run.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
I wasn't really excited about MBP since it was out of my price range. But since its not now I'm really crossing my fingers for it to come out asap. I'm really quite sick of using windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.