Goodbye to classic Apple iMac on BBC website

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Mar 31, 2003.

1. iGav macrumors G3

With reader feedback too!!

Wicked!!

Link junkies here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2893041.stm

or full article below!!

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ok, ok, how sad about the iMacs I am:(

Now I think I can get one to my mother once it is fully discontinued.

4. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    I remember that there was an astute member of MR, whom once posted the absolutely stellar idea that Apple should market the iMac classic as a low buck / budget conscious unit that would get the Mac way of life and OSX into more homes...and hearts. I wonder why Apple did not take this advice seriously. The iMac that I am writing this on has been a great change to the way that I and my family work and live. We may be more dependent on computers now because of the iMac. Before switching, our dependence was far less because our weak lil' peecee simply could not get anything done without the obligatory daily crash. It would lock up several times a day, and if that was not enough excitement, most of the time, any new apps would not run without having to load in some kind of special driver or configuration file. Then there was all of the system maintenance, i.e, defrag, debug, scandisk, ms-this, wintel-that... I was getting so sick of it that I would have been happier pretending that I had never seen a wintel box. I would like to know if there is anyone who has had the emotional high of switching to a Mac, having made the switch to a model other than the iMac. What is it like to go from a Penti-numb 4 to a high end DP PowerMac with a respectably large monitor? How does it feel to take your old H-Pee laptop for a walk in the park, just to hurl it frisbee-like into the air? For one last time it will actualy be of the most use to anyone, as it liberates you to release yourself from "convention" and increase your freedom and capabilities as only the Apple iBook, or Powerbook can. Have any of these, or similar things happened to you? Tell us what it is like...
    Thank you.

5. dethl macrumors regular

iMac may be no longer sold, but they live on

My older brother is using my old Bondi 233mhz iMac (rev B) and its still live and kickin'! He upped the memory and put a bigger hard drive in it, and OS X runs happily on there. Apple products tend to last much longer than the EOL date set. I don't think many other computer companies can say that at all.

I don't think this is the end of the iMac, merely the end of the beginning of the iMac. As we have seen, it has been "replaced" by the flat-screen iMac. It will be replaced as well, but by what? Only Apple can tell us. The name will live on even if the design doesn't. I think we will see the name iMac for a long time. :rolleyes:

With that said, where's my PPC 970? :D

6. TheCat macrumors member

Re: iMac may be no longer sold, but they live on

I personally think the eMac is replacing the old iMac?? The new iMac is simply too expensive compared to either, which is a shame as it's a damn fine m/c! But it's too closely match to the MUCH FASTER Power Mac's (for price, i mean), and i know which computer in that price bracket i'd rather have!

Apple Mac's have always lasted better & longer though, agreed. I'm still using my old 9600/350 and i've also got a 6500/250 that's being used as an FTP server! Mac's last a very long time :)