Goodyear to return?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Lord Blackadder, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's a couple days old but this is an interesting rumor.

I think that the US F1 team part is totally wrong - GM is in the toilet financially, Daimler Chrysler is already committed to F1 through McLaren and Ford just pulled out.

But the bit about tires is interesting...Mosley already said he's pushing for one tire provider (hint: NOT Michelin) yet both Goodyear and Khumo have rumored ambitions...it's probably just hot air but wouldn't 4 tire providers be an interesting situation?

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Ford....HAHA. I watched a race from 95, and Ford was in last place all thru the race. Serves them right. American cars have never been half as good as foreign made cars. Why isn't pereli a tire supplier?

3. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Pirelli used to be tire suplier in the early days of F1 I think (but I'm not sure) through the early 80's. But I would like to see them back as well.

4. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Yes, I would like to see that as well. Bridgestones seems to only work with the big red and the other teams can pick up the crums or go with Michelin.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Uh right. Nevermind that Dan Gurney won a GP at Spa in a car he designed. Oh, and the Ford/Cosworth DFV only recently being surpassed by Ferrari in total engine wins. And remember 1994? That was a Ford V8 behind Schumi. And the Vipers and Vettes at Le Mans in recent years. And when Ford took the top 3 spots in the BTCC a few years ago. Oh, and what was the most common tire in F1 in the 60's? Goodyear. :rolleyes:

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah but it has been quite a while since a vette or Viper won the overall classment ;)

7. iGav macrumors G3

Yep, they won the first 4 World Championships in the '50's. And then re-entered F1 again in the mid '80's ('85-'87) and finally '89 through '91.

Anyway, I'd love to see Goodyear back in F1... with those wicked fat sidewall lettering. :D

8. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

AFAIK the Vipers and Corvettes have always been GTS-class racers and never in contention for the overall win, especially with the performance the LMP racers have nowadays.

But the Corvette C5R/C6R has won its class every time but once I believe.

9. CelticBhoy macrumors member

I thought he meant Bet Lynch was going back to Corrie !

10. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I didnt even start watching GP races until about two years ago. I would have if i had known they were on the speed channel :eek: . But i never have liked Ford. I have always been a Chevy guy/GMC. Did you mean that there was a Ford V8 in the Vipers and Vettes at Le Mans in recent years? Or Schumi? Im guessing thats a guy? I dont know really. And yea i think i do remember goodyear as the tire supplier in the 60s. From those old F1 videos...ah memories... half helmets, half your body sticking out, bugs in your teeth.

As far as Ford sucks(which they do). I was talking about ford cars and trucks, not racing cars. Wasn't ford that recalled some 2-3 million cars and trucks because of a wire in the cruse control shut off cylinder caused a few fires? I watched 60 minutes on CBS a while back, and a family had just moved to the USA, bought a brand new Explorer, and a F-150. The Explorer caught on fire, and burned about 80% of their house to the ground because it was in the garage.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I don't think I'll respond to that.. :rolleyes:
    Schumi = Michael Schumacher. He won the F1 WDC in 1994 (although some people contest this ;)) while driving a Ford-powered Benetton. He won in 1995 with Renault engines (same as the Williams had in 94/95, possibly earlier)
    Watch Grand Prix ;)
    All car manufacturers have had problems at some time or another. My mother's cousin's Grand Cherokee (this was at least 8 years ago) burnt due to, I think, an electrical fire. Of course, Ford is the company who reduced the recommended pressure on the OEM Explorer tires, to keep the car from rolling over in emergency maneuvers, without consulting the tire manufacturer...

12. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Ford has a much larger and longer presence in the international racing scene than General Motors IMHO. Ford has won F1 races, Le Mans, WRC championships, various classes of Touring Car and Saloon races, Australian Supercar, etc. GM's racing presence is relatively small outside the US - Opel races touring cars, the Corvette C5R/C6R runs (impressively I must add) in the Le Mans GTS class, and Holden competes in Australia...not much else. GM's bread and butter is NASCAR and the IRL.

As far as Ford v.s. GM in the US...who cares? they both suck, and apart from the Focus I wouldn't buy any of their stuff.

13. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

LOL - nice one

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yes Ford certainly has spent more time and money in international racing. Not that GM never dabbled until recently, but they haven't had the presence of Ford. Corvettes vs. Ford-powered Cobras and Daytona Coupes at Le Mans just before the GT-40 came around :cool:

The new Five Hundred seems to be pretty sweet. Can't say Ford didn't learn anything from when they bought Volvo. As far as G.M. is concerned, well, all three cars at my house are GM's ("my" '94 Corsica, and my parents' '04 LeSabre and '04 Rendezvous). The Rendezvous is the only one with independent rear suspension, the LeSabre is the longest (I think) and has the biggest engine/most power (3.8L V6, 200HP/205ft.lbs.). Weird that the car with AWD and the most interior room of all of our cars doesn't have the biggest engine (3.4L V6). Same happened when the Corsica (3.1L V6) and our '93 Caravan (3.0L V6) were the only cars we had. Granted, I'd take my brother's Impreza wagon over any of them.

And in regards to the Viper/Vette classification, I've read that the Viper was classified in GT1 in its first year at Le Mans, and got soundly trounced, leading to its subsequent switch to GTS.

15. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Ah, you're right, the 'vette is in GT1. GTS is the Porsche parade.

My best friend in High School had a '91 Grand Prix SE with the 3.1. The less said about that car the better. One of my biggest issues with GM is apart from the 'vette and the Monaro...oops...GTO they never pair a manual transmission with an engine bigger than a 4 cylinder except in their pickups. They offer a V6 in the majority of the cars they sell but you have to get a crappy 4-speed auto, or the fake flappy paddle shifter 4-speed in some Pontiacs. I'm just not a GM guy. ;)

The last GM car other than the 'vette that I really liked was the Caprice-based Impala SS, the last car really worthy of the SS badge.

I'm not a big fan of the Ford 500 - they should have made it rear-drive, although the optional AWD partially makes up for that. And it is underpowered - it should have a small V8 like the Taurus SHO had. And it's no replacement for the mighty Crown Vic - old people, taxi drivers and Cops will always be loyal to that car. :)

American car makers simply need to stop building huge front-wheel drive cars. Big stuff should be rear-drive or AWD. The Germans figured this out decades ago, and Chrysler is beginning to see the light thanks to Mercedes, so come on Ford and GM!

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

there are the prototypes (called "lmb" or something), GT1, and GT2

with 2005 the GTS has been renamed to GT1, so GTS = GT1 (and it's made up completly with mostly corvettes, f550s and 1 or 2 teams with aston martins)

GT2 is the porsche parade mostly ;)

17. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I actually skipped out on keeping up with Le Mans and ALMS this year so I'm way out of the loop. :eek:

The Corvette v.s. Ferrari battle was more fun to watch than all the Audi R8s in the LMP1 (I think it's still called) class the past couple years. Though I hear that Porsche is coming back...

18. Kup macrumors member

300 - 400 hp engines with rear wheel drive in the winter? That sounds like fun.:rolleyes: Have you ever driven a mustang or a 'vette in the snow & ice? On a more serious note, they at least made an attempt with the Mercury Marauder. Should have had a much bigger engine though.

19. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

As a matter of fact, the only cars I've driven day to day other than my front-drive Nissan were my dad's Ford Crown Vic (rear-drive, 4.6L V8 w/230+ lb-ft doughnut machine :) ) and 2 Toyota pickups (no weight over the drive wheels in the back and a torquey engine). They aren't as bad as people make them out to be - I've had no problems in Ohio winters.

Call me a cynic but I think that the reason people have problems is not that rear-drive cars are dangerous in the snow and wet. I think the problem is that people don't know how to drive.

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There are two prototype classes LMP900 and LMP600 (LMP = Le Mans Prototype). The 600's are smaller, lighter, and less powerful, and run about the same speed as the faster GT1 cars. GT1 has the Corvettes, Ferrari 550LMs, Saleen S7Rs, Aston Martin DB9R, and possibly some older Viper GTS-Rs. I think the Ferrari 360GT would run in that class if anyone used it. GT2 is mostly Porsches, with a few BMW M3's in there. Those are rare since the rule changes aimed at keeping the M3-GTR out took effect.

21. Kup macrumors member

True, true. After living in Pennsyltucky for the last two years, I firmly believe the study that showed 80% of Pennsylvanian's would fail a driving test if given one. Come to think of it, I believe that most Americans in general would fail a driving test. Donuts in a Crown Vic eh? That's the way to do it. Although I do prefer my buddy's Lincoln Mark VIII. :)