goofed up keyboard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lewie109, Mar 3, 2006.

1. lewie109 macrumors member

lewie109

Ibook has gone whacko, well with the keyboard anyway.... You know how F1 & F2 are the brightness control of the screen.... and F3-F5 are the sound and F12 is the Eject the cd button. When I use to push any of these buttons they would work as expected, but now I have to use the fn button to make them work..... I just found out now my numberlock button don't work with out pushing the fn button to.

I have went to he System Preferences, keyboard & mouse, keyboard shortcuts and there is nothing about the sound,brightness,eject, or numblock.

Please help,
    Lewie109:D

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Hmm, it sounds like you Fn key is working in the opposite way that it should. Is the Fn key sticking at all or did you happen to spill anything on he keyboard? This is the only explanation I can think of.

3. lewie109 thread starter macrumors member

lewie109

Sorry I posted twice!!!!

My ibook does have 10.3.9 installed, and O if u r wondering about the battery it did croak!!!

4. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

What?

5. lewie109 thread starter macrumors member

lewie109

No to both questions... if the fn key would be sticking it would be typing letters instead if letters. So it is not sticking and no I guard my 'book like nothing elese!!!

6. lewie109 thread starter macrumors member

lewie109

nevermind the stupid battery died.....

7. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Hmm...well you said that you checked the settings and those were fine, so I would just call Apple and see what they have to say about it. It could possibly be a bad keyboard.

8. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

go to system prefs, keyboard and mouse, keyboard, and find the checkbox that says "Use the f1-f12 keys to control software features".

checked, function keys go to the OS to activate exposé, do normal software functions
    unchecked, function keys go to the hardware to do volume, brightness, etc
    at any time you can hold the function key to make it do the opposite.