Google Acquires 'Bump', One of the App Store's First Hits

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 16, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Google is acquiring Bump for an undisclosed sum, according to a blog post by company cofounder David Lieb.

Bump's eponymous app allows users to share contact information, photos and more with other Bump users by 'bumping' devices with each other, including across platforms. Bump's apps will continue to operate normally for now.
    Bump is a free download for the iPhone and iPad on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Acquires 'Bump', One of the App Store's First Hits

2. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

AirDrop for iOS will make this obsolete!

3. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I just deleted my bump app. Im living google free!

4. macrumors regular

While air drop is better ..I remember when I first got this app and was tricking my friends with it

5. macrumors 6502

verpeiler

Never tested bump... but proprietary crap like airdrop is no solution...

6. macrumors 68020

guzhogi

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how would you AirDrop contact information on an iOS device?

7. macrumors 65816

kirky29

With iOS 7 you'd go to the contact and click 'share' then select the AirDrop device.

8. macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Sure, once everyone upgrades to an iPhone 5 or later.

9. macrumors regular

Unless you have a 'new' ios device. Airdrop doesn't show up on my Ipad 3. Sad to discover that as my mom has an Ipad2, and would be nice to airdrop stuff to her when I visit.

10. macrumors member

zencowboy

I've used bump to message to another country for free. Then swapped over to whatsapp since it was eaiser to connect and not have to bump someones phone 2500 miles away:)

11. macrumors 6502

Better yet how do you do it to a friend without an iPhone/ios device. Oh wait you can't because apple never creates ios apps for other platforms. This is why they loss to MS back in the day in the computer biz and it could repeat itself (though unlikely since they already have a massive loyal market share this time) in the mobile device world.

If google/android ever makes an sms integrated version of hangouts I'm defecting again to Android.

12. macrumors 65816

I hate proprietary stuff like airdrop, ichat, airplay, etc. Might work well within the Apple garden but interoperability is imperative these days. I'd take this further and say web browser access is also imperative - ie. I hate that to use iTunes I have to install iTunes. Cannot access via web browser. Oh, and is Apple's Maps app ever going to have browser access?

13. macrumors 68020

Do you have an ad blocker on your computers browser and are blocking ads on your iPhone/iPads browser? If not, you are not Google free.

14. macrumors 68000

BJMRamage

I tried Bump once...eventually the guy just emailed me photos...bump was not working.

I kept it on my phone but haven't touched it since. Hopefully you wont need a Google Log-in to get this working.

15. macrumors 68040

rwilliams

The standalone Maps app in Mavericks was what surprised me the most. It seems to make much more sense for Apple to have put Maps in the browser rather than a standalone application.

16. macrumors 65816

Risco

Airdrop trumps Bump...

17. macrumors 68040

rwilliams

But again, Bump wasn't limited to newer Apple iOS devices.

18. macrumors 68000

JarScott

Been doing that for a while now. I don't agree with Google or the things they seem to stand by these days. The only Google product I regularly use is YouTube.

19. macrumors 6502

FakeWozniak

Me too, not just phone, but Mac too. Glad to see Yahoo is making improvements.

20. macrumors 68000

JarScott

They've acquired a useless app. No one actually uses it, it sits ignored in most people folders even if they do have it installed. AirDrop is a step ahead.

21. macrumors G5

nagromme

It's a neat system, and it IS probably the easiest way I've found to get data from your iPhone to some random person's PC (spacebar instead of accelerometer). It's also something Samsung likes to think they invented :)

If it starts to need a Google login, I'll stop using it. If it's ad-supported without that--then ok, fair enough! And if it becomes Android exclusive, I won't shed too many tears. I'll just email the file.

It's a nice product (one I didn't appreciate until I tried it) but the use case, for me, is very rare.

Rare but not unheard of: AirDrop IS better, but it's iOS and Mac only.

22. macrumors 603

marksman

AirDrop > bump

23. macrumors 6502

Air drop = good
    cross platform = better

24. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

You guys do realize that Airdrop is "Apple-only". Bump will be for both platforms. Good luck using your Airdrop with your Android friends. And, before you label me as an Android fan, look at my signature.

25. macrumors 6502a

FYI... both Airdrop and Bump are proprietary. Perhaps that's not the word you meant to use?