Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
I want it soooo bad. I first saw the announcement last night and have been waiting. Still nothing. Oh well, I've waited this long, a few more days won't kill me.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
+1 for waiters here. I am so on the edge of my seat about this. I really, really, really, really, really want IMAP. I was so mad at GMail after using it for about a week on my iPhone that I moved my entire e-mail library over to my school mail account, which is on Exchange servers with IMAP support, and started using that. The synchronization is amazing and totally sweet. The junk mail is nothing short of depressing. My school account gets an unbelievable amount of junk mail, probably 75% of the stuff in my inbox (after the university mail "filter") is spam. It's such a pain on the iPhone. I can't wait to get back to an awesome mail filter with GMail.

Hurry up and give it to us, Google! Grah!!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Not showing up for me yet either, but I have faith. I'm just grateful they've finally switched it on. I can wait a few days while they roll it out.

IMO there really is nothing that can compare to gmail now. Fantastic spam filter, 4.3GB storage and counting, great simple web interface, POP3, IMAP etc. Brilliant!

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Doesn't work for me neither. Hope I can get it before 9th Nov... :(

I tried a new gmail acct and I could NOT get the IMAP there either, oh well have to wait and see what happens and when it happens, should be soon if there advertising all these demos and such, you know that Google is getting emails slamming them saying what the heck guys and gals?

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
It's like waiting on your invite to beta test Trillian for Mac... it just seems like it'll never get here! (Still no imap =/)

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
My brother has it, I created a new email and it got it, but my current one... nope.

I created tat new one to play around with it and it works great, it's awesome with the iPhone!

jcammo123

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
wow!
i guess im one of the lucky few to have access to the IMAP feature...

its cool and everything i guess...

but ive noticed that it takes longer to connect, and then check the email...

also the little dial at the top is constantly spinning, even after its done checking for new mail...

so if its constantly spinning, then that means your phone is working harder, resulting in a soon to be dead (out of charge) iPhone...

so why does it do that? or am i alone... hmmm

:: my 2 cents ::

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I tried a new gmail acct and I could NOT get the IMAP there either, oh well have to wait and see what happens and when it happens, should be soon if there advertising all these demos and such, you know that Google is getting emails slamming them saying what the heck guys and gals?

make sure you select NEW account, not new GMAIL account. That feature doesn't work yet with IMAP. If you follow the video instructions, you should not have any problems.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
make sure you select NEW account, not new GMAIL account. That feature doesn't work yet with IMAP. If you follow the video instructions, you should not have any problems.

I think you missed a step. :)

You first need to log in to your Gmail account and enable IMAP. What most of us are saying (I believe) is that we do not see the option to even turn on IMAP yet in our accounts. At least I don't. Once that's enabled, I can then go to my iPhone and follow the mailbox creation steps outlined in the video. :)

chopper dave

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
There's a lot of fuss about Gmail IMAP, but you should also check out their new iphone web interface at m.gmail.com. I've found it to be MUCH FASTER than the mail app, which I believe comes from not forcing download of readable attachments. Also, you can do one-touch deletes and access most of your usual gmail features. I feel like this is what mail should have been like on the mail app.

The only thing it is lacking are the usual apple integrations with other apps and background mail checking. Its compose functionality is limited as well, since it lacks a good address book auto-complete. I'm curious for the people with IMAP access- which do you like more, web or built-in? Compared to POP, I think I will keep it set up on the mail app for composition, but after it chimes in with new email, hop on Safari to read with the web interface. I just can't stand it when I get a 1mb attachment on EDGE and have to wait 2 minutes to read a friggin email.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I think you missed a step. :)

You first need to log in to your Gmail account and enable IMAP. What most of us are saying (I believe) is that we do not see the option to even turn on IMAP yet in our accounts. At least I don't. Once that's enabled, I can then go to my iPhone and follow the mailbox creation steps outlined in the video. :)

you are correct, I didn't mention that step because in my gmail setup, that option was already selected when I logged in. I assumed google made that the default.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
There's a lot of fuss about Gmail IMAP, but you should also check out their new iphone web interface at m.gmail.com. I've found it to be MUCH FASTER than the mail app, which I believe comes from not forcing download of readable attachments. Also, you can do one-touch deletes and access most of your usual gmail features. I feel like this is what mail should have been like on the mail app.

The only thing it is lacking are the usual apple integrations with other apps and background mail checking. Its compose functionality is limited as well, since it lacks a good address book auto-complete. I'm curious for the people with IMAP access- which do you like more, web or built-in? Compared to POP, I think I will keep it set up on the mail app for composition, but after it chimes in with new email, hop on Safari to read with the web interface. I just can't stand it when I get a 1mb attachment on EDGE and have to wait 2 minutes to read a friggin email.

Thanks for the tip. I have to admit, the web version is pretty nice. Might be better if I can sync my address books, and, as you say, add auto complete.

lawcomic

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
I don't mind admitting my ignorance of all things IMAP and POP.

What is the advantage of IMAP on GMail over POP?

Dfndr90

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
I have had the imap since late Tuesday night when I first saw it in my gmail settings. It is wicked fast when it comes to uploading and downloading emails you WILL notice a difference. I was in the original Gmail beta, but my wife just started her account and both of us were enabled in settings at the same time The folders work perfect too.

Matt...

FunkyJunk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Leesburg, VA, USA
I don't mind admitting my ignorance of all things IMAP and POP.

What is the advantage of IMAP on GMail over POP?

The short answer is it keeps your mailboxes in sync. Opening a message on your iPhone means it shows as "read" on your Mac, PC, etc., and vice-versa. With POP, every new message you get downloaded to your iPhone will show as "unread" even if you read it on your home computer.

There are other advantages, but that seems to be the biggie.

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
Google's explanation for sent message copies

does the new gmail IMAP prevent every email you send from your iphone from arriving back in your inbox as an unread email?

From the Google page on this issue:

If you notice that messages you send from your iPhone are appearing in your iPhone's inbox, please note that this POP behavior is a result of enabling Recent mode to ensure that all other POP clients will be able to access your messages. We're aware of this issue and thank you for your patience while we address this issue.

According to this page, "If you're accessing your Gmail using POP from multiple clients, Gmail's recent mode makes sure that all messages are made available to each client, rather than only to the first client to access new mail."

I configured a gmail account for my wife that I knew she would only access from her iPhone or the web, so I turned off recent mode. No more duplicate sent messages.

Andrew Dunne

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
iMap, Folders and Address Books

Does the imap synchronise all your folders too? How are your folders represented on GMail?

Does it handle your address book? Does anyone know of a way to synchronise your Address Book with GMail?

:apple: 17" Macbook Pro Intel Cor Duo :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.