Google and FTC Near Deal for Record $22.5 Million Fine over Safari Privacy Circumvention

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Wall Street Journal reports that Google and the U.S. Federal Trade Commission are nearing a deal that would see Google paying a record $22.5 million fine over its tactics to circumvent privacy settings in Safari on iOS to track users' behavior.
    The case centers on a loophole in Safari's default privacy settings, with Google taking advantage of the hole to make the browser think that the user was interacting with a given ad, thus allowing a tracking cookie to be installed. With that cookie installed, it became easy for Google to add additional cookies and to track users across the web as they visited other sites displaying ads from Google's networks.

Google has argued that the tracking was unintentional and that it did not harm consumers, but the Federal Trade Commission pointed to previous statements by Google regarding Safari's privacy settings as evidence that the company was misrepresenting its privacy practices.

Google's tactics are also under scrutiny from a number of state attorneys general, who may yet pursue additional action against the company.

Article Link: Google and FTC Near Deal for Record $22.5 Million Fine over Safari Privacy Circumvention

2. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

Good!

3. macrumors 65816

They deserve it. They shouldn't find exploits just for their advantage and violate users.

4. macrumors regular

Even though Chrome sounds like a good browser, this is why I don't use it. I just do not trust Google. I just get the sinking feeling years from now we'll find out Google has been tracking everything you do in your browser.

5. macrumors 68000

\-V-/

More reason not to use Chrome. Then again... if there's data you don't want to be used this way in general, you shouldn't be putting it online. Still a lame move on Google's part.

6. macrumors 68040

KdParker

Well. you can bet chrome does same kind of tracking

7. macrumors 6502a

8. macrumors 68040

KdParker

putting online and surfing the web are totally different things. You should be able to surf around and not have Google tracking you.

9. macrumors 68020

Yeah, this really did tarnish Googles otherwise chromy reputation (all puns fully intended)

10. macrumors G5

nagromme

This will hit Google hard. They won’t easily swallow that amount, at least at first

But then they’ll lift a second sofa cushion. Problem solved!

11. macrumors 68020

RedCroissant

It's pretty awesome that the fine is substantial as opposed to a simple slap on the wrist and being told not to do it again.

I didn't use Google services much at all before this story first broke and stopped using Google almost completely afterward.

It's also nice to see Apple moving away from Google as a business partner and perhaps this story will cause many of the consistent Google users to reconsider their use.

12. macrumors 6502a

Is it time to sell GOOG and buy AAPL?

13. macrumors 68000

deannnnn

They can afford it.

14. macrumors regular

I liked Google back when they created a good search engine.

Now I hate Google because they have littered the internet with advertising.

15. macrumors member

Pretty sure they're already tracking us and not just in the browser. Give the privacy policy a read http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/. It's pretty enlightening and also a little creepy in my opinion.

16. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Every now and again I start thinking "you know....Google isn't all that bad. Maybe I'll start using some more of their services".

Then articles like this come out and I remember why I quit using their stuff in the first place.

17. macrumors regular

Re:

Kill the wabbit.... Kill the wabbit...

18. macrumors newbie

What's the alternative? Bing it!

19. macrumors 65816

SockRolid

Stepped up evil -> stepped up fines. Makes perfect sense.

----------

And they've even polluted their own search results with pay-for-placement ads.
    How the mighty have fallen.

20. macrumors G5

Consultant

It seems that Google can no longer fool regulators.

21. macrumors newbie

Or go with Yahoo. Yahoo has always been my homepage/email/search engine.
    Too bad Firefox has gone to complete crap in the past year (AKA past 10 full number updates). Not a fan of any of the three browsers, but Chrome is the lesser of the three evils in my opinion.

22. macrumors 6502

dokujaryu

Yet another example of how suing companies for things like this makes no difference. Google won't even feel that. Just making them admit they hacked browsers will cost them more in brand damages.

23. macrumors 6502

ever since google got busted driving around europe stealing wifi data, then saying "oh we didnt know we were doing that, its a bug" i stopped trusting them.. and once again theyre showing what kind of snakes they are. They couldve been a really cool company and gone far but greed is a powerful force.

24. macrumors 68000

deannnnn

To be perfectly honest, I don't understand why people freak out about these "privacy concerns." It's not like they're stealing your social security number or your credit cards, they're tracking your web habits to better tailor their services to you. I'd rather have ads specifically designed for me than just random whatever. They're not tricking me into buying anything, they're just saying hey, you looked at t-mobile.com recently, here's what they offer if you're still interested.

25. macrumors 6502a

louis Fashion

show me the money

Hey wait, they track ME and the GOVERNMENT gets the fine cash?
    I want my cut.