Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OH!MAC™

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
does crapify still make you link your facebuck? does this need your Gaagle + linked?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
How many streaming audio services do we need? Surely we'll see some consolidation in the next few years. This doesn't serve my personal needs but why can't Google or Apple come up with a Netflix style streaming and do it better (with a larger catalog) at similar or better prices?

7.99 is a better price no?

How many OSes do we need?
How many brands of cars, microwaves, tvs, game systems, etc do we need?

Different strokes for different folks. It's all about the ecosystem and getting customers to stick with yours.

tairamo

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
can't buy vision with money...

Someone once said "vision means, you don't try whatever to find out what works" and Google has made it very clear during the past years - there's simply NOT a single person with a VISION in that company.
Not so sure about Tim Cook's camp either..signs are very bad indeed.

Anyhow, it's already pretty obvious that people aren't willing to pay for music and none of the existing business models (advertising or subscriptions) works.

ironic enough..we've got the answers but haven't found the right investor yet

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Not interested on paying 10 bucks a month... oh well.!

That's completely fine for you. I, on the other hand, find my Spotify subscription to be indispensable. For $120/year, I can stream unlimited albums at 320 kbps bitrate with no ads. It's the world's jukebox. I've probably listened to 100 different albums in the last months alone. For that price, I could buy 12 albums on iTunes. Sure, you own the music with iTunes and you all are free to choose that route.

But I'd rather have unlimited access to hundreds of thousands of albums instead.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
what a joke, $120 a year? no thanks
I still dont see why people "buy" digital music, much less "rent" it...
they will just have a new high bandwidth 24bit format soon
and the networks will slow down once again
data plans will explode and everyone gets price gouged, awesome:confused:

PS. I only buy vinyl records... :cool:
superior sound, art, and the ability to resell (usually at a profit)

how old are you? serious question i think its a age thing my uncle is the same while i havent bought a cd since like 2003 when the Pokemon: The Movie soundtrack came out

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Why does there have to be something to switch people? Is everyone ON spotify?

Second - the reason why some might switch is because they like Google's ecosystem and want a one stop shop. This provides that.

Also - I don't think you can access your entire music library anywhere via spotify. Right? With Google's service - you can - in addition to millions of tracks

Good points, though for many people number two is a drawback. I pay for Spotify for music discovery and use iTunes Match for access to my music library. Combined both are cheaper than Google's service though it's not that much less.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
but Pandora sucks. you cant simply play what you want i always end up just skipping till i reach the limit cuz it never plays what i want.

this has the best of both "worlds" like Spotify which i will stick with cuz it does not get added to my data volume on my iPhone.

gonna laugh if apple announces "iRadio" when everyone else offers both in one deal

You need to build better stations then. I never have issues making good stations on Pandora.

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
Not a big fan of the subscription based services for media. Especially Music and Movies...
I'd prefer to buy and own forever. At $10 a month... or $120 / year.... it's a joke. I personally don't spend that much on Music in a year.
Frankly, imho, there isn't that much good stuff out there worth that kind of $$.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Good points, though for many people number two is a drawback. I pay for Spotify for music discovery and use iTunes Match for access to my music library. Combined both are cheaper than Google's service though it's not that much less.

Often google offers music cheaper. And right now if you sign up - their streaming service is 7.99 a month.

What's cheaper?

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
what a joke, $120 a year? no thanks
I still dont see why people "buy" digital music, much less "rent" it...
they will just have a new high bandwidth 24bit format soon
and the networks will slow down once again
data plans will explode and everyone gets price gouged, awesome:confused:

PS. I only buy vinyl records... :cool:
superior sound, art, and the ability to resell (usually at a profit)

Wait, let me get my portable recorder player out.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
A lot of people don't like listening to single songs by different artists and instead want to hear albums. Pandora is completely useless to someone like me, free or not. I'll gladly pay $10 a month for access to many hundreds of thousands of full albums. This is why Apple's offering, if it's modelled after Pandora, is going to be a non-starter for me. No albums, no deal.

That's true, for me it doesn't matter. I like a variety, and I wouldn't listen to multiple songs by the same person in a row but I can understand that. If, as someone posted, there is an ad based version of this available then I'd definitely look into it. But I don't think it's worth paying for for my needs.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
lol "on demand"? u rather pay 10 bucks for ONE album u may not even like after a month than pay 10 bucks for unlimited albums anywhere you go?

---
if only apple would release a "spotify" for tv shows ... which will never happen with those greedy networks but one can dream

Keep in mind that most people probably don't spend more than $10 a year on music period. With Google's service, you're talking about a $120/yr investment. So while the market for buying individual albums and songs may shrink, it should still continue to exist. The music industry continues to strive.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
I'd rather spend $120 on vinyl each year. Spotify + Youtube + Bandcamp are good enough for my streaming needs.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I use and like Spotify. Would be sad if this puts Spotify out of business. I try not to use Google services if I don't have to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.