Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcb10

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
SF looks lovely

After that video, I really want to spend some more time in San Francisco. That presentation even made Lake Merced look nice!

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
That stage and event center looks absolutely pitiful for a company like Google. Looks like the event was staged half-@ssed to try to upstage Apple next week.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
yeah i heard this was in development for about... 1-2 minutes, (NOT):(

how on earth can you call this last minute?

Well everyone knew Apple bought C3, who had been developing this for a while, so Google have had since Apple bought C3 to start developing their own version, which is why they only showed a small demo, gave no actual release date. Apple will announce theirs on monday, with a release in the next few months, if it's in iOS 6 like everything points to.

If Google had announced a release date and it was in the next 3 months, then i'd have given Google the benefit of the doubt. reeks of desperation to try and spoil apple's announcement......

Last edited:

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Lol, Google's not going anywhere. Just like Apple isn't gonna suddenly enter the aviation business and put Boeing out. Apple isn't the world-dominating company some people think they are :rolleyes:

Then why are they one of the most valued companies, right behind Exxon?

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011

hmmm

galaxy-nexus-something-big.jpg

Renzatic

Suspended
Owning an Android phone makes a statement, and that statement is: "Yeah, this is where I am in life. It's not where I want to be, but I'm doing my best."

I like walking into places with my iPhone prominently displayed in hand. It attracts people to me, shows them I have taste in the tools I choose to use, and defines me as the person I want to be. That's right folks, I am defined by the things I buy, because if it weren't for Apple's sleek designs, I wouldn't have any personality otherwise.

Sorry, but I think this has to be the most obnoxious thing I've ever read anywhere on the internet. I mean it's...it's...it's a $500 PHONE! Nothing less, nothing more. Hell, you could buy one after two months worth of trips selling plasma. It is a statement for NOTHING!

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
By that logic all map and gps apps will be removed from the store. [...]

Not necessarily. Just the ones that don't use Apple's forthcoming mapping API.
Location services already has its own Cocoa API. Mapping services will too.

Bad news for Google. They make far more from iOS than they do from Android. No surprise, really.

mertyz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
Is there some kind of a law stating that Stanford campus should always be shot in the same exact direction, starting from the same exact position?

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
After following the live blog through I think there's certainly an argument to be made that Google are, at the very least, worried. There seemed to be no real flow, no drive, no point to the presentation and few major featured other than a 3D map that isn't available yet and, worse, with no real date as to WHEN it may be up and running (and they also glossed over the fact that another new feature, offline maps for Android, has been available for a while as part of Google Labs).

Now please don't get me wrong, this isn't in any way a gloat at Google or an 'Apple is teh be5t!' post. But it's clear that Google are going to be looking nervously towards Moscone West next Monday and, as they're the current maps provider for iOS, it seems safe to assume Apple will indeed be unveiling their own solution. And if for no other reason than offering serious competition the tech industry should be grateful. Certainly it won't hurt to have a company with the reach in mobile that Apple does pushing Google to deliver a better product.

As for the 3D stuff, I maintain that this is going to be a huge selling point for those that struggle with 2D maps, especially when used on-foot. Of course that assumes they can get the camera view down low enough to give a reasonable approximation of what you should be seeing but the c3 videos that are available suggest they could get pretty close. More interesting will be how this stuff links to the rest of the device and how mapping is integrated into other services.

Someone mentioned the business case and that's a very good point. Google, after all, needs to make money from its mapping product, either via search or (as we've recently seen) charging third parties to access it. That policy has driven away some VERY big names recently so they're going to have to have an astonishing product to make it work. Apple, on the other hand, doesn't really care about any of that. It makes its profit on the device itself, maps is just another feature to help ship tens of millions of iOS devices so they can more easily justify a large investment.

Whatever happens I'm really looking forward to seeing what Apple has in store on Monday.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Would apple even allow google to have their maps app in the app store if they themselves want to get into the map business??

I hope they do, especially if it turns out Google Maps is superior. And considering the time, money, and energy Google has put into maps all these years I think it will be.

There are other mail apps, browser apps, reminder apps, messaging apps, out there. Why wouldn't they allow maps apps?

I think there is nothing to be worried about Apple bringing their own maps. Healthy competition. And you can only expect improvements to their maps since this would be their entry.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Siri, one of the least reliable and least useful Apple products of the decade, is going to single handedly defeat one of the world's most reliable and well-known search engines? Lol :D

Not now or any time in the near future, but yes. Google search will be replaced if they don't innovate. In its current state Google requires us to pare down our input into keywords. Siri will allow us to use our actual train of thought.

Now Google could come out with some new search innovations between now and then, but Siri is the general direction that computing will be heading.

Go back to 1998 and Yahoo probably thought the same about Google.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Bad news for Google. They make far more from iOS than they do from Android. No surprise, really.

Are you saying that Apple will ditch Tomtom, Navigon, etc?

Ah, no, you're only acting like you act always

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Then why are they one of the most valued companies, right behind Exxon?

AAPL market cap passed XOM quite a while ago.

AAPL market cap right now: 534.35B
XOM market cap right now: 374.93B

Oh, and GOOG market cap right now: 189.27B
Pretty darn good for an adspam company.

----------

Are you saying that Apple will ditch Tomtom, Navigon, etc?

Ah, no, you're only acting like you act always

Yes, I'm saying it could happen.
Yes, acting like always.

But hey, it's a free country. Fandroids and Google apologists are welcome to post on MacRumors.
More traffic means higher ad revenue for MacRumors. And Fandroids and Google apologists
(of all people) should understand the importance of ad revenue.

96% of Google's revenue comes from ads.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag

Apple could also include a tazer in their next iOS devices that shocks you every time you make something up with no evidence.

By your logic Apple forces everyone to use CoreData instead of their own databases in apps.

Seriously, as long as Google doesn't use private Apple APIs their fine. I mean, Google Maps via Safari works. Are they going to shut that down too? Did they prevent people from using AdSense when they announced iAds?

Just stop with the FUD. Really.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I like walking into places with my iPhone prominently displayed in hand. It attracts people to me, shows them I have taste in the tools I choose to use, and defines me as the person I want to be. That's right folks, I am defined by the things I buy, because if it weren't for Apple's sleek designs, I wouldn't have any personality otherwise.

Sorry, but I think this has to be the most obnoxious thing I've ever read anywhere on the internet. I mean it's...it's...it's a $500 PHONE! Nothing less, nothing more. Hell, you could buy one after two months worth of trips selling plasma. It is a statement for NOTHING!

Brilliant :D

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
But hey, it's a free country. Fandroids and Google apologists are welcome to post on MacRumors.

You mean, fandroids like you, no?

Because it is impossible that a normal person can act like you act, only someone that wants to insult Apple and people that like Apple products can say the silly things you say

tdmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
There are other mail apps, browser apps, reminder apps, messaging apps, out there. Why wouldn't they allow maps apps?

I think there is nothing to be worried about Apple bringing their own maps. Healthy competition. And you can only expect improvements to their maps since this would be their entry.

I don't think they wouldn't allow maps. But... There is a big difference to being a separate app on the device vs. being the go to default/integrated app that is used by various applications on the device.

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
Panic

Sorry but I'd have to agree with others here that this really looked like a panic press release given the timing near WWDC and it not being available anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.