Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Gee good thing they rushed right out to present... that... to us. ...right now.

Talk about a mad scramble to preemptively save face.

Google has been neglecting maps. Glad to see Apple's not content to let it stagnate.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Google is in panic mode, and this ad hoc presentation with no product availability date show it. They're basically saying "Hey, we used to be important in maps." What's worse is that Apple will probably move completely away from Google in the next few years. Maps is just the beginning; Google search will be obsoleted when Siri and semantic voice search comes to its full potential.

:confused:

Sorry, you say 'we used to be important in maps'. When exactly did they stop being important? Come to think of it, when did they stop being 'THE' map provider.

Everyone uses Google Maps, its the most accurate option. If you seriously think that Apple are going to swoop in and destroy that with a single release you're extremely delusional.

Google are VERY good at maps, they are the only ones out of the big map players who have invested in their own Satellites, aircraft and infrastructure to see the continuing improvement. You dont actually think Apple will create an entire department of hundreds of people for Maps do you?!

Edit: Dont bother replying. I've just seen your narrow-minded signature...pathetic.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
Google Holds Its Breath and Tries to Sow Doubt About Apple's Maps
http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/0...sow-doubt-about-apples-upcoming-maps-feature/

"My favorite answer came from Brian McClendon, VP of Engineering for Google Maps. He was asked “is this a google response to Apple developing their own mapping platform?”

Here’s his reply:

There’s a lot going on in mapping right now and we wanted to be able to tell our story and cover more than just the new features. We’re very proud of how far we’ve come in terms of comprehensiveness accuracy and usability and we also wanted to share these innovations.

Let me translate for you:

There’s a lot going on in mapping, namely that Apple is going to kick us off of iOS next week. We wanted to focus on all of the history of Google Maps, rather than the future because we have basically nothing new to announce right now. Hopefully you’ll see our accomplishments as impossible for Apple to duplicate.

Apple has yet to introduce its product. Google has nothing to compete against. So why the event today?"

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I'm just mad that I'm more than likely going to waste app space because Ill have to have two maps apps on my device now.

Come on Apple....get it right the first time.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Meanwhile, back on planet earth. :D

How lucky we ALL are to have a company such as Google mapping the entire earth for us.
Only a few years ago, no, Google maps, No Google Earth.
We forget just how much work, time and effort has been done, and, in effect given to the worlds population to all use for free.
There is a lot of hate (esp here) for Google, but really, we should be so grateful, no other company would have gone out and done this for the mass public and just let us all use it like this.

I think you misspelled Navteq, Teleatlas, NASA, and a few other organizations.....

3D cityscapes were available in some models of Sony-bult indash GPS systems about a decade ago. It's been so long, articles talking about it arn't even on Google. (or just impossible to find without the old magazines.)

Google Earth, Bing Maps, etc. all were built on a boatload of technology that most people never knew existed. Trying to give props to Google (or MS, or Apple) without recognizing who actually did the work is just naive.

I'll credit Google for making it free by paying for it, but you should know they didn't do the most of the work.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Is there some kind of a law stating that Stanford campus should always be shot in the same exact direction, starting from the same exact position?

They probably knew that any other flyby path would make Stanford campus unrecognizable. :)

C

champ01

So what are you saying? "I care less about the things I do on a computer, and more about the computer itself"? Wow.

I care about innovation, privacy, honesty. I care little for companies that I mentioned.

The fact that Tim Cook loves a company like Facebook doesn't comfort me.
What is Facebook really contributing to Apple for users who don't want 5000 friends that they never see or speak with in real life.
Do we need Google to grow even bigger then they already are? Do we trust them and other companies with all the information we are giving them without even knowing about it most of the time?
I don't trust these companies as much as I trust Apple with information. (can't proof it, but its a feeling I've created for myself over the years)

I care for Apple to stand on their own feet with amazing hardware and software. Apple has great talent on board and can be the best in most areas.
Being less depended on others creates a platform of maximum creativity.
Just my opinion. :)

SirROM

macrumors member
May 1, 2006
Trojan Horse, anyone?

After reading these posts, I had a thought…

What if Apple replicates the play they did with Microsoft many years ago? They released QuickTime for Windows as a trojan horse and then iTunes. What if they created a great mapping solution and released it as a free solution on Android?

I know the dynamics are different in that Apple really is dominant and one questions if they should "validate" Google's position. However, this could be an interesting way to undermine Google in their own backyard. Apple doesn't need any revenue from that effort, but it might decrease Google's ability to profit from map revenues if Apple does a better job and people prefer it.

Probably won't happen, but I like the thought of it anyway. :D

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I have trouble imagining that Apple can do better maps than Google… I sure hope Apple doesn't ditch Google maps just because they don't like Google, especially if their own maps aren't as good as Google's.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Then why are they one of the most valued companies, right behind Exxon?

They are more valuable than Exxon, by the way. None the less, how does that make them world dominating in any remote way. Apple represent a picoscopic amount of every business that exists in the world. They just dominate smartphone and tablets.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
It's a great time for those of us who love maps!!! Between this and what Apple likely has brewing, the next year or two is in for a giant leap in personal, mobile 3D map technology.

When you look at this stuff, you just get that feeling of, "We DO live in The Future!" :D

Exactly!

I love that Apple is getting into maps, they got into cameras and explained at their press conference that megapixels weren't everything and lenses, sensors are what matters and everyone stopped with the megapixel race(except for Nokia), overnight and concentrated on lenses, sensors and camera features instead.

And now Apple is getting seriously into maps, look for a really fierce competition and for everyone to up their games in mapping, navigation and discovery, Apple, Google, Nokia/Microsoft.

The industry knows Apple is the leader and looks at Apple, if Apple goes in a certain direction, the others concentrate on that too.

Also, if Apple does use OpenStreetMap, imagine the amount of boost it's going to give to the project.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I'm sure Apple's solution will be more impressive in terms of "new features".

However, what I feel they won't match (at least at first) is Google's map search engine and overall reliability.

Google Maps is simply very effective at what it does, and it took Google years and years to perfect it, while Apple's solution will not have been tested by a large number of users when it will launch, and will likely have glitches or downtimes which is obviously what you don't want it that kind of app. For maps and navigation, reliability is more important than any kind of 3D gimmick IMO.

Well said. Apple has a long way to go to even compete with google maps.

Glad to hear theyll have a stand alone app but that sucks we'll be forced to use a sub par apple maps program.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Then why are they one of the most valued companies, right behind Exxon?

Right behind Exxon? Apple is well past Exxon as the most valuable company in the world. They past Exxon back at $500 a share.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
After reading these posts, I had a thought…

What if Apple replicates the play they did with Microsoft many years ago? They released QuickTime for Windows as a trojan horse and then iTunes. What if they created a great mapping solution and released it as a free solution on Android?

I know the dynamics are different in that Apple really is dominant and one questions if they should "validate" Google's position. However, this could be an interesting way to undermine Google in their own backyard. Apple doesn't need any revenue from that effort, but it might decrease Google's ability to profit from map revenues if Apple does a better job and people prefer it.

Probably won't happen, but I like the thought of it anyway. :D

That is a flawed analogy. QuickTime and iTunes were necessary because they defined platforms vital to Apple's success in multimedia (more so iTunes but that itself was dependent on the groundwork put forth by QuickTime).

What would Apple gain by releasing a free maps app for Android (and it has to be free or no one would use it)? I can't think of anything unless they suddenly release iAd for Android and improve iAd drastically. What would they lose? Money and time. They'd have to make it compatible with xyz Android devices which is arguably more difficult than Windows due to the OEMs messing around with Android. I doubt there would be a significant halo effect either.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Google is in panic mode, and this ad hoc presentation with no product availability date show it. They're basically saying "Hey, we used to be important in maps."

Google used to be important in maps? Really?

And they use to be important in search too. :rolleyes:

Google is just stealing thunder with what they have on the shelf. It's not a panic move. It's a way to cheapen the apple announcement for very little effort.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Not necessarily. Just the ones that don't use Apple's forthcoming mapping API.
Location services already has its own Cocoa API. Mapping services will too.

Bad news for Google. They make far more from iOS than they do from Android. No surprise, really.

Again, this logic is fundamentally flawed and is FUD.

Apple does not ban functionality if it isn't using their API.

There is evidence for this and no evidence against it.

Seriously, name a case of Apple doing this. Stop spreading FUD.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
They probably knew that any other flyby path would make Stanford campus unrecognizable. :)
hchung is right.

The Palm Drive flyover approaching the Oval, the Main Quad and the Memorial Church -- and with Hoover Tower to the left -- is really the easiest way to identify Stanford University, plus this is the oldest and most historic part of the campus.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Google abandoned iOS's maps for 4 years. They start improving it because Apple decided to develop their own maps. Don't be evil, Google! :mad:

Just going to point out Google was never in charge of nor development the map app on the iPhone it sucks is Apple more or less abandon it 4 years ago.
The only thing Google provided was back end data. App it self was Apple's job and Apple failed at doing that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.