Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Okay, the wifi privacy intrusions, releasing their phone without multi-touch, and the awful site redesign, I could forgive. But now they've gone too far. :mad:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/fashion/16cougar.html?hpw

NY Times said:
IF you’re a woman who would like to date younger men, you can find lots of articles about these relationships by doing a Google search.

But as a woman looking for a man, you might be a little confused by the advertisements that accompany these articles. One promises to help you find sexy Latin women, and another, hot Latvian ladies. But there are no links to the growing number of “cougar” dating sites, matching older women with younger men, on content sites that show up in a Google search. Google has recently deemed those dating sites “nonfamily safe,” and therefore its ads for such sites containing the word “cougar” will not be allowed on so-called content pages.

The Google advertising system has two components: one for ads that appear next to search results, and one for its content network. For a company like CougarLife.com, now banned from the content network, that means its ads will no longer appear on more than 6,700 Web sites, including Ask.com, YouTube and MySpace, which accounted for 60 percent of its traffic, said Thomas Koshy, vice president for marketing at CougarLife, a Toronto-based site that says it has a half-million members, men and women.

Google continues to allow similar advertising for the many sites that match older men and younger women, like DateAMillionaire.com, which assures its clients they can meet “sugar babies.”

So cougars and cubs are out, but sugar daddies and sugar babies are in.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Lecherousness, apparently it's not created equally. :rolleyes:

I also would hazard a guess that the emotional damage in both dating scenarios is actually worse for the younger woman - older man than the younger man - older woman. (because VERY generally speaking men are often more content with relationships built primarily around sex.) But as ever, "it's a man's world".

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
back on topic. i thought the thread would be about mac os x.7 (maybe codename: cougar) or basically links closely related to apple...

I'm sure I'll be the last person on MacRumors to ever post a thread speculating about the cat name that will go with the next version of OS X. :p

And DC, ahh, yes, DC.... Good times. :)

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Bah! Looks like I'll have to meet cougars the old fashioned way --- at children's playgrounds and cosmetic counters at a department store.

Don't forget Trader Joe's! Once you're done shopping, she'll drive you back to her home, open a bottle of wine, and throw on some Eurythmics.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm sure I'll be the last person on MacRumors to ever post a thread speculating about the cat name that will go with the next version of OS X. :p

And DC, ahh, yes, DC.... Good times. :)

Actually already wrote about it couple of months ago, you can find it if you google:
10.7 snow cougar

DC is the fricken upside down world where girls my age go for old bolding fugly dudes and I got hit on by quite a number of older women.

Dude, it's a joke.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Don't forget Trader Joe's! Once you're done shopping, she'll drive you back to her home, open a bottle of wine, and throw on some Eurythmics.

I can do way better than two buck Chuck! But actually, I volunteered to serve wine at a wine tasting once, and it was pretty surreal... towards the end, there were these two women, and they were like, "You're so beautiful, just you standing there makes the wine taste good." :eek:

(At this rate, this is going to be the first thread started by a moderator to get wastelanded in a long time. :D )

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Except that those tester ladies who are always spraying things everywhere kind of disturb me.

Lavender Snipers

I've always wondered why they're called 'Cougars' anyway. If you're in the UK and seeking involvement, try Post Offices on Tuesdays and Thursdays- pension day :D

JackHobbs

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
London
And if the post office doesn't grab you there is always bingo nights or hanging round a I meeting (Womens Institute). If you fail to get a date at the WI, at least you might get a nice slice of cake and a cup of tea!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Lavender Snipers

I've always wondered why they're called 'Cougars' anyway. If you're in the UK and seeking involvement, try Post Offices on Tuesdays and Thursdays- pension day :D

And if the post office doesn't grab you there is always bingo nights or hanging round a I meeting (Womens Institute). If you fail to get a date at the WI, at least you might get a nice slice of cake and a cup of tea!

Just to be clear... Americans don't really mean random elderly women when we say cougar. :p At least I usually mean good looking, successful women in their 40s or 50s who date younger men.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.