Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
Pathetic if you live in a big city!

The iPhone "knows" where you are within a few blocks (to within a few feet).

Every other search technique on the iPhone makes full use of the Location Services to be useful. It's puzzling that Google would release such a backwards program.

Unless it's part of their plan to make iPhones and Apple look bad to promote Android and Chrome OS. Google's motives are becoming unclear.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Is not working correctly a the moment. It said that I'm in PA! That's like 4 hours away from where I am!!! :|

Make sure you are not connected to your wireless. That might be where your internet routes thru. My internet connection always thinks I am somewhere I am not. Almost ninja like. :D

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Using this with the google app to just say the thing you're searching for is great.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
i dont see how this benefits us...

The example above says "search for Pizza" and google knows your location, but isn't that the same as searching on google maps, and then you get a much better idea of where things are, you can still view the company's website, and other details.

I cant see any reason to search with a location as specific as is collected.

What if you are searching for something local that wouldn't be displayed on a map, like a wiki article or local news/weather?

C'mon, this is a good thing. Now where's Latitude and gmail push?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
works for me

I tried it both wifi and 3g on pizza worked perfect! I then asked it for my favorite pizza place and pulled the web site right up.

mattfr

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
Paris, France
That's working

Just tried it in Google Local, "update my location" showing right up in Safari.
Works perfectly even outside the US/UK, even detecting mid sized cities here in France. I could only try that on google.com in english though.

Cheers,

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
Tried it. Works pretty well. But google usually found results in my home area before. I guess now it updates depending on where you are. Cool, but not mind blowing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.