Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google announced in a blog post today that it is implementing some of Waze's features in the Google Maps applications for both iOS and Android. Beginning today (the update is rolling out gradually), users of both devices will be able to view real-time incident reports from Waze users, including accidents, construction zones, road closures and more.

The rollout is currently limited to 13 countries, including the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, and Mexico, and will rely on data from Waze's user base, which was reported in June to be nearing 50 million users.

waze_incident1.png
Users of Waze are not being left in the dark either, as Google will be gradually rolling out its powerful Search feature into both the web and mobile versions of the Waze service, which will allow for more accurate search results, including the ability to search for local businesses and specific addresses. The Waze Map Editor also features Google Street View after a public beta testing period, which should allow for more accurate maps and route planning.

Waze began as an Israeli startup back in 2008 and was acquired by Google in June of this year for a reported $1.03 billion. It had been rumored that Apple was considering purchasing the company in order to improve its own mapping service, which suffered a number of teething problems since the start, but the deal reportedly fell through over differences in Waze's perceived valuation. Unlike other Google buyouts, such as that of Sparrow, the development of Waze is still active and there are currently no plans to merge the two products.

Article Link: Google Brings Waze Features to Google Maps for iOS and Android

dpear

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
Now for what everyone really wants to know... will the Waze police reports show up in the Maps app too? ;)

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess they aren't going to make the Police alerts visible to Google Maps users.

Edit: Totally wrote my post before seeing yours, dpear.

chardzard

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Will this be coming in the form of an app update? Or will these just start appearing in the existing version of the Google Maps app?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Now for what everyone really wants to know... will the Waze police reports show up in the Maps app too? ;)

Yep, this is the main reason Waze gets opened every single time I get in my car, incredibly useful feature. Other good stuff too, like road hazards and the real time traffic flow. I haven't used google maps or apple maps in months and months.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Between the Waze info and the ads Google just added will anyone be able to actually see the map?

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
apple wants to stay number 1, and that's why they're constantly updating nad improving their maps app

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Certainly hope there wont be any ads in Waze, but was also hoping some of the Google data about traffic congestion they currently gather would also makes its way to Waze, not solely Waze to Google as it appears.

I realise they bought Waze to improve Google Maps, but honestly feel Waze is a better option for me. Quite active in improving roads too.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Okay, now merge the maps with Google's maps - Waze is a lot more precise for my country.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
apple wants to stay number 1, and that's why they're constantly updating nad improving their maps app

Exactly what does Apple want to stay "number 1" at?

They aren't #1 in the mobile arena
They aren't #1 in the desktop OS arena
They aren't #1 in total apps in App Store

They are #1 in a dying market of iPods and currently Profit in App Market profit.

They are barely hanging on if they even are to a single vendor being number 1 with Samsung far exceeding Apple in sales in the last 3 quarters.

What do you want Apple to stay #1 in?

Wake up and read an article outside of an Apple Forum. The market is not what it was when the iPhone had no real competition and never will be again.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
How is it you aren't getting ads in waze?

Are you still on an older version or something?

Certainly hope there wont be any ads in Waze, but was also hoping some of the Google data about traffic congestion they currently gather would also makes its way to Waze, not solely Waze to Google as it appears.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
That is one busy looking UI. I wish Google would just get rid of the green... it's unnecessary and clutters the interface.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
Exactly what does Apple want to stay "number 1" at?

They aren't #1 in the mobile arena
They aren't #1 in the desktop OS arena
They aren't #1 in total apps in App Store

They are #1 in a dying market of iPods and currently Profit in App Market profit.

They are barely hanging on if they even are to a single vendor being number 1 with Samsung far exceeding Apple in sales in the last 3 quarters.

What do you want Apple to stay #1 in?

Wake up and read an article outside of an Apple Forum. The market is not what it was when the iPhone had no real competition and never will be again.

Bahahahahaha! Apple's still the best tech company out. Still #1.

Salty much? :)

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Bahahahahaha! Apple's still the best tech company out. Still #1.

Salty much? :)

Apple makes the most profit (barely now with Samsung) than any other single vendor in the mobile arena.

Microsoft makes the most profit of any Desktop OS. Does that make Microsoft #1 using your logic?

What is "Bahahahahaha"? Is that the new Apple Fan signature?

SMH

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I've got the update in Atlanta. I don't know why they didn't include the timestamp on the Waze events. That makes the feature borderline useless.

Cartoonkid

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2009
I actually I want to know is when Google will shut down Waze. Because I fear it is coming...

Same here. Waze is awesome everywhere I've needed it, but the in-map ads are annoying the hell out of me. If I want to know where Taco Bell is, I'll search for it (or just drive another 20 feet and find the next one).

If Google bastardizes it much more, I'll drop Waze like a hot rock and start using any number of alternative GPS/map apps, including Apple's native map.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I don't know if they will kill it off, rename it, or something worse. The advertisements are already pretty bad.

I think that the real question, is what alternatives are their to Waze? In addition to the GPS, I like/use the traffic report and the police report. I never understood the social media tie-ins. I can't imagine a worse time to be in social media then when I am driving down the road.

I actually I want to know is when Google will shut down Waze. Because I fear it is coming...

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Same here. Waze is awesome everywhere I've needed it, but the in-map ads are annoying the hell out of me. If I want to know where Taco Bell is, I'll search for it (or just drive another 20 feet and find the next one).

If Google bastardizes it much more, I'll drop Waze like a hot rock and start using any number of alternative GPS/map apps, including Apple's native map.

The ads only pop up when you're stopped.

I greatly enjoy Waze and get a lot out of it. A Taco Bell or Home Depot ad when I'm at a stoplight is well worth the price I paid for the app....which is nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.