Google censors itself for China

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rickvanr, Jan 24, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

google's a business. they have a duty to their stockholders, and if being in china means a better bottom line, well there it is. and they'll be well-positioned for whatever happens in china.

blame the chinese government.

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Actually this is an agreement that Google, Microsoft, etc...have made with the Chinese Government in order to do business in China.

I believe Google, MS, etc.......want the market share and usage, they could care less if its fair or unfair to the citizens of China. Plain and Simple, it have nothing to do with "a" or "any" company to decide what is right or wrong in another countries law, however this is supposed to be taken up with the UN, etc.

Either follow the rules or be shut down. Not that I side with the Chinese Gov't.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Didn't Yahoo recently make the same sort of agreement? Basically, if they want access to the world's largest number of people, they have to play by the government's rules. Pretty crappy, but China has proven again and again it will play hardball.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Isn't that what the US is doing by forcing search engines to turn over search info? Is wikipedia next? What about my emails?

Corporations are becoming the handmaidens of government in a way that we could never have imagined just a decade ago.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Isn't the US government doing something similar with things like the algorithm in Photoshop that freaks out when it detects money? Backdoor entrys into encryption software? Stuff like that?

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I'm not certain that actually happens. We just did a project in one of my courses placing objects on a scanner and a fellow student used money, from coins to $50s in a few of his works, and there seemed to be no trouble opening them in Photoshop CS2. Of course the professor wasn't thrilled about it.... :D :p

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs