Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Point taken. Incidentally, since you always have well reasoned positions, would you be up for sharing what you dislike about Safari? I've never understood the appeal to use another browser, but perhaps my needs are too plebeian.

Purely subjective aesthetics. I don't like how the UI looks. Nothing fancier than that.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
I can't edit my google docs... whats the point of this app? Just to view a document? Why can't anyone correctly create an app with actual good editing?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Point taken. Incidentally, since you always have well reasoned positions, would you be up for sharing what you dislike about Safari? I've never understood the appeal to use another browser, but perhaps my needs are too plebeian.

Purely subjective aesthetics. I don't like how the UI looks. Nothing fancier than that.

For me - Safari hangs and crashes far more than either Chrome and/or Firefox. I don't mine the Safari UI or functionality. But I was tired of the spinning beach ball/crashes

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

While I'm not the OP, let me answer:

- no download manager
- no page saving
- no full screen mode
- no User-Agent faking
- no ad blocking
- no picture-less mode
- no upload support at all
etc.

Fortunately, all of the above shortcomings have been fixed by either JB tweaks or third-party AppStore apps. Too bad the latter aren't allowed to make full use of the WebKit engine (see: JS engine and choppy scrolling).

piecloud

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2011
Thinking about it, it may actually be possible to nock up something to hook into Safari to automatically close it and re-open chrome with the link. I'm sure we'll see a few attempts at it appear on Cydia.

(Sidenote: See, this is why Jail breaking your device is awesome! :p )

The bookmarklet solution will work without jb. If you are jailbreaking it, Cydia already has options to change the default browser.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
While I'm not the OP, let me answer:

- no download manager
- no page saving
- no full screen mode
- no User-Agent faking
- no ad blocking
- no picture-less mode
- no upload support at all
etc.

Fortunately, all of the above shortcomings have been fixed by either JB tweaks or third-party AppStore apps. Too bad the latter aren't allowed to make full use of the WebKit engine (see: JS engine and choppy scrolling).

I have ad blocking... AdBlock...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
i think i see your point. And i agree about the superficial elements not really lending the substance of a merge. However I am not sure that I would not still make a distinction between the two (iOS and OSX) as being separate operating systems. They have two different SDKs and all...i feel you tho.

Actually, iOS and OS X don't really have different SDKs. Both support the foundation framework and CoreGraphics/Data/Audio, etc.. etc.. Only UIKit/AppKit diverge (things like UIButton vs NSButton, etc...).

So much so, that iOS apps running on the Simulator in Xcode are actually linked to the OS X version of frameworks and compiled for x86. And it just works well enough for testing.

That should tell you how much both OSes are just that merged already.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
Ok, while some people want more "choice", what does this really give us? Safari Mobile beats Android browsers in the Sunspider benchmarks even when pitted against quadcore Tegra 3 hardware versions an A5 iPad 2 or A5X iPad 3.

So even if Apple allowed a non-Safari webkit engine based browser on iOS, it would be slower anyway than just having a skin on the standard webkit control.

If you are talking about SunSpider, Google is already saying that it's outdated. You can read more about that here:

http://blog.chromium.org/2011/05/updating-javascript-benchmarks-for.html

But anyways, here are some numbers for SunSpider and BrowserMark. How does iPhone/iPad numbers look compared to SGS3?

5mi9ac.png

drf8gm.png

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Chrome is cool, but I'm more excited about Google Drive app. So much more versatile than Dropbox, and their pricing is fantastic.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Will we be able to zoom in and double tap to make text fit the screen like browser on android?

I hate to swipe horizontally to read the web.

Why don't you use text size increaser scriptlets? They're the way to go - even in Safari itself, and even w/o jailbreaking - if you want much larger characters WITHOUT horizontal scrolling.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
You mean the third-party AppStore app(s)? They're just a thin layer over UiWebView, with all the involved problems because of Apple's restrictions (choppy scrolling, no access to the latest JS engine etc.)

I didn't get it thru the app store... It's on the Safari Extension page. Works perfect. Same as FireFox... no scroll lag

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
iOS Chrome requires iOS 4.3, while Android Chrome requires Android 4.0. Ironically that means that 99% of the iOS users can use Chrome, while only 10% of the Android users can.

Where did you get that 99% figure, because those of us with a first-generation iPhone or iPod touch can't upgrade beyond iOS 3.1.3.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Apple should reject Google Drive out of respect for Dropbox. As Drive is another stolen product by Google. Also the fact that Google clearly states they own anything you put in it.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
How do you edit documents? I can only view my google doc that I have up right now...

"The Google Drive app gives you access to your files stored in your Google Drive folder and all of your documents stored in Google Docs. You can pull up PDF documents on your iPad, edit documents, view images in full-screen, and more. Best of all, if you're working on a document offline, you can continue working in your document and your changes are cached locally and are synchronized as soon as you come back online. Offline editing for Google Docs is available right now."

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
If you are talking about SunSpider, Google is already saying that it's outdated. You can read more about that here:

http://blog.chromium.org/2011/05/updating-javascript-benchmarks-for.html

But anyways, here are some numbers for SunSpider and BrowserMark. How does iPhone/iPad numbers look compared to SGS3?

Looks like Android is inefficient in that a quad core higher clocked A9 barely beats a 1ghz dual A9 ;) (Well, i don't know that Sunspider scales linearly with cores... :)

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Google just seem to be throwing out product after product after product in a hope one of them will become profitable. They don't have the ideas or skills that Apple had to become as big as it is. They're just stealing everything they've seen other people do well, sell it cheap as chips and sell it to morons.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Google just seem to be throwing out product after product after product in a hope one of them will become profitable. They don't have the ideas or skills that Apple had to become as big as it is. They're just stealing everything they've seen other people do well, sell it cheap as chips and sell it to morons.

+100 billion

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Have they solved bookmark syncing yet?

When I was an Android user, one of the biggest frustrations I had was there's no apparent way to sync your desktop bookmarks with the Android browser's bookmarks. You could grab a separate app that would grab your Google bookmarks and launch them in the browser, but - that's just klunky as all get out, switching apps just to get to your bookmarks!

It just seemed like such a bizarre thing to not support. Every other browser on every other mobile platform does it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.