Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It's wasteful on my iMac anyway, using a lot of extra CPU to load Flash and using more RAM and CPU while idle.

Geez, because it's so hard to just disable the plugin :

Screen Shot 2012-06-29 at 5.00.58 AM.png

Or make it on demand :

Screen Shot 2012-06-29 at 5.01.55 AM.png

Yep, let's just call Chrome wasteful instead of useful. Safari running Flash has the same problem. :rolleyes:

As for this, obvious graphics driver bug, everything has been said. Anyone bashing Chrome over this doesn't quite understand modern OS design.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Chrome passes all your browsing habits to Google. Have you never wondered how it always puts ads up for things which you were looking for 5 minutes ago?

Google mail reads you emails for the same thing. Google maps records location...

I could go on about them stealing your wifi data with Streetview cars...

Google is Evil and their products have no place on any of my devices.

You use Siri do you?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Chrome passes all your browsing habits to Google. Have you never wondered how it always puts ads up for things which you were looking for 5 minutes ago?

Google Analytics is the culprit. Every browser is affected. Most sites just run scripts from Google to do ad analytics. Web masters like this stuff. Google Chrome doesn't do anything special here.

Google mail reads you emails for the same thing. Google maps records location...

No one at Google reads your e-mail. A system uses keywords in your e-mail to present targetted ads while in Gmail. That is all. Nothing to worry about there.

I could go on about them stealing your wifi data with Streetview cars...

Don't broadcast your SSID to the world if you don't want Streetview cars to record your SSID (they stopped doing that). You do know Apple uses the same technique with iOS for AGPS right ?

BTW your SSID is not WIFI data.

Google is Evil and their products have no place on any of my devices.

Good, then you don't have any reasons to click on threads about Google products and can let us Google software users discuss in peace then.

----------

You use Siri do you?

Of course he doesn't. He's consequent. Siri records everything you say and sends it over the Internet to a datacenter. Apple listens to everything you tell Siri! That's as evil as Google reading your e-mail.

tninety

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Banned!
Chrome passes all your browsing habits to Google

Stop spreading your fanboy FUD. You're wrong and stupid. Chrome sends usage statistics to Google if you enable it (even this is disabled by default) but this includes things like crash reports and usage patterns but certainly not anything as personally identifiable as your browser history. Many software vendors do something similar, including Apple for many of their products.

They do save search results for a while, but these are all automated processes and no human is allowed to see them. As for Gmail, your email is going to be stored on whichever provider's server anyway. All they do is use a bot to look for keywords and serve you some ads - many people think this is a fair tradeoff for a nice, free, and reliable email service, and I would be inclined to agree.

If you want to use Chrome without any "Google" in it, download the source for Chromium and compile it yourself. It's open source, like Firefox but unlike Safari, and you can feel free to analyze every line of code to see if Google has built in a backdoor.

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
Google Chrome sucks...still waiting on gestures to be updated since Lion came out. Would be a great browser if I could take advantage of hand gestures while I'm using it.

I'll stick to Safari until it's updates (if that ever happens) :rolleyes:

I use Chrome with BetterTouchTool (which is a GREAT app for universal customised gestures across OS X) and it's just perfect.

Something I use:
3-finger swipe up/down = next/previous tab
3-finger tab = open new tab
4-finger tab = close tab
3-finger click = full screen (I'm still on Snow Leopard)

:D

Last edited:

jordanm86

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
Pfftt

I have a late 2008 unibody MBP and Chrome has crashed at least once a day since installing it. It has either terribly inefficient javascript handling or memory leaks.

Firefox is a bit flaky too and the only reliable browser I have is Safari but for some reason I don't want to use it. I don't like the look and feel of it :-s

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
You can be average and still be the best, if, as the poster describes, the other options "suck". I'm not defending his position, just pointing the logic.

Not really. You can only be average and still be the best if everyone is equally good. What he really meant was the Safari was maybe "unremarkable", not "average". If the alternatives either suck or are weird, then "average" would mean "it half sucks and is half weird", which was not what the original poster meant. :D

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I don't use safari on my mac and pc since 2009. chrome is the best as I have experienced. I use developer version which is very faster and offers tons of free apps.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
LOL

Listen Apple, you gotta make it available to set chrome as a default browser in ios because I ain't comin' back to safari what so ever.

Safari on iOS is a great browser. Safari on Mac OS X is a great browser. It's the Windows version that is really bad.

----------

I encountered a guy on a Minecraft server who uses Internet Explorer on his Mac, and it's not even an old Mac (PowerMac G5).

Any PPC Mac is an old mac. Any Mac that isn't supported by Apple is an old Mac.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
I can't stand Chrome! I've been using it on my work PC for a while now, and it's ALWAYS locking up and crashing, and most of the time it's while browsing Google! Especially their RSS reader. It's horrible and I'm amazed so many people think it's so great.

Solid as a rock for me on Windows and OSX.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
I'll go back to Safari when they bring back tabs on top.

It was a little depressing to know that Safari is the only major browser that doesn't have a feature I love, but it was only after I saw the ugly, hideous beta of Safari 5.2 that I ran for the hills.

Last edited:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
So Gizmodo is all the sudden a reputable new source when it puts Google in a bad light?

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
This issue will be fixed in days, not in months, do not worry.

I guess it will but any program that can crash the whole computer is a worry to me, I've had plenty of programs crash but usually they don't affect OS X or other programs. Guess it pays to always have a backup and not leave work unsaved where possible.

You know that isn't Apples Job, right?

+1

But I detected a note of sarcasm. LOL

Last edited:

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I experienced a couple of these kernel panics on my new MBA. Glad to see Google knows about it. Hopefully Apple fixes up the issue. A web browser shouldn't be able to cause a kernel panic no matter what it is doing.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I guess it will but any program that can crash the whole computer is a worry to me, I've had plenty of programs crash but usually they don't affect OS X or other programs. Guess it pays to always have a backup and not leave work unsaved where possible.

Spot on.

Does not matter what OS you are using, crashes/freezes will happen. Not to mention that hardware also fails.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Stop spreading your fanboy FUD. You're wrong and stupid. Chrome sends usage statistics to Google if you enable it (even this is disabled by default) but this includes things like crash reports and usage patterns but certainly not anything as personally identifiable as your browser history.

He's not wrong, everything that is typed in the address field is sent to Google if you use Google as the default search engine in Chrome. That is a result of the dual search and address field, and this is sent before you even hit enter. How do you think Chrome is able to give you suggestions in the address bar before you are finished typing?

If you want to convince yourself of this, trace socket connections and dump packets going out of your box.

docderwood

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
In the past two weeks I've bought a new MacBook Air, returned it, and now I'm returning my one week old MBP retina.

They both locked up several times a day......even with Chrome uninstalled and a barebones install.

I don't know what the issue is but I've already sold my old 2010 MBP on eBay that locked up 6 times a year at most.

Looks like I'll limp along on the iPad for a while......

Flitzy

Oct 20, 2010
Sounds like it's your own fault for using Chrome.

Seriously, why would you even waste your time on that spyware?

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
So when Chrome freezes and crashes Macs, Google blames it on Apple.
Seriously?
Just wow.

I switched from IE6-7-8 to Chrome to Firefox to IE9 to Safari. I like Safari the best, Firefox second, IE9 third and Chrome last. The way Chrome renders things and the UI for some reason doesn't sit well with me... :/

Google isn't blaming anything, they've examined the crash reports, and have discovered that it's a bug in Apple's OS, chill out. Nobody's trying to hurt your wittle Apple.

----------

All your kernel are belong to Google!

lmao

----------

I can't stand Chrome! I've been using it on my work PC for a while now, and it's ALWAYS locking up and crashing, and most of the time it's while browsing Google! Especially their RSS reader. It's horrible and I'm amazed so many people think it's so great.

Chrome has only crashed on my like 5 times in the two years I've been using it, and I use the Dev chanell, and I have 40+ tabs open constantly...

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Anyone bashing Chrome over this doesn't quite understand modern OS design.
Well said.

To those who hate Chrome, you're only shortchanging yourself.

I've been using it with great success as my browser of choice on both my Macs & PC's for quite some time now. There are far too many advantages to ignore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.