Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
For the past month or so every now and again I get this prompt when using Chrome

Does anyone know why, and what it is referring to. So far I've clicked deny as I don't know what it is, not do I know what a keychain is. I've noticed that if I click deny I have to re-enter my Gmail password to access my emails, so am assuming it's something to do with this. Is it safe to click allow? How do I stop the prompt appearing?

Cheers

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
For the past month or so every now and again I get this prompt when using Chrome

Does anyone know why, and what it is referring to. So far I've clicked deny as I don't know what it is, not do I know what a keychain is. I've noticed that if I click deny I have to re-enter my Gmail password to access my emails, so am assuming it's something to do with this. Is it safe to click allow? How do I stop the prompt appearing?
Your Mac stores app and website login and password information in the Keychain. Chrome is asking for access to your stored passwords, so you don't have to keep re-entering them.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Your Mac stores app and website login and password information in the Keychain. Chrome is asking for access to your stored passwords, so you don't have to keep re-entering them.

Thanks for the reply. Are there any security risks with this if I click always allow? Is it just google passwords (ie gmail etc) or is it everything such as banking?

Has this replaced the 'banner' pop up when Chrome asks if you want it to "remember password for this site"?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the reply. Are there any security risks with this if I click always allow? Is it just google passwords (ie gmail etc) or is it everything such as banking?
Keychain can store login information for any apps or websites you choose. For example, it can store your email account information for Mail.app as well as passwords for online financial sites. Be aware that some financial sites won't prompt you to remember passwords, so those won't be stored in Keychain. It depends on the site. Just like any other sensitive information you have stored on your computer, there is no security risk, as long as you don't give anyone access to your computer. You can also password-protect access to your Keychain info. The Keychain Access app is in your /Applications/Utilities folder.
Has this replaced the 'banner' pop up when Chrome asks if you want it to "remember password for this site"?
No, it hasn't replaced that. If you click to allow that, the login and password is stored for that site.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Keychain can store login information for any apps or websites you choose. For example, it can store your email account information for Mail.app as well as passwords for online financial sites. Be aware that some financial sites won't prompt you to remember passwords, so those won't be stored in Keychain. It depends on the site. Just like any other sensitive information you have stored on your computer, there is no security risk, as long as you don't give anyone access to your computer. You can also password-protect access to your Keychain info. The Keychain Access app is in your /Applications/Utilities folder.

No, it hasn't replaced that. If you click to allow that, the login and password is stored for that site.
Thanks again. I'm not sure which site/app it's related to to be honest as I always set chrome to open up where I left off and usually have several tabs open. I think I'll turn off the preference for now and see which site the keychain is linked to. My suspicions are that it's gmail though.

I've just gone into the keychain app in utilities to try and learn a bit more about it, but it's like reading a foreign language to be honest. I think I need to do a search for a dummies guide to keychains :eek:

Thanks again.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.