"Google Chrome Renderer?"

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by jomama7366, May 6, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Has anyone else noticed that there is a process called "Google Chrome Renderer" which takes up 5-6 processes in Activity Monitor?

[​IMG]

Initially, I was shocked and happy to see how little memory Chrome took up. But now, I'm not so sure. You add it all up, and it's about 350 MB or so!

Anyone else see this when they're running Chrome?

2. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think that what you're seeing is the effect of the fact that Chrome uses a separate rendering engine for each tab or window you open. This was one of the major technological differences between Chrome and other browsers, at least at its launch.

3. macrumors P6

dukebound85

Then what is google chrome helper? as I thought the helper was for each tab/window

4. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, that is a good question... this blog post explains the process model in more detail, but it doesn't explain the worker/helper processes clearly.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Ahh, yes, that does explain it. Thank you so much.

6. macrumors P6

dukebound85

Interesting, it seems with the latest beta, the google chrome helpers have been renames to google chrome renderers from what i can tell

Here is another cool explanation comic style
    http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/small_00.html