Google Close to Acquiring WhatsApp for $1 Billion?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 8, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Digital Trends reports that Google is on the verge of acquiring WhatsApp, the company behind the popular cross-platform messaging service WhatsApp Messenger.
    WhatsApp Messenger is currently a $0.99 app in the App Store, but the company has announced that it will be shifting to a subscription model later this year under which the app would likely be free for the first year and $0.99/year thereafter. The subscription model is already in use on the company's Android and Windows Phone apps.

[​IMG]
    WhatsApp Messenger consistently ranks at or near the top of Apple's charts for Top Paid apps in countries around the world, and is in fact currently in the #1 position in the U.S. App Store.

The service is one of many messaging services available on iOS and other mobile platforms, including Apple's own iMessage service integrated into iOS and OS X. Such services have become increasingly popular as users seek to avoid mobile carriers' SMS charges and expand their conversations to include devices not directly connected to cellular service.

Article Link: Google Close to Acquiring WhatsApp for $1 Billion?

2. macrumors 65816

johnnnw

A billion dollars for an instant messaging app? How could it POSSIBLY be worth that when so many of them exist and how easy they are to make.

3. macrumors 6502a

Baklava

This would change everything.

It's the amount of users making it worth.

4. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

5. macrumors 68020

Squilly

Isn't it amazing how an app that was originally just a "$.99 company (per-say) is now valued at $1 billion by one of the biggest companies in the world?

6. macrumors regular

martygras9

Between Verizon offering unlimited text messages and Apple's iMessage, I'm just not seeing the need for this app on my phone.

7. macrumors 6502

A huge user base that already exists?

Although all my friends use whatsapp, I never installed it because I didn't know who owned it/would have access to my data. If this is true, I'll know who owns it, but I still won't install...

8. macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

The question is will they remove it from all other devices?

9. macrumors 6502a

You'd figure Google could spend a few million just to GIVE IT AWAY to gain that many users.

Messaging apps are easy to gain user base.

In fact, Google could finally decide to release a Google Chat app on their own, with a few engineers, and some marketing/branding money.

10. macrumors 68000

Porco

I was hoping for a Mac OS X version you can easily access from the row of icons at the bottom of the screen. It would have a new icon in the shape of a cartoon rabbit and be called 'WhatsAppDock'.

11. macrumors member

I happen to be a frequent user of the app due to friends in Europe. It is quite a common app over there. However, I am hoping for more gateways between the various systems. There are too many of them

12. macrumors 65816

It gives great insight into people's network.

13. macrumors 68000

seems like any app that does data-mining (or can be abused for it) is worth a lot these day - pretty scary - and $1Billion is really a lot for an app that does not do too much but feeding data to the owner (the company behind it, not the user) of it.

14. macrumors 603

troop231

Steps to early retirement

1. Make messaging app
    2. Gain millions of users
    3. ? Google/FB acquisition
    4. PROFIT

15. macrumors 65816

thedeejay

16. macrumors member

Whilst I use iMessage a lot, it requires the recipient to have an iOS device. You cannot ell people what to buy.

17. macrumors 65816

AT&T offers unlimited text messages. Unfortunately they ONLY offer that, which I don't want to pay for, so i have no text plan. This would help me use texts even less (free texting to a larger % of people i know).

It'd be funny if Apple responded with iMessage for Android (not their style, I know...)

18. macrumors 6502a

So worthless. What cell plan doesn't include text these days?

Useful for an iPod touch MAYBE. But then again, there are free alternatives.

19. macrumors 68000

20. macrumors 68040

Wicked1

My theory is that Google and Apple just buy these companies and squash them just to break up something that is successful on the other guys platform. It seems that both companies gain developers to work internally and then just break up the companies they buy.

21. macrumors 6502

somethingelsefl

Apple pays $200 million (estimated) for Siri based on "functionality potential". Facebook acquires Instagram for $1 billion and Google's rumored to bid $1 billion for a messaging app based on "amount of users." See the difference?

Basically Google and Facebook want to buy you as a product. Apple wants you to buy their products. This is a huge paradigm difference in the tech industry, and one (of many) reason why I purchase Apple products.

22. macrumors 68000

You mean no ads. My guess is Google would integrate this technology into their existing messaging apps. And none of those have ads.

23. macrumors 6502a

24. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Ssshhhh.... don't let facts get in the way of his ill-informed ranting. ;)

25. TG1
    macrumors 6502a

TG1

Apps like WhatsApp, Viber, etc. offer way more features such as location tagging, audio clips, emoticons, stickers, etc. Takes texting to a whole new level.