Google copies Spotlight!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JW8725, Aug 22, 2005.

1. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

uhh I believe google was developing a desktop search app before tiger was released.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Google actually got there desktop search thing out the door before Apple released Tiger.

3. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Yeah, Google was definitely developing a Spotlight-like search program before Tiger came out because I had the beta on my windows machine about a year ago. Didn't work all that well so I got rid of it, along with my windows machine. ;)

4. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Took a screenshot of one of the modes.

Attached Files:

5. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not bad. Thanks for the screen shot dubbz. I ended up ditching the original Beta because the little white box was such a distraction but maybe that's just because I use the blue task bar. Meh, it doesn't matter. I barely use the ol' PC anymore. :D

7. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Yeah, Google Desktop was out prior to Tiger...but I wonder if the OP is referring to some of these modules or something.

I dunno...I'm a fan of Google...I think they're doing great things over there. I'm particularly enamored with Google Scholar, Google Print, and Google Maps. Since we're mac only, I've not tried Google Desktop.

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yeah, thanks for the screen shot, I've always wanted to know what it looked like since I don't have a PC anymore. Its doesn't look as good as Spotlight, but thats to be expected.

9. Sogo macrumors 6502

All this he copied, she copied stuff is irrelivent...who got it out the door first and who started to do work are two different things...but carry on.

10. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

If you ask me that's a horrible waste of space. I like spotlight where you click on the icon and it reveals the white box to type in.

11. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Agreed. I was even thinking about that before I read your post. They should put a little icon that you click to reveal a search box.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

A G-spot?

No one would ever find it.

13. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Ha ha ha!

14. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Very special...

15. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Well it is the best thing for windows right now so I cant complain :rolleyes:

16. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

17. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I can image that it whould be distractive with a blue task bar.. It's a bit of the same in the beginning with the silver, too, but I got used to it.

There are some plugins that put an icon in the tray, allowing you remove the white search box but, unfortunately, it used it doesn't use the standard result list. It has some custom window thingy that's much worse (and which cover the whole screen from left to right).
    I'm sure someone will come up with a plugin that use a tray icon, as well as the normal list.

Here's a shot of the sidebar mode. It takes up more space when used, but can autohide so it'll stay out of the way most of the time. I haven't used it much, as I'm not really a fan of sidebars (legacy from my pre-widescreen days, I belive). There's several plugins on Google, adding stuff like clocks, iTunes controllers and system information.

Attached Files: