Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/12204/digital-life/google-earth-dives-into-ocean-blue

Her conversation with Google Earth and Maps director John Hanke some three years ago led to a collaboration, along with the US Navy, NASA, the BBC and other organisations, that produced the new Ocean view.

“You can swim with whales, inspect coral reefs or see the impact of destructive fishing. Anyone now can slip into the sea and find hundreds of images of creatures and see them on their own terms, underwater,” said Earle.

“Now, you can dive to the deepest place in the ocean, the Mariana Trench, where only two people have ever actually been – in 1960.”

Google Ocean has 14 different layers including Shipwrecks, Ocean Expeditions, Animal Tracking and Cousteau Ocean World.

I'm fairly impressed, Google.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I'm fairly impressed, Google.

I'm not. GE5 also carries Google Update Engine with it that apparently has the power to automatically download apps from foreign servers and install them locally as root.

I'm done with Google.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
I'm not. GE5 also carries Google Update Engine with it that apparently has the power to automatically download apps from foreign servers and install them locally as root.

I'm done with Google.

Same here, I downloaded it started the install, then the message about the updater appeared - instant quit and delete, will make do with the Google Maps site from now on instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.