Google Earth now available for Panther

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VanNess, Feb 10, 2006.

1. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

right here

You'll need 10.3.9 of course. Let the feeding frenzy begin!

2. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

Thanks for this useful information:) ... I was checking the site just last wednesday!

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thanks. Was starting to wonder what all the fuss was about even though Tiger is still sitting in its box — unused and unloved.

4. VanNess thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Even with 10.4.4 out and, coincidentally, Valentine's day coming up?

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yeah, 'fraid so. The Tiger transition is fraught with troubles — new HD and clean install of apps etc.

Still, have enjoyed playing with Google Earth today; wondering about the mysterious black rectangles over certain areas on the globe and being disappointed at the low resolution of some old haunts in New Zealand. But the Forbidden City and the Imperial Palace... nice. :)

6. mpw Guest

7. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

8. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Yeah point it anywhere other than the US of A and you get something that looks like a satellite weather map with Macdonalds outlets dotted in it.:(

Half an hour was enough before it got sent to the bottom right hand corner.:eek:

ummm reading all my posts for 10 and 11th feb , I am before really negative today:rolleyes:

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Very cool. I was hoping they'd make it available for Panther users.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

11. mpw Guest

It is available for Tiger aleady I think Panther users were having to wait.

12. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

Yeah, it's been out for Tiger for a while now.

13. VanNess thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Well, for what's it's worth my computer began life on 10.3 and has whistled through every OS update till present at 10.4.4. No archive and installs, no HD erase and installs. Even the transition from Panther to Tiger was done using the simple upgrade, and so far, no need to look back. Tiger should pretty much be a painless upgrade from Panther provided you're Panther installation is healthy and complaint-free.

I haven't fooled around with Google Earth too much yet, but aside from the somewhat clunky interface, it's just amazing. My understanding is that Google doesn't yet have every square foot of the globe covered with breathtaking high-rez imagery, which is probably why you're not seeing certain areas of New Zealand as up close and personal as other areas of the globe. Supposedly, Google is regularly adding additional high rez imagery, but wanted to get all of the famous and unique areas covered first. Once they get finally get the entire globe captured in high rez, then I guess it's time for Google Moon...

Still a lot of unrealized Google Earth potential though, particularly with 3d landscaping and visualization. Something tells me the best days of Google Earth are yet to come. Until then, there is a fairly good blog here about all things Google Earth, with the latest and greatest Google Earth sightseeing, including the location of the mysterious "flying car"

Attached Files:

14. VanNess thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanNess

By the way, for the thread, the update is for both Tiger (includes bugfixes) and Panther users. This update is the first to offer Panther compatibility.

15. adamschneider macrumors newbie

Thank goodness. This will make my bug-testing much easier.

(I run GPS Visualizer, a site that can create Google Earth KML files from raw geo data.)

16. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

17. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Also, for what it's worth, mine's been fraught with problems, both with a Panther-Tiger install and a clean install. :) Currently on my sixth installation. If I hadn't spent the money on Tiger, I'd have reverted to Panther long ago.

It's great to see that Google Earth is now out for Panther too, it's still a brilliant OS.