Google Earth Video

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by misterman8, Aug 8, 2006.

1. misterman8 macrumors member

Jul 18, 2005
    Anyone know how to capture the video off of google earth without spending all that freakin' money for the pro version? thanks...
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    You can use a program like Snapz Pro X or iShowU to capture pretty much anything happening on a Mac screen, but it won't be as convenient as a built-in video capture and quality may not be the same.

You'll also want to look carefully at licensing issues if you intend to use the content commercially.
  3. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    I just googled Google Earth. They're asking $400 a year. :eek: Weird, because I saw a student video that used Google Earth animations as well as my local news station using Google Earth, and was wondering how they managed to do such a smooth job with the frame capture.
  4. misterman8 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 18, 2005
    cool. I'll give those a shot, it's not for commercial purposes, and there is no way I am paying $400 just to screw around with it a bit. What a strange jump to make... free to $400? I hope you get some pretty spectacular features besides video export.
  5. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Aug 6, 2006
    The reason it is $400 dollars is that is the version for newscasters, etc. I believe it gives TV stations the right to show Google Earth images. It's not meant for individual use at all.

So when you get down to it, it's actually pretty cheap.