Google ending CardDAV and CalDAV support?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jason2811, Mar 27, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

So when the end CalDAV and CardDAV support (apparently in September), how does someone access their Google contacts or their Google calendar on an iPhone? There must still be some method, correct?

2. macrumors 6502a

I haven't heard of this.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Google ending Exchange support? Different animal.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors 6502a

from the blog:

"We remain committed to supporting open protocols like CalDAV. "

They're shutting down "CalDAV API" for developers.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you explain what the difference is?

6. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

The difference is that developers for applications have a different access point for caldav than end user devices accessing individual accounts.

Also, Google isn't ending caldav API support entirely. It's ending support for an experimental version, and tightening up access to a production version in September.

7. macrumors 68000

I'm so sick of Google's new direction for mobile devices. Ever since their decision to drop AES for free Gmail accounts I've moved on.

8. macrumors 68030

zorinlynx

Just wanted to note that CalDAV and CardDAV have been more reliable for me, in my experience, than EAS.

Also, EAS had annoying limitations in how you could set up contacts. For example, you could only have one "work" number or one "mobile" number for someone. With CardDAV those restrictions are no longer there.

EAS sucks. I'm glad Google has moved away from it (and is likely no longer paying patent license fees to MS for it). I have other problems with Google but this is definitely not one of them!

9. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

FWIW, a lot of the limitations in Google's implementation of EAS are not due to EAS itself. Most of the those limitations were because Google configured them in. Whether it was intentional or not is anyone's guess, but the EAS implementation I use at work isn't nearly as limited as Google's was, and EAS certainly doesn't suck when the admins configure it in a non-sucky fashion.

So, yeah, Google is pretty much where the problem was, all along.