Google Ending Support for Google Catalogs on iOS and Android August 15

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 31, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As highlighted by Android Police and Engadget, Google is ending support for Google Catalogs, its product browsing app for iOS and Android, on August 15. The app originally launched first on the iPad in 2011 and collaborated with various apparel merchants in an attempt to bring users rich, interactive content.

[​IMG]
    The news comes just days after Google removed the Google+ Local App from the App Store following integration into Google Maps last week. Google also ended support for Google Reader, its RSS service, earlier this month.

Article Link: Google Ending Support for Google Catalogs on iOS and Android August 15

2. macrumors 6502

This is why I've been trying to switch from Google products to others. Too many times Google decides to drop products all of a sudden. Prime examples are Gmail Exchange capability and Google Reader.

3. macrumors member

What the hell is Google Catalogs?

TechFann likes this.
  4. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

Another prime example of how google just throws stuff at the wall and prays it sticks. It's like google is a teenage girl with commitment issues.

5. macrumors member

You just better hope that those others don't end them too. If those others are Apple, then you obviously forgot about MobileMe, iDisk, etc.

Technology is unsuccessful, or outdated, or just uneconomic to maintain in the face of competition. It goes away. Life moves on.

TechFann likes this.
  6. macrumors 6502

somethingelsefl

Add this to the pile with other Google products like Wave, Reader, Dodgeball, and Buzz.

Google kills a service and it's was "just a test product". Apple fails at Ping and it's stock falls 100 points. This is one of biggest irritations about the perceptions of the two companies.

7. macrumors 68040

They seem to be dropping anything that they cant monetize easily, or cant be bothered to maintain anymore. Thankfully anything part of the enterprise market is safe (i.e Calendar, Gmail, Contacts, Talk, etc).

----------

In fairness, Google does run a hell of a lot more 'beta' products than Apple, and has always done so. They like to try things out. I guess most of the projects they try out come from acquisitions and the 20% personal project system they have.

8. macrumors 68020

Another one bites the dust.

9. macrumors 601

It's all good. Trim all the fat and get down to your best products. Take note Samsung.

10. macrumors 68040

the8thark

Less google on iOS? That's one step to a better world for all of us.

11. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Crap, I actually used and liked Google Catalogs on my iPad.

12. macrumors 6502a

If this is the current trend affecting Google then when are we going to read that Google is officially ending support for "GOGGLE"?
    Seriously, Goggle can't seem to monetize sh** outside its search. And the problem with that is that Goggly[sic] has to always make new money for their sugar daddies. Well how you going to do that if you're giving away stuff for free? Bait and switch?
    Just my two cents.

13. macrumors 6502

Yeah that's true, it just seems that Google is the company that dumps their products the most often. They're like the George Clooney of tech companies.

14. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    One difference is that Google usually doesn't have their CEO spend ten minutes on stage, telling everyone how incredibly magical (fill in the blank) is, and how it'll change your life forever.

When you do that, people have different expectations.

15. macrumors 68030

My friends at Google tells me Google is strongly considering a removal of IMAP as well. Users would have to use either web app, iOS, or Android apps.

16. macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

The person you were quoting was referencing Google Apps for Business. They won't piss off PAYING customers. Gapps still has Exchange Support.

17. macrumors 6502

looks like google has decided to make all the google apps exclusive to android users.

18. macrumors 65816

Agreed. I've given up trusting that anything from Google will be around in a few years.

----------

bla bla bla bla bla ….:rolleyes:

19. macrumors 6502

WOW! Well that will definitely get me to drop the last Google service I use then.

20. macrumors 68020

First I've heard if it as well.

TechFann likes this.
  21. JAT
    macrumors 603

I don't see that. These are global changes, not iOS specific.

22. macrumors newbie

If you have a minute, check out our digital publishing solution as an alternative to Google Catalogs. Let us know what you think! Thanks. www.epaperflip.com