1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Google+ for iOS Gains iPad and iPod Touch Support, Not Yet Universal

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 8, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Google today updated its Google+ app for iOS devices, most notably adding support for the iPad and iPod touch. The app had debuted nearly three weeks ago as an iPhone-only offering.

Unfortunately, while the app will now run on the iPad, the new version of Google+ is not yet a universal application. Consequently, it does not offer an iPad-optimized interface and is instead limited to displaying the iPhone interface at either 1x or 2x size.
    Google+ is Google's new social networking service that has seen relatively rapid adoption as a competitor to Facebook and other social sites.

Article Link: Google+ for iOS Gains iPad and iPod Touch Support, Not Yet Universal

2. Guest

AAPLaday

And yet relatively speaking i bet they have a native iPad release before FB does

3. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Interesting, will try it out...

4. Telephoner, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011

macrumors newbie

If you change the UIDeviceFamily integer from 1 to 2(Info.plist) you will have a semi-native application.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. macrumors 6502

Yay! Though the mobile version of Google+ works great on my iPod, it has no way of uploading photos. So glad the native app is available on iPod/iPad now :)

6. macrumors member

now theres a message for iOS 5.0 beta users

Attached Files:

7. jpg
    macrumors regular

Is it so hard to create a iPad version?
    The iPhone layout is pretty simple and you just need to create another nib file...

But I don't care. I will not use Google+ even if all my friends should join it (no one has yet). Google knows too much about everybody already.

8. macrumors 6502

In the meantime iPad users can use the mobile Google+ website. Worked fine for me on my iPod when the app was iPhone only.

But look how long it took Facebook to release an iPad version. I'm pretty sure Google will release one a few years faster, but I think they are doing pretty damn good for a social networking site that still isn't open to the public.

9. macrumors newbie

Telephoner
    Can you show how stream looks like?
    Does it work only on jailbroken device? I've tried on my iPad but it crashes on start.

10. macrumors 6502a

andylyon

The service isn't even out of beta, they didn't even need to make an iPhone version yet never mind an iPad version.

11. macrumors 6502a

Northgrove

Even this 2x UI on iPad is more convenient than the ugly mobile web UI for me.

12. macrumors 6502

ScottishDuck

Whereas having facebook own and sell your information is a great alternative, clearly.

13. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

It's Google, it'll be in beta for the next 5 years. They don't want to wait that long.

jW

14. macrumors 68040

That's what beta software is. Better that warning than the odd random crash for no apparent reason.

15. macrumors 68030

zorinlynx

No native iPad version, but the iPhone one looks pretty good with Retinapad installed.

By the way, does anyone have any idea why Retinapad isn't default behavior? It's such common sense that I'm surprised Apple hasn't implemented it.

How about on iOS 5 on the iPad? I haven't tried that yet as I'm not a dev.

16. macrumors 6502a

Craiger

But the stream seems to load for me now in iOS 5! :D

17. macrumors 6502a

mazz0

Yet ironically it all seems to work now! :D

18. macrumors 68000

Porco

Ironic, given Apple's icon for universal iOS apps... !

19. macrumors 6502a

mazz0

OMG - that's what :D looks like on here? That's ghastly! Is there any way to change it, short of custom CSS in my browser?

20. macrumors 6502a

zweigand

Excellent news. Now I can turn off email notifications.

21. macrumors member

won't work on the 2nd gen. iPod Touch running iOS 4.0...... hmm....

22. macrumors 6502a

Seems to work on IOS 5 Beta 5. Does not crash like it did before.

23. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

It seems a touch more stable than the last version but MAN that's one ghastly app.

EDIT: mazz0, didn't mean to steal your word it must have been stuck in my head from reading the thread.

24. macrumors 6502a

Still better than the Facebook app...but we all know Zuckerberg is coming out with a new facebook app with Ipad support...that one will be awesome.

25. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I actually don't mind the current Facebook app. I know I'm in the minority though.