Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

google_plus_ios_icon.jpg

Google today updated its Google+ app for iOS devices, most notably adding support for the iPad and iPod touch. The app had debuted nearly three weeks ago as an iPhone-only offering.

Unfortunately, while the app will now run on the iPad, the new version of Google+ is not yet a universal application. Consequently, it does not offer an iPad-optimized interface and is instead limited to displaying the iPhone interface at either 1x or 2x size.
What's New in Version 1.0.2.1966

- Huddle settings
- Aggregated circle add notifications
- iPod touch & iPad support
- Performance and stability improvements
Google+ is Google's new social networking service that has seen relatively rapid adoption as a competitor to Facebook and other social sites.

Article Link: Google+ for iOS Gains iPad and iPod Touch Support, Not Yet Universal

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Interesting, will try it out...

Telephoner

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
If you change the UIDeviceFamily integer from 1 to 2(Info.plist) you will have a semi-native application.
Stratus_App_2011-08-08_at_08_12_20_PM.png

Stratus_App_2011-08-08_at_08_15_40_PM.png

Stratus_App_2011-08-08_at_08_26_16_PM.png

Stratus_App_2011-08-08_at_08_27_24_PM.png

Stratus_App_2011-08-08_at_08_31_26_PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Yay! Though the mobile version of Google+ works great on my iPod, it has no way of uploading photos. So glad the native app is available on iPod/iPad now :)

jpg

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
Is it so hard to create a iPad version?
The iPhone layout is pretty simple and you just need to create another nib file...

But I don't care. I will not use Google+ even if all my friends should join it (no one has yet). Google knows too much about everybody already.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
The iPhone layout is pretty simple and you just need to create another nib file...

In the meantime iPad users can use the mobile Google+ website. Worked fine for me on my iPod when the app was iPhone only.

But look how long it took Facebook to release an iPad version. I'm pretty sure Google will release one a few years faster, but I think they are doing pretty damn good for a social networking site that still isn't open to the public.

artysx

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
Telephoner
Can you show how stream looks like?
Does it work only on jailbroken device? I've tried on my iPad but it crashes on start.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008

But I don't care. I will not use Google+ even if all my friends should join it (no one has yet). Google knows too much about everybody already.

The service isn't even out of beta, they didn't even need to make an iPhone version yet never mind an iPad version.

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland

Whereas having facebook own and sell your information is a great alternative, clearly.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
No native iPad version, but the iPhone one looks pretty good with Retinapad installed.

By the way, does anyone have any idea why Retinapad isn't default behavior? It's such common sense that I'm surprised Apple hasn't implemented it.

How about on iOS 5 on the iPad? I haven't tried that yet as I'm not a dev.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
It seems a touch more stable than the last version but MAN that's one ghastly app.

EDIT: mazz0, didn't mean to steal your word it must have been stuck in my head from reading the thread.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
It seems a touch more stable than the last version but MAN that's one ghastly app.

EDIT: mazz0, didn't mean to steal your word it must have been stuck in my head from reading the thread.

Still better than the Facebook app...but we all know Zuckerberg is coming out with a new facebook app with Ipad support...that one will be awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.