Google Gadgets Beta for Mac

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 29, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google has released a beta version of Google Gadgets for Mac. Google's Mac Blog provides some details about the release from Mike Pinkerton.
    Google's "Gadgets" are mini applications similar to Apple's own Dashboard Widgets. Google's Gadgets for Mac are now integrated and installable into Apple's Dashboard in Mac OS X. This makes them functionally indistinguishable from Dashboard Widgets.

Google Gadgets comes integrated with Google Desktop, a desktop search application also available from Google.

Article Link

2. macrumors 6502

headfuzz

Well done Johnny Come Lately Google! :rolleyes:

3. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

nice to have a large repository of widgets/gadgets for people who use dashboard. I personally never really got into the whole dashboard thing.

arn

4. macrumors 65816

So are both Spotlight and Google Search whirring away indexing all the same stuff slowing down my Mac and taking up space with two sets of index files? Or does this either turn off or suggest you turn off Spotlight?

5. macrumors member

All those gadgets sound cool, but remind me again why I would want Google desktop on Leopard?

6. macrumors 6502

I know what you mean, I was excited to get it, I set up all kinds of cool widgets when I first got it, and I never ever use it.

7. macrumors 6502

I wonder if this is going to bugger up my machine? I'd rather just install native widgets- this sounds like some sort of emulation layer to get gadgets to look like widgets. In general I am very much not in favor of all these little bolt-on enhancements, toolbars, etc. that folks like Google, Yahoo and others come up with. Who needs another possible way for their OS to become unstable.

8. Retired

psychofreak

I'm the opposite...thought it would be useless, now I have a calculator, su doku, two games, dictionary, three webclips and the translation widget...

9. macrumors 65816

iJawn108

ill try it, but if it picks up my marked as not indexed content it's sooo going.

10. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Nice try Google, but I'll pass.

11. macrumors 6502

headfuzz

I use them now and again, but only a select few. Currency converter, weather and calculator is pretty much it.

12. macrumors 65816

Clive At Five

I can't help but wonder whether or not there might be just a *tinge* of redundancy in these thousdans of Widgets/Gadgets out there. The "repositories" of each one individually were huge to begin with.

And I'm the same way about Dashboard. I rarely ever use it. Maybe "Calculator" once a month, but it's more of an annoyance if I accidentally toggle it, especially with the slow-as-all-hell load time of my iFossil - I mean iMac.

-Clive

13. macrumors 6502

headfuzz

You forgot your sarcasm tags, Clive! :p

14. jjo
    macrumors member

404 Not Found Error

Anyone else notice that at the end of the desktop video demo, the URL they give results in a 404 Not Found error?

Funny.

15. macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Make sure you're typing google.com/mac and not google.com/mac/ (notice the extra slash at the end.)

16. macrumors 68000

Well luckily you don't need to install Google Desktop to get the Google Gadgets. Although Google attempt to "bundle" them together, you can choose to only installed Google Gadgets.

BTW Google Gadgets is pretty nice if you really want a Google Gadget on your Dashboard that you can't get a Native Dashboard Widget for.

17. macrumors 65816

TurboSC

hahah nice.

I guess this will ease my adventures into the Mac world ( I've been a PC Fanboy for quite some time ) when I purchase my new MBP mid-jan. :p

I loves you google.

18. macrumors 68000

I get a virtual potted plant in exchange for disclosing usage statistics? Great! Where do I sign up?

19. macrumors member

Word.

The only thing I ever use it for (and I think it works great for) is weather. When I'm getting ready to run out the door here in New York, I want to know whether it's going to be cold, or "I think my ears just fell off" cold. I can just run to my computer and hit a button (no need to sit down) and I can see what coat/hat I need to wear. Other than that I haven't found any useful widgets, and I'm always wary of the load they'll put on the system.

20. macrumors G4

I had the same reaction to this as to something I discovered yesterday in our company cafeteria when I thought "Wow another new kind of Coke Just what the world needs."

I wonder just how many calculator programs and virtual potted plats there are already.

21. macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Why doesn't Google spend the time it's wasted on this pointless application on bringing Picasa to the Mac?

22. macrumors 601

andiwm2003

same here. 99% of widgets just pull some info from the web. and usually i need more information than what the widgets display. so weather is the only useful one.

the main problem with dashboard for me is that it takes 30 sec to update the info on all web related widgets and only then you can use the calculator. that makes it quite useless.

23. macrumors 6502a

ever since i found this small app called WeatherDock i never used the dashboard again. i even remove it from my system completely. the weatherdock thingy puts weather info on my menubar so i dont even have to push any button to get the info. just have to glance at the menu bar.

24. macrumors member

Same here. Nothing is as simple and convenient.

25. macrumors 6502

and what content would that be?