Google Glass Can Use iPhone's Data Connection Via Bluetooth

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 22, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Verge's Joshua Topolsky has written a lengthy piece about his experiences using Google Glass, the company's new on-face computer.

Google Glass is a tiny computer that mounts to an eyeglass frame and has a small display that is visible only to the user. The wearable device has a built-in camera that sees what the wearer sees, GPS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth connections. The glasses can handle many of the same tasks as smartphones, including giving driving directions, sending text messages, showing weather reports and more.

[​IMG]
    Some potential purchasers were concerned that Glass would only be compatible with Google's Android smartphone operating system, but it appears the device will be able to tether to any smartphone via Bluetooth. Topolsky writes:
    Google hopes to put Glass on sale sometime before the end of the year for less than $1,500.

Article Link: Google Glass Can Use iPhone's Data Connection Via Bluetooth

2. macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Think whatever you want, at least google is innovating at the moment. Can't say the same about Apple.

3. macrumors 68020

Squilly

I am definitely buying when this comes out at a cheaper price.

4. macrumors 68040

KdParker

Nice. I will wait until the price comes down.

5. macrumors P6

Peace

Just my opinion mind you but this is one of the dumbest products ever.

6. macrumors newbie

Google? More like BOOgle....ok...that was all I had....

7. macrumors member

DrStern

"innovating" is easier when you are willing to throw anything at the wall and home something sticks.

8. macrumors regular

I give Google tons of points here for trying something new, and I would certainly love to try one in some capacity

BUT....1500 is just too much for a novelty product of limited function.

9. macrumors 6502a

Chris.L

Innovating while using standard protocols to allow everyone to use their products instead of a closed, propitiatory ecosystem.

Also, I'm assuming the price is to prevent every Tom, Dick and Harry applying for a pair, along with these requirements:

10. macrumors 65832

JaySoul

Absolutely love the idea, but I don't wear glasses.

11. macrumors regular

It seems to me like google is just throwing everything they can think of against the wall and waiting to see what sticks. Let's look at this objectively:

• It performs basic mobile functions and nothing else
    • You have to talk to it to make it work, which will be very annoying in public
    • You have to wear a very unflattering pair of glasses
    • It is outrageously expensive

What, exactly, is the appeal of this device? Who is it for? Skydivers who don't want to buy one of those go cameras?

12. macrumors 68000

You never know ....

I've been saying for a while now, this whole Apple wristwatch thing has potential to be huge, if the next iPhone would be sold as a watch.

No idea if Apple has so much as considered that possibility? But I'd love a product like that. I don't wear glasses and don't particularly want to spend $1000+ to put on a pair of sunglasses or what-not, just to use Google's invention here. But it would be excellent if I could just wear a watch that serves all the purposes of my iPhone.

13. macrumors 68030

Popeye206

Neat idea... limited appeal for what they show. Might have more utility use in business where it acts like a heads up display in certain job situations.

Price needs to be under $200 to be interesting.

14. macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

I like the way google is using augmented reality. It isn't overwhelming, it's just a little box in the corner. I'm excited about this, especially from a developer's perspective. I wonder when google is going to make a glass SDK. :rolleyes:

15. macrumors 6502a

16. macrumors 6502a

Your opinion is wrong.

17. macrumors regular

Very interesting.
    Looking forward to seeing where they go with this.

18. macrumors 6502a

throwing tech against the wall to see what sticks isn't innovating. it's r&d.

innovating is the deployment and creation of new technology to the masses to change lives. that includes android, google maps, iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.

maybe someday google glass will become innovation.

19. macrumors newbie

These look cool as! Deffo will be a pair on my xmas list!

20. macrumors 604

bushido

everything has to start out as something that looks like an "prototype" and will evolve over time but someone has to be willing to push it and thats what google is trying to do. Remember what the first smartphone looked like? kids in 10 years will laugh at todays capability of those glasses but it may be "amazing" and the norm by 2020. however if no ones gonna "innovate" something new, it doesnt even have a chance to evolve into something great

21. macrumors 6502a

The same thing could have been said about the first bluetooth headsets which only geeks wore. Now its very common to see someone speaking randomly in public and having one of those bolted to their ear.

22. macrumors member

That's just what I need, more digital distractions in life.

23. macrumors regular

No thanks, but I'm sure the perverts of the world are rejoicing.

24. macrumors 65816

AQUADock

An opinion cannot be wrong.

25. macrumors regular

BreuerEditor

Sooooooo...that means $1,499?