Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
That's really cool. Props to Google.

I can just see Windows users playing with the magnifying Dock toolbar thingy. Whenever a Windows user is on my Mac, that's all they seem to do :rolleyes:.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I hope it becomes the new google first page. Its much nicer to look at with the resizing pics instead of the text.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
brap said:
Heheh... cute. I think thats my new start page.
I hope it's the start of a new trend, the cool iPod started it, now it's the Macs and OS X that are the new cool. I have no evidence for it, it's just a feeling that it might be so.
It is already my new start page. :D

kerb

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
Lancashire UK
varmit said:
I hope it becomes the new google first page. Its much nicer to look at with the resizing pics instead of the text.

nah the great thing about Google at the moment is that it's the lightest page on the internet. It's nice to be there if you choose to use it, but for now keep Google as it is.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
"Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you."
©2005 Google - Searching 8,058,044,651 web pages
:D I'm thinking this is the beginning of an OS revolution. The months and years ahead could be very good to Apple - and for computing overall if OS X can become the mainstream Operating System and dethrone MS Windows...

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
1. This won't likely ever be http://www.google.com, which is a very minimalist page designed to display correctly (and swiftly) on almost anything.

2. Apple lawsuit is unlikely -- they haven't bothered anyone about making actual OS docks for Windows and Linux. Besides, there's no copyright on the functionality of something, and I don't think the Dock is patented.

3. I really like this.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
kerb said:
nah the great thing about Google at the moment is that it's the lightest page on the internet. It's nice to be there if you choose to use it, but for now keep Google as it is.

I agree. I first switched to google because of it's anti yahooness of trying to put everything on their frontpage. Stocks. Wedding proposals. Weather in some city i'm not affiliated with. I hated it.

Google said "what are you searching for?"

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Cooknn said:
:D I'm thinking this is the beginning of an OS revolution. The months and years ahead could be very good to Apple - and for computing overall if OS X can become the mainstream Operating System and dethrone MS Windows...
It can't be, because Apple is a dying breed, remember? :rolleyes: :D

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
dsharits said:
It can't be, because Apple is a dying breed, remember? :rolleyes: :D
Not any more! In fact it's just the opposite - thanks to the iPod :p The question is whether or not the general public is smart enough to realize what a gem OS X is. I know the younger generation is. My son and my bosses daughter both have iMac's and are converting their friends one after the other. The current generation of corporate exec's though, seem to be stuck in a rut. Too busy fixing their PC's to look up and see what's right in front of them - or at least available to them.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Cooknn said:
Not any more! In fact it's just the opposite - thanks to the iPod :p The question is whether or not the general public is smart enough to realize what a gem OS X is. I know the younger generation is. My son and my bosses daughter both have iMac's and are converting their friends one after the other. The current generation of corporate exec's though, seem to be stuck in a rut. Too busy fixing their PC's to look up and see what's right in front of them - or at least available to them.
It's a great thing to have already seen the light before the whole iPod craze started. Now, we get to sit back and watch the demise of Microsoft as thousands join our revolution! :p

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
dsharits said:
It's a great thing to have already seen the light before the whole iPod craze started. Now, we get to sit back and watch the demise of Microsoft as thousands join our revolution! :p
I've said this before in another thread, but I'll say it again - I believe the stars are aligned for Apple to release Tiger to other manufacturers. IBM and Sony come to mind. That would definitely add fuel to the fire :eek:

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Cooknn said:
I've said this before in another thread, but I'll say it again - I believe the stars are aligned for Apple to release Tiger to other manufacturers. IBM and Sony come to mind. That would definitely add fuel to the fire :eek:
I highly doubt that it will be licensed to other platforms where it won't run as well as it would on the native Apple machines. You may be right that it could be released to IBM and Sony for use on Apple-based hardware, so that it is not usable on, say, HP's, Dells, eMachines and the like. I think it would make a dent in Apple's hardware sales, but it would be the first step towards really stepping into the limelight and taking over. Be afraid, Microsoft, be very afraid.

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
aaaaargh!! page won't load.. Just sits there forever transfering data :mad: Feels like I'm missing out on stuff

-Squirrel

Edit: Finally it opened in firefox. Took several minutes for the page to load and safari is still trying. Looks niiiiiiiiiiiice though.

fabsgwu

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Washington, DC
wordmunger said:
I don't like the page. The icons don't make any sense. They need labels.

If you use it regularly, I bet the icons will start to make sense. Sort of like how I don't even need the labels for my dock now, I just know what to click on.

P.S. How does everyone feel about the magnification effect GoogleX uses? I think Apple should add that kind (where just the selected icon is magnified) as an option for the dock, imo :rolleyes:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
fabsgwu said:
P.S. How does everyone feel about the magnification effect GoogleX uses? I think Apple should add that kind (where just the selected icon is magnified) as an option for the dock, imo :rolleyes:

Hmmm...I kinda like the way it's like a wave in OS X. But I guess if you could tweak the width of the wave, we'd both be happy. Then again, I turned magnification off in its entirety. :rolleyes:

Bendit

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2003
Toronto, Canada
mkrishnan said:
Hmmm...I kinda like the way it's like a wave in OS X. But I guess if you could tweak the width of the wave, we'd both be happy. Then again, I turned magnification off in its entirety. :rolleyes:

I turned off magnification in the dock after a couple of days, and I assume everyone else would to.

Sure it's nice to look at but it's completely useless and always gets in the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.