Google goes X

Discussion in 'New Mac Application Announcements' started by MacBytes, Mar 16, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68000

Heheh... cute. I think thats my new start page.

3. macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

That's really cool. Props to Google.

I can just see Windows users playing with the magnifying Dock toolbar thingy. Whenever a Windows user is on my Mac, that's all they seem to do :rolleyes:.

4. macrumors 68000

varmit

I hope it becomes the new google first page. Its much nicer to look at with the resizing pics instead of the text.

5. macrumors 6502a

iJaz

I hope it's the start of a new trend, the cool iPod started it, now it's the Macs and OS X that are the new cool. I have no evidence for it, it's just a feeling that it might be so.
    It is already my new start page. :D

6. macrumors regular

nah the great thing about Google at the moment is that it's the lightest page on the internet. It's nice to be there if you choose to use it, but for now keep Google as it is.

7. macrumors 68020

Cooknn

:D I'm thinking this is the beginning of an OS revolution. The months and years ahead could be very good to Apple - and for computing overall if OS X can become the mainstream Operating System and dethrone MS Windows...

8. macrumors 6502a

macridah

nice. I like it. Again, apple must be flattered :D

9. macrumors 601

liketom

Can see Apple telling them to take it down due to copyright issues LOL

but yeah my new homepage

10. macrumors 6502a

1. This won't likely ever be www.google.com, which is a very minimalist page designed to display correctly (and swiftly) on almost anything.

2. Apple lawsuit is unlikely -- they haven't bothered anyone about making actual OS docks for Windows and Linux. Besides, there's no copyright on the functionality of something, and I don't think the Dock is patented.

3. I really like this.

11. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I agree. I first switched to google because of it's anti yahooness of trying to put everything on their frontpage. Stocks. Wedding proposals. Weather in some city i'm not affiliated with. I hated it.

Google said "what are you searching for?"

12. macrumors 68000

dsharits

It can't be, because Apple is a dying breed, remember? :rolleyes: :D

13. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Quite cool. Forwarded it to family and others at work.

14. macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Not any more! In fact it's just the opposite - thanks to the iPod :p The question is whether or not the general public is smart enough to realize what a gem OS X is. I know the younger generation is. My son and my bosses daughter both have iMac's and are converting their friends one after the other. The current generation of corporate exec's though, seem to be stuck in a rut. Too busy fixing their PC's to look up and see what's right in front of them - or at least available to them.

15. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

16. macrumors 68000

dsharits

It's a great thing to have already seen the light before the whole iPod craze started. Now, we get to sit back and watch the demise of Microsoft as thousands join our revolution! :p

17. macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I've said this before in another thread, but I'll say it again - I believe the stars are aligned for Apple to release Tiger to other manufacturers. IBM and Sony come to mind. That would definitely add fuel to the fire :eek:

18. macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't like the page. The icons don't make any sense. They need labels.

19. macrumors 68000

dsharits

I highly doubt that it will be licensed to other platforms where it won't run as well as it would on the native Apple machines. You may be right that it could be released to IBM and Sony for use on Apple-based hardware, so that it is not usable on, say, HP's, Dells, eMachines and the like. I think it would make a dent in Apple's hardware sales, but it would be the first step towards really stepping into the limelight and taking over. Be afraid, Microsoft, be very afraid.

20. macrumors 68000

dsharits

Did you move the cursor over them? It works like the Dock.

21. macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

aaaaargh!! page won't load.. Just sits there forever transfering data :mad: Feels like I'm missing out on stuff

-Squirrel

Edit: Finally it opened in firefox. Took several minutes for the page to load and safari is still trying. Looks niiiiiiiiiiiice though.

22. macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Yeah... but it's shouldn't take long to make sense.

I kinda likes it .... of course had MSN done it I would have been foaming at the mouth; which I put down to the Jungian duality of man.

23. macrumors regular

If you use it regularly, I bet the icons will start to make sense. Sort of like how I don't even need the labels for my dock now, I just know what to click on.

P.S. How does everyone feel about the magnification effect GoogleX uses? I think Apple should add that kind (where just the selected icon is magnified) as an option for the dock, imo :rolleyes:

24. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm...I kinda like the way it's like a wave in OS X. But I guess if you could tweak the width of the wave, we'd both be happy. Then again, I turned magnification off in its entirety. :rolleyes:

25. macrumors regular

I turned off magnification in the dock after a couple of days, and I assume everyone else would to.

Sure it's nice to look at but it's completely useless and always gets in the way.