Google Hangouts for iOS Gains iPad Optimization, iOS 7 Redesign

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 27, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google's messaging app Hangouts was today updated to version 2.0, adding an iOS 7 redesign and several new features including animated stickers, 10 second video messages, and iPad optimization. This is the app's first major update since it received voice calling and Google Voice integration back in October of 2013.

Following the update, the app supports a two-column conversation view on the iPad. Like many other social networking apps, Hangouts now supports animated stickers that can be included in messages, and maps of current locations can also be sent in a message.

[​IMG]
    Along with a new look and feel, Hangouts has also gained new option to send a video message that's up to 10 seconds in length to offline users, which can be viewed later.
    Google's Hangouts app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Hangouts for iOS Gains iPad Optimization, iOS 7 Redesign

2. macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Google knows how to do flat UI

Apple take note.

3. macrumors regular

atticus27

it definitely needed a UI update. Having the same color chat bubbles was annoying.

4. macrumors 68040

Of what? We can argue until the cows come home about what constitutes flat design, but I still prefer Apple's more playful take on it, and I think at the end of the day, that's really what matters more, rather than just meeting the technical definitions of "flat" just for the sake of it.

5. macrumors regular

seecoolguy

wonder if they fixed the Google Voice integration? there are times when it won't receive an incoming call, so I use both talkatone and google hangouts for google voice. (hangouts for outgoing, and talkatone for incoming as it always receives calls).

:D

6. macrumors 6502a

This app is so difficult to look at and discern the different UI elements. If this app encompasses Google's take on flat UI, then they suck at it.

7. macrumors regular

About time, hope it fixes the bugs and speed issues as well

8. macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Apple's flat design is just clutter. At least Google's design is nice and clean, and minimalistic.

Now dont get me wrong, iOS 7's UI isn't ENTIRELY bad...the blur effects are beautiful, but overall compared to Google's UI on the Stock Android, Google really takes the cake

9. macrumors 68030

zorinlynx

I still can't send SMS via Google Voice? Why, Google, why???

10. macrumors 68000

Kariya

11. macrumors 68040

acfusion29

12. macrumors newbie

I don't like the intrusive video button on the righthand side while holding the iPad in landscape.

13. macrumors 68000

It looks nothing like a typical Android app. No way Google releases this UI on their Hangouts for Android app.

14. Kariya, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014

macrumors 68000

Kariya

Does to me. Lots of grey and white plus muted colours. Add Roboto and you're pretty much there.

15. macrumors 6502a

Google knows UI? They can't even get mail right. It's also the same company that made a simple video app, YouTube, unusable and put text fields on the same plane as the background, rendering them invisible. I think they took "flat" design literally.

16. macrumors 68040

Cows are coming home!?!? Party time!

17. macrumors 601

Icaras

Thanks for the laugh.

Apple, carry on.

18. macrumors 68000

No slideout navigation, no overflow menu, etc. It looks nothing like any of Google's current apps on Android. I can't imagine Google using the 4 icons at the bottom for navigation considering what they have been moving towards on Android.

19. macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

I just want youtube hangouts like you get on the web version

20. macrumors 68000

Kariya

UI not UX. UX will never be the same because the OS differ in general UX.

21. macrumors 6502a

springsup

From the screenshots, this looks gorgeous. The only thing I don't like is that massive button down the RHS of the screen.

22. macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

[​IMG]

I think Apple took flat literally. Im sorry but the right looks more attractive than the left

23. macrumors newbie

This. This so hard.

24. Nermal, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014

Nermal

Staff Member

Hooray, it *finally* remembers my account details so I don't need to enter my username and password every time. Unfortunately it still has the bug where "in-app sounds" keeps turning itself on.

Hopefully the Return key on the keyboard will actually send a message now, but I can't try that until Monday because my keyboard's at work.

Edit: Nope, it still just goes to the next line. How hard can this be?! :mad:

25. Guest

ppc_michael

I lol'd.