Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Anyone use their U.S. Google hangouts # overseas to make and receive calls and texts from U.S,?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do you mean use the Hangouts app to make/receive calls and texts (via Google Voice essentially)?

I've done that basically with just a WiFi connection and it works fairly well, depending on the WiFi connection for the most part--the connection needs to be a fairly good one (as in fairly fast and with a good signal).

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Do you mean use the Hangouts app to make/receive calls and texts (via Google Voice essentially)?

I've done that basically with just a WiFi connection and it works fairly well, depending on the WiFi connection for the most part--the connection needs to be a fairly good one (as in fairly fast and with a good signal).

Yes we will be in France and want to make and receive calls and texts via Google Hangouts app dialer and text.

I'm wondering if this is a good option since we will be getting SIMS from Orange.

Gin Gin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Yes, I've used it to call home to the U.S. from Italy & Japan, works well as long as you have a good internet connection. In Italy the hotel wifi was often poor and so it didn't work great, but it did work. Last week I was in Tokyo & the hotel wifi was very good & I didn't have any issues using it to make Google Voice/hangouts calls.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Yes, I've used it to call home to the U.S. from Italy & Japan, works well as long as you have a good internet connection. In Italy the hotel wifi was often poor and so it didn't work great, but it did work. Last week I was in Tokyo & the hotel wifi was very good & I didn't have any issues using it to make Google Voice/hangouts calls.

There is old info out there about needing a U.S. ISP with a work around because the foreign country will recognize the ISP your on meaning your not in U.S. This is older info like I said.

2015 do you still need a ISP 'hack' in a foreign country or can you just call via Hangouts dialer with no problem?

hawon

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009
I have used that from at least 10 different countries without any issue.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Anyone use their U.S. Google hangouts # overseas to make and receive calls and texts from U.S,?

I work in Qatar and I am able to make calls and send text to my relatives back in the states.

Gin Gin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
There is old info out there about needing a U.S. ISP with a work around because the foreign country will recognize the ISP your on meaning your not in U.S. This is older info like I said.

2015 do you still need a ISP 'hack' in a foreign country or can you just call via Hangouts dialer with no problem?

The first time I used it was last spring in Italy, and it worked fine. I simply connected to the hotel's wifi & made my call using Hangouts. Did the same just last week in Japan.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
The first time I used it was last spring in Italy, and it worked fine. I simply connected to the hotel's wifi & made my call using Hangouts. Did the same just last week in Japan.

Yes it worked when we were in France the last 3 weeks. However I find you need a pretty solid connection or there are delays and jitter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.