Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scrumper

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2010
Great Britain
As an iPod Touch 4 user, I can tell you that the maps fiasco is just one of several problems with iOS6. Slow wifi, slow system, crashing apps all over the place. The App store, for instance, has never once managed to stay open long enough to find anything! Okay, the 'Touch' only has an A4 chip but it's supposed to be compatible, so that's what I was expecting.

As long as Google do not have a maps app for iOS6, there is time for more and more disgruntled people to voice their dissatisfaction with Apple's sub-par efforts and consider making the move away from Apple altogether. If I were Google, I wouldn't be in any hurry either; just sit back with a fat cigar and smile.

Stormybot

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2004
I'm interested to know how apple maps is not usable to anyone. I deliver pizza for a living. and I use apple maps. No, i dont use turn by turn. All i need is the general area for my delivery and im off. And Apple maps seems to do that well enough.

I live near Redondo Beach in California and I am constantly seeing businesses marked at the incorrect location in Apple Maps. And not just a block away or something, but 6 or 7 blocks away if not more. I try to report them when I can, but that gets tiresome after a while.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Oh hell. So iOS6 users could be without mapping for months?

What a joke Apple is becoming. Still, I hope this blows up in their face bigtime. They need a 'shock to the system' to get back to basics - like freakin' Macs for example.

jrawl004

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Austin, TX
lol

Hopefully they will release one. I haven't updated to IOS 6 specifically because of Apple Maps. If Google launches, I'll update.

Maps App is your reason for not updating to the latest software version....or is it the negative feedback from everyone worried about the satellite images that are out of whack. The app works! It just needs more data to make it better and when that data comes in, this will be the best mapping system.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Didn't Steve Jobs say he would "go to thermonuclear war" with google?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/20/steve-jobs-google-grand-theft_n_1023111.html

IIRC it was specific to Android. Either way it failed.

----------

Simple. Buy Google.

The competition commission would have fun with that one! :p

----------

I'm MORE than happy to pay Google for a Google Maps app. Nothing too exorbitant - $1.99 or $2.99 feels about right...

They wont charge for it - never have done on any other platform and wont start now. I doubt it'll even have adverts in it, however if it does it'll be one of the AdMob ones (Same size as the iAd adverts).

jrawl004

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm interested to know how apple maps is not usable to anyone. I deliver pizza for a living. and I use apple maps. No, i dont use turn by turn. All i need is the general area for my delivery and im off. And Apple maps seems to do that well enough.

I agree with you! I used turn by turn and everything work great to me as well...sometime i think ppl tend to make a fuss about things without actually thinking. Who knows what happened behind closed doors for Apple to make this big change. A lot of these complainers need to put the shoe on the other foot. I would cut ties as well!

frankk

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
Google maps the answer?

I am optimistic that Apple will solve this issue and we'll end up with decent functionality. In the meantime, it makes no sense for me to upgrade to iO6 or purchase iPhone 5. Maps is a key feature for me and one of my most used Aps.

A Google Maps Ap download is a poor alternative if it is not default map application on the phone. Every time I select a contact or select an address, the default pathway will take me to the Apple Ap.

jrawl004

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Austin, TX
As an iPod Touch 4 user, I can tell you that the maps fiasco is just one of several problems with iOS6. Slow wifi, slow system, crashing apps all over the place. The App store, for instance, has never once managed to stay open long enough to find anything! Okay, the 'Touch' only has an A4 chip but it's supposed to be compatible, so that's what I was expecting.

As long as Google do not have a maps app for iOS6, there is time for more and more disgruntled people to voice their dissatisfaction with Apple's sub-par efforts and consider making the move away from Apple altogether. If I were Google, I wouldn't be in any hurry either; just sit back with a fat cigar and smile.

a lot of people are with apple because of the ENTIRE ecosystem. Go ahead and move and see how fragmented things become. I trust with time things will get better with all the issues you stated. You go build a company and expect to always be 100% accurate with everything you set out to do. No one is perfect but with customer feedback you can come close to it!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Maps App is your reason for not updating to the latest software version....or is it the negative feedback from everyone worried about the satellite images that are out of whack. The app works! It just needs more data to make it better and when that data comes in, this will be the best mapping system.

In some parts of the UK the mapping data is abysmal. I've updated to iOS 6 on my iPad but I'm keeping my iPhone on iOS 5 until we see a big improvement.

I've reported dozens of missing towns and incorrect labels to Apple, it'll be interesting to see how fast they react and correct the data.

Last edited:

daviesap

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
Apple are beginning to look really stupid over this.

Their maps are embarassingly bad - if they were on an Android phone they would be a laughing stock.

Really - Duncaster?

It reeks of arrogance

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Attention Google:

Over 100 million downloads of IOS 6. Charge $2.99 for the app. Get at least half of the people, maybe more. Mucho Dinero.

jrawl004

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Austin, TX
In some parts of the UK the mapping data is abysmal. I've updated to iOS 6 on my iPad but I'm keeping my iPhone on iOS 5 until we see a big improvement.

I've reported dozens of missing towns and incorrect labels to Apple, it'll be interesting to see how fast they react and correct the data.

Yeah Im helping the cause to....I believe in what the AAPL provides. I think people are over reacting this maps thing. Google evidently tried to call AAPL's bluff on the maps thing and tried to charge more to use their data but AAPL decided to just release what they currently have instead of bowing down to Google. I don't blame them.

nixdas

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
Leicestershire, England, UK
We all know that Steve Jobs was still around, that he wouldnt have released Apple Maps with iOS6. They timed the development badly. They knew when their license would be up with Google so they should have pushed to get this app polished before then. Google might not even release maps for iOS now as this could be a way to draw more people towards Android. Remember though.. you can still use google map on Google Chrome or Safari on iOS.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
I agree with you! I used turn by turn and everything work great to me as well...sometime i think ppl tend to make a fuss about things without actually thinking. Who knows what happened behind closed doors for Apple to make this big change. A lot of these complainers need to put the shoe on the other foot. I would cut ties as well!

one of the reasons the maps app that remained largely unchanged was just like the youtube app. it's apple that didn't update, not google. see google maps on android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.