Google is adding Major Libraries to its Database.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Xtremehkr, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004

This is a handy feature, but nothing beats the experience of going to a library, or reading a book.
  2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    I'm really impressed how Google is getting involved in academia with the new Google Scholar and now this. While nothing beats the library, it'll be great to have digital, searchable information freely available to all.
  3. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    I agree. There is nothing like wandering the stacks of a large public library. Was perusing "Patience and Fortitude" last night by Nicholas Basbanes and the subject of virtual libraries was addressed and addressed heatedly.

In the US, anything written pre-1923 is public domain. There was a major court case (Eldred v. Ashcroft) which went down a few years ago because the copyright to Mickey Mouse (among other things) was going to expire.

Here is a Q & A on Michigan's website which provides a little more detail.
  4. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    The only concern I have is that Google has apparently decided these book search results will show up on the main page as part of the already massive search results. I guess I'd like to see a catagory like 'News' only for 'Library' results.

Otherwise I love it. It's gonna be great to have access to all that stuff through Google.
  5. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Mar 19, 2004
    A series of tubes
    I also agree. I think it would be great to be able to read any book from the comfort of my home, but I hate reading lengthy material on a computer. There are so many practical reasons why a tangible book is better than an electronic one.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but has anyone noticed that more recent software comes with a PDF manual instead of a printed manual? I am so much more likely to RTFM if it's printed. :D It's very annoying when I'm trying to learn about the features of a new, complex application and I have to flip back and forth between the app and its PDF manual on the same screen. It's much easier to hold a printed manual in my hands and compare its contents with the application on my screen.
  6. dobbin macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2002
    Yup I'd rather have a paper manual than a .pdf.

I still a paper copies of Microsoft Office manuals (for PC Office 97!) and I prefer to look in that to learn something like how to write a formula in Excel (OS X version) than look up the online help thing. Wierd I know, but I like looking it up in a book!

Back on topic - I think the Google library thing is an awesome project especially if they can digitise books that normal people can never get access too, such as some of the old manuscripts in the Bodlean in Oxford. I remember seeing a very early copy of Newtons Principia Mathematica once and its amazing to look at that and think of the history, but most people don't ever get to handle books like that.
  7. panphage macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2003