Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Anybody tried it yet? Worth using compared to Samsung keyboard for example?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
My favorite on Android...the newest version that is (5.0xxx, I think). The new features are great...especially the swipe from the delete key to highlight and delete text. The swipe along the space bar to move the cursor is good, though limited in range of movement (not quite as capable as 3DT cursor navigation on iPhone). I find the swipe typing most accurate of those I've used and tap typing among the best as well.

Google just released a keyboard for iOS (GBoard...story in iOS blog section of forums). I was hoping it would have the slide navigation as well but alas, no dice. However after using for a few minutes, it seems quite accurate, both tap and swipe typing. Not sure how useful the Google search element added to the keyboard will be but giving it a test drive.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
There was an update this morning that includes bug fixes and performance improvements on top of all the new features.

Easily the best keyboard I've used on any smartphone. Certainly the best for Android. I would give it a shot, and then learn these new gestures and features. They're simple, intuitive, and once learned, super helpful. I'm editing like a boss now.

You can learn a lot about the new features here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...y-borders-new-gestures-and-more-apk-download/

And gesture-typing -- I cannot stress how much improved this is now. Amazingly accurate.

Last edited:

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
New S7E owner here.

Is there a way when applying a theme you can pick and choose which part of that theme you would like to pick versus it taking over every aspect of your design on the phone?

Found a theme I love finally but not a fan of the keyboard.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
New S7E owner here.

Is there a way when applying a theme you can pick and choose which part of that theme you would like to pick versus it taking over every aspect of your design on the phone?

Found a theme I love finally but not a fan of the keyboard.

No. Not on a Samsung. You can only apply a theme wholly, or not at all. Hopefully they implement it in the future but as it stands nope.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Yeah I've been in same boat, liked a themes icons but not colour scheme or vice versa and it's a shame that we can't intermingle elements we want or don't want. It's one area where HTC theming is superior as it does allow cross remixing. It shouldn't be a big deal to implement so hopefully Samsung introduce it as some point in the future.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
My favorite on Android...the newest version that is (5.0xxx, I think). The new features are great...especially the swipe from the delete key to highlight and delete text. The swipe along the space bar to move the cursor is good, though limited in range of movement (not quite as capable as 3DT cursor navigation on iPhone). I find the swipe typing most accurate of those I've used and tap typing among the best as well.

Google just released a keyboard for iOS (GBoard...story in iOS blog section of forums). I was hoping it would have the slide navigation as well but alas, no dice. However after using for a few minutes, it seems quite accurate, both tap and swipe typing. Not sure how useful the Google search element added to the keyboard will be but giving it a test drive.

Yeah, just started using it on my iPhone and it works really well. It's still missing a couple things, it needs more languages (right now only English is an option), it isn't linked to my Google account for some reason, no option to sign in. And I really like how the stock apple keyboard switched between a light and dark theme depending on the app your in, would like to see that on the Google keyboard as well.

Reactions: gotluck and tbayrgs

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, just started using it on my iPhone and it works really well. It's still missing a couple things, it needs more languages (right now only English is an option), it isn't linked to my Google account for some reason, no option to sign in. And I really like how the stock apple keyboard switched between a light and dark theme depending on the app your in, would like to see that on the Google keyboard as well.

Third party keyboards are certainly improving but they're hamstrung too much by Apple. If they could open up the .api for the 3DT cursor navigation, allow integration with their voice dictation and give us the option to use them for passwords/sensitive data, they could be so much better.

Reactions: Fernandez21

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
gboard is the best keyboard on ios for me now (can press, hold and slide on spacebar for 3dt effect, its pretty good, would never know it could do that if didnt see it in the ios blog thread ) needs voice dictation, but I would pick swipe over voice dictation

better standard typing than word flow

stock keyboard has no swipe typing, cant do it

Reactions: tbayrgs

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Third party keyboards are certainly improving but they're hamstrung too much by Apple. If they could open up the .api for the 3DT cursor navigation, allow integration with their voice dictation and give us the option to use them for passwords/sensitive data, they could be so much better.
Yeah, though you can use the space button to move the cursor, just swipe left or right on it. You can't move up or down though like you can with apples stock keyboard. On the plus, it seems like the lag and glitches have been fixed, I haven't tried a 3rd party keyboard since release because it was so horrible at first. But performance seems fine now, at least it is with the Gboard.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
gboard is the best keyboard on ios for me now (can press, hold and slide on spacebar for 3dt effect, its pretty good, would never know it could do that if didnt see it in the ios blog thread ) needs voice dictation, but I would pick swipe over voice dictation

Have you a link to gboard ? Nothing coming up on App Store here. :(

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Where it has the google voice option i see in a youtube clip you can search for things within the keyboard.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
gboard is the best keyboard on ios for me now (can press, hold and slide on spacebar for 3dt effect, its pretty good, would never know it could do that if didnt see it in the ios blog thread) needs voice dictation, but I would pick swipe over voice dictation

Thanks, had no idea about the swipe navigation via the keyboard. However it seems quite limited---will let me keep swiping back to the left but going to the right it only lets me go as far as the end of whatever word I'm in. :confused:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Thanks, had no idea about the swipe navigation via the keyboard. However it seems quite limited---will let me keep swiping back to the left but going to the right it only lets me go as far as the end of whatever word I'm in. :confused:

Still has some quirks but I'm loving it. Disabling character preview makes it extra snappy. Even on my air 1, I am stoked. Word flow standard typing was driving me bonkers, Swiftkey is significantly slower and heavier imo

Running it standalone, with even Apple emoji keyboard disabled in settings

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Where is this version of the GK. I don't seem to have these features on mine and its fresh from the playstore ?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Where is this version of the GK. I don't seem to have these features on mine and its fresh from the playstore ?

What version MRU? The newest version with all the bells and whistles is version 5.0xxx. As usually for Google, they were rolling out the update in stages, also not sure if it was US first or some nonsense like that. You can side load the .apk too--link is available somewhere. I loaded N Preview on my Nexus 6P so I'm back to the old (but still pretty good ;)) version as the newest doesn't' work on N yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.