Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
A timely article from the Verge that echo's my sentiments exactly regarding Apple's implementation of 3rd party keyboards.

iOS is still keeping other keyboards from greatness

And considering Apple's reasoning is all about 'privacy', not holding my breath that these limitation will be disappearing any time soon. :(

Ya... I just read the same thing and pretty much agree.

It'd be fine if Apple at least improved the iOS keyboard themselves. Unless I'm mistaken, there hasn't been any major improvements other than tweaks and whatnot, right? Not sure.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Ya... I just read the same thing and pretty much agree.

It'd be fine if Apple at least improved the iOS keyboard themselves. Unless I'm mistaken, there hasn't been any major improvements other than tweaks and whatnot, right? Not sure.

The iOS keyboard is still my favorite for tap typing but I've come to rely on swipe typing so much more now. If they added swipe to the iOS keyboards, I'd probably stick with it. But at the same time, I've exploring the other options available--Word Flow is really good for swipe style and the new GBoard is really intriguing--just hate how I have to switch back for voice dictation or all password entry.

Reactions: epicrayban

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
The iOS keyboard is still my favorite for tap typing but I've come to rely on swipe typing so much more now. If they added swipe to the iOS keyboards, I'd probably stick with it. But at the same time, I've exploring the other options available--Word Flow is really good for swipe style and the new GBoard is really intriguing--just hate how I have to switch back for voice dictation or all password entry.

I miss the iOS keyboard so much on my s7e. Screw iMessage, FaceTime, and those things. Give me my iOS keyboard!!!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I miss the iOS keyboard so much on my s7e. Screw iMessage, FaceTime, and those things. Give me my iOS keyboard!!!

Yup, agree with gotluck about it missing swipe but otherwise it's still my overall favorite. Add good swipe typing and it'll be near perfect, IMO. Well, at least in portrait orientation. In landscape on the iPhone, it's a hot mess.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Never liked it. Use it very rarely in one handed needs but that's in extreme circumstances.
Yeah, I much prefer tap typing as well. Even one handed I'll tap type.

I get why Apple restricts 3rd keyboards, and it's probably the way would do it. Could you imagine the flak Apple would get if some 3rd party keyboard copied your passwords? But I think they should at least give the option with warning.

Just add a toggle right here that's says "passwords" and if you turn it on it gives you a warning that the keyboard could be copying you passwords or something and that's it.
5dc4226f6e76c09d986480ad0782d270.jpg

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I much prefer the Google keyboard over Samsung's on my s7e. The swiping seems a lot more accurate

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If Apple adopts swipe I will jump right back. I can't live without it. One handed use on the 6s is beautiful with it

The iPad would benefit from gesture typing as well. I think about it EVERY SINGLE TIME I type on my iPad. It begs for it.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Gboard highlights the cavernous gap between Google Innovation and Apple Stagnation. If not for the highly effective Apple Hype Machine, the Cupertino Company wouldn't continue to collect the fat profit margins.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Gotta reiterate how good the new Google keyboard is.

I love that you can long press the comma button for the keyboard shrink feature to automatically shrink and justify the keyboard left, and then the enter key can be long pressed to shrink the keyboard and justify it right. So you can pick which side you exactly want to shrink the keyboard to depending on which hand is doing the typing one handed.

Intuitive.

Also, once you learn the new gesture controls (slide on spacebar to move cursor, and slide back from delete key to delete entire words/sentences), editing becomes a breeze. Being able to undo the gesture delete is so handy too.

And these features on top of an already awesome keyboard.

This is running laps around the iOS keyboard.

Edit: And you'd think gesture typing would be harder on a cramped keyboard when it's shrink and justified, but it's still amazing and accurate.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I wish they would add the number row like the samsung keyboard. I know you can enable it as a special keyboard, but then you can't resize it. I find having the number row right there to be really convenient.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I wish they would add the number row like the samsung keyboard. I know you can enable it as a special keyboard, but then you can't resize it. I find having the number row right there to be really convenient.
Yup. It shows up when entering passwords, but I wish there a way to make it permanent.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
looks like ios gboard is up on uk canada and Australian app stores

best swipe keyboard on ios imo!

Yeah still no Ireland :(

What is it ? We can have the Google HQ, the Apple HQ here with thousands employed and yet neither Apple or Google ever make Ireland one of their first supported countries ... We're only good for the tax write offs ;)

Reactions: gotluck

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Yeah still no Ireland :(

What is it ? We can have the Google HQ, the Apple HQ here with thousands employed and yet neither Apple or Google ever make Ireland one of their first supported countries ... We're only good for the tax write offs ;)

ugh I thought for sure you'd be included :-/

so silly

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Gboard on iOS did get an update today. Feels like it's running a little better but haven't had much time with the update yet. This keyboard is defintely my favorite 3rd party keyboard on iOS and I haven't had much issue with it. I do wish the keys were slightly bigger (they seem smaller than the iOS keyboard).

Attachments

• IMG_2368.PNG
    IMG_2368.PNG
    438.5 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: gotluck

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Just installed it and it seems really nice, works fine on iOS 10 on my iPad Mini 2, only slight snag is when setting up keyboard when you select the option to get sent to settings to to install a keyboard nothing happens you have to manually exit the setup and go in to setting yourself and and install the keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.