Google Launches First Beta Build of 64-Bit Chrome for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 28, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Google today announced the launch of the first beta build of 64-bit Chrome for Mac, following the public release of 64-bit Chrome for Windows.

Earlier this month, Google added 64-bit support to Chrome Canary for OS X, the experimental build of its Chrome web browser, but with this new beta version, testers on the Beta channel will have access to 64-bit Chrome support.

According to Google, 64-bit support for Chrome will bring several speed and security improvements to the browser, in addition to decreasing the amount of memory it uses.
    64-bit support for the Windows Chrome beta was implemented in July with a stable release coming a a month afterwards, so a stable Mac release could possibly follow a similar timeline, coming in September.

Article Link: Google Launches First Beta Build of 64-Bit Chrome for Mac

2. macrumors newbie

amen

finally!

3. macrumors 6502a

Finally.

4. macrumors 6502a

I have a message for the Chrome development team.

Sure took your sweet time, didn't you guys?

5. Stridder44, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014

macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Chrome added DirectWrite support for Chrome recently as well. The result is that text in Chrome looks amazing now. While DirectDraw is of course only a Windows thing, does anybody know if OS X had something similar that Chrome could utilize (or has already been utilizing)?

6. macrumors 6502

OS X renders things properly.

7. macrumors newbie

Performance degradation

I have always greatly preferred Chrome over Safari, but the 32-Bit version was overheating my MBP after I installed Mavericks. I switched to Safari for awhile because I couldn't stand the fan noise.

When I noticed the Canary 64-Bit build of Chrome a few weeks ago, I jumped on it. It was great (no overheating/fan noise) up until build 39 a few days ago. Now it is just as bad as the 32-Bit version.

8. macrumors 65816

kappaknight

I honestly can't tell the difference between Canary and regular Chrome on my rMBP.

9. macrumors 6502

So they can track you in 64-bits now... Better than 32 I suppose if you're into that.

10. macrumors newbie

Does it support java?

11. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Acknowledging the fact that they're only 6 years behind on this. Seriously - the migration from 32-bit to 64-bit predates Chrome's first release, why the hell did it take this long? Why wasn't it 64-bit out of the gate?

12. macrumors 65816

arkmannj

that's my question also

13. macrumors 6502a

a0me

To be fair, text usually looks like crap on Windows.

14. Traverse, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014

macrumors 601

Traverse

Windows doesn't do a good job at font smoothing so text looked too jagged. However, when running Windows on a Retina MacBook Pro, Chrome's UI and all rendered content was pixelated due to terrible scaling. Chrome now incorporates Windows Direct Write allowing for a sharp UI and high quality content. I am amazed that FireFox incorporated this so long before the "most advanced browser".

15. macrumors 6502a

I wonder if it has the same server running in the background that my service tech showed me at work is on the widows version.

16. macrumors regular

I installed some software the other day that sends all my keystrokes to servers in the cloud, and automatically updates itself in the background (at any time) without asking first.

Oh, and other than Chrome I might also have some spyware on my system.

/s

17. macrumors 6502a

Nice but I think it's too late.

18. macrumors 6502

This should Apple's motto... it would fit perfectly! every year Apple announces and releases basic stuff that is "nice" to have, purely because Apple fans haven't had it the last 10 years while every other platform has... heck even dual screen in OSX is still totally iffy (yes also wonky in 10.10) compared to windows and linux.

Anyway, 64bit chrome is good, late or not.

19. macrumors 6502

groovyd

blow the public beta yosemite out of the water on sunspider. chrome runs in all of 10 seconds while safari takes minutes. interesting is they both return very close results. something is def wrong with this preview build.

----------

one big feature for me however is the double light tap on the magic mouse to zoom into a paragraph or photo or video under safari.

Google seems to be using a quarter of the memory of safari as well rendering the same page.

20. macrumors regular

Why did it take so long for the most popular web browser to do this? Especially one created by the king of the internet: Google.

[​IMG]

21. macrumors 6502

groovyd

safari still scrolls much smoother even in the public beta which i imagine is doing all sorts of background data collection. text seems smoother too.

22. macrumors 6502a

Um what has Apple been late on? Besides bigger iPhone screen. I love how you criticize Apple so much but then you look at your url and it says macrumors.com. Do you have scars on your back from all the whipping?

23. macrumors 6502a

You mean like the Macintosh, the Quicktake, the Newton, the iPod, the iPhone, the MacBook Air, and the iPhone? Yeah, Apple is ALWAYS behind... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

24. macrumors newbie

25. macrumors 6502

Why don't you run Chromium instead? You can either compile it yourself so you know what you're getting or go the lazy route and use this: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36244/chromium