Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Then every search you've ever made on Google when signed in has been associated with your IP address. Your internet provider knows who you are (your name address and probably a credit card #) and they certainly know what your IP address is and can be forced to give it up under certain circumstances. So, if certain authorities get the right warrants to present to both your ISP and Google then they can have all of your search data on Google, even 50 years from now.

If you weren't signed in then it wouldn't be there and couldn't be discovered, even with a warrant.

The difference between your ISP and Google is that your ISP isn't keeping a "forever" record of you search queries.

No.
1. My IP address changes periodically. I can change it at will, too. I think it's like this for almost everyone.
2. Your ISP knows where you live and every URL you've ever visited, and they always will even if you switch your IP address every second.
3. Even if you're not signed into Google, your ISP knows exactly what URLs you are going to. The feds can get a warrant...
4. You aren't forced to sign into Google. You're forced to get DHCP leases and request data from your ISP.
5. I'm not a terrorist or drug dealer, so no warrants are going to go out for me.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
You have to MANUALLY delete your old songs and download the matched songs on iTunes ;)

Yes I know that. Did you go through every track and manually check it matched it perfectly? I know I didn't. I created a smart playlist of sub-256kbps tracks, deleted those tracks and albums that were matched and then downloaded the superior bit-rate versions. I probably still haven't listened to all of the replaced versions yet.

Making an archival back-up to avoid nasty surprises in the future may be wise if you care about the more obscure or particularly similar sections of your iTunes library, that's all I'm saying.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm sorry but you are wrong. Searches made when not signed in are disassociated with the IP address after a matter of months. Searches performed when signed in are associated with the IP address forever.

Then you have never signed into a Google account ...

Please read these pages. Because as I said - you can opt out. And you aren't identifiable. Take the tin foil off please.

https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads/preferences/?hl=en#optout
http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This turns out to be better than Apple for two reasons...

- There s no subscription fee

- Song are matched to 320k (while Apple only matces to 256K AAC)

Does Google match to mp3, or what format?

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Though since your IP address changes every month, it doesn't matter all that much. If you did some illegal, like grab a file off a website, and the feds requested the IP addresses for all the people involved. They wouldn't contact Google. They'd get a warrant for the webmaster, then go straight to your ISP, and ask who was assigned 149.224.14.237 at such and such date. Google wouldn't even be involved at all.

Yes. Renewing your DHCP lease also changes your IP address instantly.

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
But it's not just Google. Just from you user name, I can find out a lot about you. Just by searching you user name, I found:
1) Your youtube channel. From here I can tell what kind of videos you like, etc.
2) Your instagram profile. From here I can actually tell what you look like, where you live, etc.
3) I can check your ebay profile, your amazon profile, and your Google+ profile.

These are some of the most popular services, and they all store your information. Also, these are just from the first page of the Google Search. Some of the most popular Android and iOS apps require access to your GPS location, contacts, and other personal information. If you want to remain completely private, you pretty much need to just stop using the internet or you need to be very paranoid as to what services you are using.

I would never actually look someone up in this much detail, but this was just for a demonstration. All this information is on the internet for everybody to see, so what is so surprising by the fact that Google is storing all of this information about you. Also, even on this site, I can easily browse 20 pages of your comments.

Not my instagram profile. My last name is not Crutchfield.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Not my instagram profile. My last name is not Crutchfield.

Still, my point is that all of this information is easily accessible by anyone. A lot of the most popular services store your information, and it is available to the public. I'm sure with a little bit of more trouble, someone can easily find out a lot about you.

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Still, my point is that all of this information is easily accessible by anyone. A lot of the most popular services store your information, and it is available to the public. I'm sure with a little bit of more trouble, someone can easily find out a lot about you.

Accessibility is not the issue. Google has the data and an algorithm that can compile it better than most.

Anyway, have a good night fellas. I'm out of here to head to Pub Trivia. Maybe there will be a google question.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
But it's not just Google. Just from you user name, I can find out a lot about you. Just by searching you user name, I found:
1) Your youtube channel. From here I can tell what kind of videos you like, etc.
2) Your instagram profile. From here I can actually tell what you look like, where you live, etc.
3) I can check your ebay profile, your amazon profile, and your Google+ profile.

These are some of the most popular services, and they all store your information. Also, these are just from the first page of the Google Search. Some of the most popular Android and iOS apps require access to your GPS location, contacts, and other personal information. If you want to remain completely private, you pretty much need to just stop using the internet or you need to be very paranoid as to what services you are using.

I would never actually look someone up in this much detail, but this was just for a demonstration. All this information is on the internet for everybody to see, so what is so surprising by the fact that Google is storing all of this information about you. Also, even on this site, I can easily browse 20 pages of your comments.

eek, just goes to show you that people should fear everything as much as they do google.

Paying for a service gives a false sense of security IMO. Everyone is collecting data and trying to capitalize on it.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
eek, just goes to show you that people should fear everything as much as they do google. Paying for the service gives a false sense of security.

Exactly. People here act like Google is the only one that stores users' information.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Tablets, sure Android tablets are generally cheaper but no one is ever claiming they beat Apple when price is no issue. Phones? I hardly see a value in $50 savings when we all pay over $1000 for data, voice and text plans. Maps??? I wasn't aware Apple or Google charged for mapping apps.

The fact that the Nexus 4 is unlocked for only $299 is a bargain. I never said the service will be free. That's a given.

As far as tablets, Google tablets hardware wise are good, it's just the OS apps that need better tweaking for tablets.
And I didn't mean they charge, so exempt that one. The fact of the matter is, Google Maps are hands down better than Apple Maps - free or not.

AtariMac

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
Southeastern, PA
I find these threads funny. People need to go outside a breath some fresh air. Apple has its good and bad points, Google has its good and bad points. If you want to stick with Apple, stick with Apple. If you want to stick with Google, stick with Google.

Fighting over companies that frankly only want your money is silly. Get a girlfriend, kiss the wife, ride your bike.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
The bad part is when you try using it on the iPhone. Pretty bad there.

Works pretty well here. If you lose cell signal it gets confused. Just have to go to another song.

I find it best to pick a dl bum or list and download it right as or before I leave for best results.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
When oh when will they remove the 25,000 song limit on iTunes Match?! Can't use it till then sadly.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dear Macrumors,

I don't think you understand what 'free' means. I would think, after the whole Instagram debacle, that this would be more clear.

Google is not doing this out of the kindness of their collective heart. Google want to add your listening habits to the already-gargantuan amount of profile data it has on you. Of course there is a secondary halo effect of getting you locked in to Google's services. But convincing you to give up more of your privacy in order to more effectively target ads at you is probably the primary goal.

So this is not a 'free' service; it is merely a non-monetary transaction, privacy for some audio files.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Works pretty well here. If you lose cell signal it gets confused. Just have to go to another song.

I find it best to pick a dl bum or list and download it right as or before I leave for best results.

I haven't been that happy with it since iOS 6. Apple decided to take away control of what stays on your phone and when it leaves. It makes it look like it is streaming, but it is caching on your phone. And if you decide to download so that you can have it with you when you have no service, you can't delete it without completely turning match off on your phone, deleting and re-enableing it. You can pretty much count on some major changes to match on the iPhone in the next major update.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
ACC format was the main reason I stopped buying music from Apple. To this day I have 50+ songs I can only play in iTunes without paying Apple additional money to upgrade. I buy all my music at Amazon and it's usually cheaper.

AAC is not the reason you stopped buying from iTunes. Protected AAC is.

AAC is a codec that is widely available and vastly superior to MP3. It's also part of the DLNA standard, which is why I rip all my CDs to 320 AAC now.

It may not be as perfect as FLAC but the fact I can stream or transfer my music collection to almost any device that can play digital music is good enough to compensate.

I buy a CD and I do what I want with it in any format. Something which the vast majority of download services will never let you do.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
Because it gets them something they can exploit in the future. You.

How are they exploiting me? I guess if someone wants to buy the info of what I'm searching or listening to, more power to them, it's no skin off my back. But, I'm not very interesting or a spy or anything, so I would rather have the services for no monetary cost to me.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Dear Macrumors,

I don't think you understand what 'free' means. I would think, after the whole Instagram debacle, that this would be more clear.

Google is not doing this out of the kindness of their collective heart. Google want to add your listening habits to the already-gargantuan amount of profile data it has on you. Of course there is a secondary halo effect of getting you locked in to Google's services. But convincing you to give up more of your privacy in order to more effectively target ads at you is probably the primary goal.

So this is not a 'free' service; it is merely a non-monetary transaction, privacy for some audio files.

Doesn't Apple also lock you into their own services?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.