Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I can't send an iMessage sticker to someone who uses Android. Or all features of iMessage including end to end encryption. Therefore it's not cross-platform.
Yes you can. It gets sent as a gif. iMessage has a layer of features on top of open standards, making it infinitely less proprietary than a Facebook owned app that requires the people you talk to download, install and sign up before you can even initiate a conversation.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
Yes you can. It gets sent as a gif. iMessage has a layer of features on top of open standards, making it infinitely less proprietary than a Facebook owned app that requires the people you talk to download, install and sign up before you can even initiate a conversation.
Even if it is sent as a gif, it would be a MMS message and most carriers charge you for using MMS.

And stickers is ONE thing anyway, what about other iMessage features?

Don't know why we are arguing this anyway as I just figured it out that iMessage features are disabled when chatting to a non-iMessage device.

Also, regardless on what you say - still no end to end encryption unless both users have iMessage turned on.

This is why iMessage must be available on other devices if it ever wants to compete with Messenger and WhatsApp. Until then, it will always be behind.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
You are not getting what I am saying here: WhatsApp and Messenger are far more proprietary than iMessage. And far less convenient since users have to download and install third party apps to even initiate a conversation since there is no fallback to SMS or MMS (which are free for most users anyway).

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
You are not getting what I am saying here: WhatsApp and Messenger are far more proprietary than iMessage. And far less convenient since users have to download and install third party apps to even initiate a conversation since there is no fallback to SMS or MMS (which are free for most users anyway).
Yes, nothing at this point beats SMS at this point as everyone who has a phone has it. But you can only send standard texts that's it. And if you are not on a plan, it's not free to send texts. At least with a 3rd party, you can use Wifi.

And sending texts internationally is expensive. MMS maybe free for YOUR carrier but especially in the UK, it's not.

In addition to no group chats, no group calls and video, no voice texting etc.

There are so many downsides with SMS vs. 3rd parties that's why if you have a smartphone you're gonna most likely have a 3rd party app.

And while iMessage does have "most" of those features (with FaceTime), its features will only work if the recipient has iMessage turned on.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
And while iMessage does have "most" of those features (with FaceTime), its features will only work if the recipient has iMessage turned on.
There are certainly more people with iPhones that have iMessage turned on (by default) than there are people willing to download and set up a third party messaging app.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
There are certainly more people with iPhones that have iMessage turned on (by default) than there are people willing to download and set up a third party messaging app.

Errr no?

Messenger Audience:
iOS, Android, Windows (Phone, Tablet & PC), Mac, Chromebook (via messenger.com), Linux, limited dummy phones.

iMessage Audience:
iOS, Mac.

There is no way there are more iMessage users than Messenger users. Because even for people like me, I can have iMessage but ALSO Messenger.

However for something new/unknown like Google Allo, then yes that's where you win your argument.

Last edited:

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
You're always talking about SMS, but that's irrelevant in connection with iMessage because everyone with a mobile phone has it. And iMessage is still Apple only. Yes, in Apple-Candyland (US) many people have iPhones, but in almost every other country iPhones are a minority.

That's why iMessage is not even a competitor in instant messaging, as long ad it's not available on other platforms.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
I'm pretty sure that even though iPhones are dominant in the US (hard to believe that, but ok), they'll always be that person with an Android or a Windows Phone. You cannot use iMessage with him/her. Then what?

Don't say SMS because what if I want to add that person to the iMessage group chat? Impossible.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I'm pretty sure that even though iPhones are dominant in the US (hard to believe that, but ok), they'll always be that person with an Android or a Windows Phone. You cannot use iMessage with him/her. Then what?

Don't say SMS because what if I want to add that person to the iMessage group chat? Impossible.
Funny, because I have quite a few green bubble peeps in my group chats, and we communicate just fine.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
You're always talking about SMS, but that's irrelevant in connection with iMessage because everyone with a mobile phone has it. And iMessage is still Apple only. Yes, in Apple-Candyland (US) many people have iPhones, but in almost every other country iPhones are a minority.
Not sure why you think I'm from the US. But I'll concede that most developing countries and even some European countries outside of the cities are Android dominated. Still does not matter since iMessage is falling back to SMS and, third party apps doesn't.

Your argument was that iMessage is proprietary. You still have not made a single argument for how it is more proprietary than your third party chat app of choice.

As for user base it is a three way tie between iMessage, WhatsApp and Messenger at roughly 1Bn active users per month right now. OBVIOUSLY this is geo and class dependent, but that's not the point. The point you made was that iMessage is somehow proprietary and by comparison, and of virtue of being cross platform, third party chat apps weren't.
[doublepost=1474643334][/doublepost]
Unless it's a group chat set up by GroupMe, Google Allo, that's impossible. SMS wasn't designed for group chats.
That might be the case, but ever since you have been able to send an SMS to several numbers at once, group chats have been de fact possible. Just because a protocol was originally meant to be a one to one, doesn't mean that there aren't ways around that.

Group SMS/MMS or iMessage chats are all possible, regardless of devices you are communicating with:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202724

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
Not sure why you think I'm from the US. But I'll concede that most developing countries and even some European countries outside of the cities are Android dominated. Still does not matter since iMessage is falling back to SMS and, third party apps doesn't.

Your argument was that iMessage is proprietary. You still have not made a single argument for how it is more proprietary than your third party chat app of choice.

As for user base it is a three way tie between iMessage, WhatsApp and Messenger at roughly 1Bn active users per month right now. OBVIOUSLY this is geo and class dependent, but that's not the point. The point you made was that iMessage is somehow proprietary and by comparison, and of virtue of being cross platform, third party chat apps weren't.
[doublepost=1474643334][/doublepost]That might be the case, but ever since you have been able to send an SMS to several numbers at once, group chats have been de fact possible. Just because a protocol was originally meant to be a one to one, doesn't mean that there aren't ways around that.

Group SMS/MMS or iMessage chats are all possible, regardless of devices you are communicating with:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202724

There is no such thing as group SMS, man. :/Unless Allo or GroupMe are the middle men.

Now there is such thing as MMS Group Messaging, but it depends on your carrier (and your mates) if it supports it. And you may get charged per sent text. And I'll certainly don't want to use THAT.

Also 1 billion active devices is not active iMessage users. No one in Apple said there are 1 billion active iMessage users.

Last edited:

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
The number between active iOS users and active iMessage users would be negligible. That's the power of defaults.
Not really. Remember that iPhone is not the only Apple device that has access to iMessage. For example there are iPad only users who don't use iMessage at all, but count as an active iOS user. I know, I have grandparents who never use iMessage on their iPads.

iphoneguy824

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2017
Utah
Even if it is sent as a gif, it would be a MMS message and most carriers charge you for using MMS.

And stickers is ONE thing anyway, what about other iMessage features?

Don't know why we are arguing this anyway as I just figured it out that iMessage features are disabled when chatting to a non-iMessage device.

Also, regardless on what you say - still no end to end encryption unless both users have iMessage turned on.

This is why iMessage must be available on other devices if it ever wants to compete with Messenger and WhatsApp. Until then, it will always be behind.

Totally agree. It's fascinating though how much leverage they have. Everyone in my family is switching to iPhone because group texts are such a pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.