Google Launches New iPhone Web Application

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google announced that they have launched a new web-based application for the Apple iPhone that integrates its multiple services into a single interface. The new application is based on AJAX/Web 2.0 technologies and is launched when an iPhone user visits http://www.google.com.
    The Google web-application offers tabs for Gmail, Calendar, Reader (RSS) and other services.

While Web-based applications have been the only Apple-sanctioned method to deploy applications to the iPhone, Steve Jobs has announced that a native iPhone developer's kit will be released in February 2008. This should allow developers to release native applications that do not require the use of Safari to launch.

Article Link

2. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Ah, this is new?

It's been online for at least a few days, as I've already accidentally been there.

--
    edit: well, it looks a bit different. I think the extra stuff used to be below the search box. Where's "I'm Feeling Lucky"?

3. macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

nice! it works on the touch too. :)

4. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It's actually quite nice.

GMail is nicely iPhone formatted.

arn

5. macrumors 65816

Wow, this is great. Google is hitting home runs with the iPhone integration. I may now buy SpanningSync to link my iCal to Google Calendar. Their Leopard functionality scares me a the moment though (SpanningSync).

I like it so far. Every Google service looks great on my iPhone!

It would be nice if there were more calendar views/functionality, though.

6. macrumors member

Nice. I'm not a big gmail user, which looks to be the biggest benefit here, but it's good to see Google sharing the love with iPhone.

7. macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's new.

I was on google with my phone at about 12am and it was the old one, and i went there today at about 8AM, and there it was.

it's nice.

8. macrumors 65816

I've noticed the iPhone-optimized Gmail for at least a few weeks, if not a month or more.

9. macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

I've been having a problem using the new Google Reader on the iPod Touch. I can click on a story, but I can't go back to the list of stories. Maybe I'm just missing something.

10. macrumors 6502a

Can Safari on the Mac spoof as the iPhone so we can see it?

11. macrumors 68000

not working for me
    it auto-redirects me to www.google.co.uk/m
    even though its not the mobile google...

12. macrumors regular

It's a nice idea, but this isn't really an "application", it's just cute formatting in a web page. Please, stop calling these things "applications" and call them what they really are -- user-agent-sniffing sites that show you different formatting depending on what you're browsing with. This is nothing new and not really news.

13. macrumors 6502

Very cool... I like how gmail integrates with the iphone address book. Google is really firing on all cylinders right now. It will be interesting to see how far they can push the envelope with their open source cell phone platform.

14. macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I love how the iphone just gets better and better with things like this.

15. macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

wow. I am impressed. So quick and responsive. Bravo Google.

16. macrumors 6502

There are such things as web applications. Yes, these tools provided by Google are applications. Just because you access them through a browser doesn't make them a "web page". GMail is an application whether you access it on your desktop PC or your iPhone. Likewise with Google Calendar, Docs, etc.

17. macrumors 68000

As stated in the original post by MacRumors:
    There's a big difference between simple styling and an AJAXified interface. It is more of an application than just a bunch of static web pages. Think before you rant.

Now, if only I can see it.... Can someone post screenshots?

18. macrumors 6502

Ditto for me, nothing new to see at the moment. Maybe only being rolled out in the US for the time being.

19. macrumors newbie

20. macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Are Google Docs and Spreadsheets specially formatted as well? Does this mean that the iPhone can be meaningfully used for editing Word files etc when online now? If so, can someone put up screenshots?

21. macrumors regular

Does anyone else's back button not work at the google page?

22. macrumors regular

really cool.. but not really a big deal.. definitly nicer to search via google.. and its brand new, the old format looks similar and that has been out for many months, this one sports the new top menu, which is nice... i like it... it was a pain to search for images before...

23. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Odd, am I the only one who goes to google.com and gets automatically directed to the mobile google?

24. macrumors 6502

www.google.com/m

25. Guest

calculus

I don't get it either. I guess it's not yet for those of us not in America:(