Google Linux?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simie, Feb 3, 2006.

1. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Attached Files:

2. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

It was reported elsewhere that a Google spokesperson stated that Google had developed it's own Linux based on Ubuntu that they called "Goobuntu"... but that it was for internal use only.

The article you linked fails to mention the part about it being for internal use only... this isn't something they are going to release. They most likely just developed it because they didn't want their employees using the buggy/virus/spyware filled mess that is MS Windows.

3. savar macrumors 68000

savar

It would be really popular if they did, though. Imagine a GDE (Google Desktop Environment), GDBFS (Google Database File System), and integrated desktop search. WOW. I'm surprised they haven't done this yet.

4. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Won't happen. Nobody will use a system that shows advertisements to the right of each window ;-)

5. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Google wants to work with Sun to create an Office competitor and alternative.

Google is rumoured to have an OS in the works (possibly seperate from the supposed 'Goobuntu').

Google is also rumoured to be interested in selling Google-branded PC's as well.

Now, there are rumours, but every rumor known to man does have at least some truth to it. Google has denied some of these claims - but why wouldn't they? When is the last time a company released critical info that would help the competition get a leg up months or years before being ready?

I think all of these things are in line to happen, and that it is only a matter of time.

6. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

7. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

Found this...
    http://www.goobuntu.com
    [​IMG]

I hope this is a fake, because it's UGLY! Looks like a toy for 5 year olds.

8. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I don't think it is Google running the site.

edit: i should actually read the page first. It's definitly not run by Google. :eek:

9. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

Well, duh it's not run by google. But it sure is interesting. That GUI, seems very Google-ish even if it isnt.

10. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

It does?! I thought it looked terrible!

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I know where St. Charles Ave. is in New Orleans is, but I'm not so sure where this New Orleans, Louisana, California is. Not to mention St. Charles Ave. is a couple miles long and they should definitely have a street address.

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

A-yup. That would be here.

13. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

http://www.google.com/linux is a link to Google's Linux search engine - it turns up results related to linux instead of everything on the Internet. You can also get to this page by going to google.com, clicking more, clicking special searches, and then clicking Linux. There's an Apple one too.