Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has announced a new feature in its Search and Maps services that enables Black Friday shoppers to know how busy a store is in real time.

Dubbed "crowd control", the live feature comes on the back of the company's Popular Times feature, introduced last year, that lets users check how busy a place typically is at different times of the week.

Screen-Shot-1-3-800x518.jpg

Just in time for the Black Friday swarms, we're adding a real-time look at how crowded a place is right now, to help you decide where and when to go. Whether you're rushing to pick up a last minute gift or seeking a lively bar for some festive spirit, check Popular Times for a sneak preview of what to expect when you arrive.
The feature works by crowd-sourcing anonymized location data from other Google users and also feeds in Google searches to analyze how busy a location is at any given moment.

In addition, Google is also introducing a new way of checking how long people typically stay at a particular location, thereby allowing users to plan their itinerary ahead of time and to the minute.

The features augment the services' existing location information, which also now includes individual department and service hours for stores, businesses, restaurants. The added times are meant to help users know what time they can, say, use the pharmacy at the local drugstore or supermarket, or to find out what time food delivery begins at a nearby restaurant.

Many retailers offer steep discounts on popular items on Black Friday in order to attract customers, with Apple products frequently being included in these sales. To keep track of all the best Apple-related deals, be sure to visit MacRumors' Black Friday roundup page.

Article Link: Google Maps Now Lets You Check How Crowded a Store is in Real Time

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
This has been in the U.K. for ages actually. I've frequently used it to check how busy a store is at a certain time.
Edit- using safari.

Reactions: moobat

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
Another reminder to turn stop using all Google products and services, as apparently they're tracking you down to the store level.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Oh, so this is probably why when I google something in Safari on my iPhone, Google requests to know my location so many freaking times...

Reactions: moobat

Nr123*123

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2014
So, Google uses location data.....to give you free advice and the Apple fanboys lose their minds.

Apple uses location data.....and does nothing noteworthy with it.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So will this be reliable data for Apple Store crowds if they're just looking at Google data?
[doublepost=1479910844][/doublepost]
So, Google uses location data.....to give you free advice and the Apple fanboys lose their minds.

2 of 9 responses calling this 'alarming' is Apple fanboys 'losing their minds'? You really have a low bar for determining that people are losing their minds.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
So, is this live yet? Can't find any locations nearby that have any "Now" status showing.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
This feature is quite useful when you visit a new city and want to find out not only the best hours to go to a famous attraction but also to know how much time people spend there on average (that helps a lot with planning)

Reactions: kdarling

horsebattery

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
This feature is quite useful when you visit a new city and want to find out not only the best hours to go to a famous attraction but also to know how much time people spend there on average (that helps a lot with planning)
I've been using the earlier implementation (non-live version) day-to-day as well, e.g. for coffee shops and grocery stores. Being able to get a reasonable estimate about crowds and not having to turn around because the lines are too long will definitely be handy.

Reactions: kdarling

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I used the earlier implementation as well for a brunch spot that my fiancée and I typically go to on Sunday's. Even though it was live, it did give a pretty accurate representation of when the place is the most busy on a given day.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I wonder how many people who complain about "x-company can see all my stuff" yet let in the almighty google like its no biggie.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Another reminder to turn stop using all Google products and services, as apparently they're tracking you down to the store level.
But take advantage of the others that do right? You sound like one of those people that moan about the sat nav tracking you and yet take advantage of Tom Tom traffic.

Reactions: timeconsumer

vault

macrumors regular
May 3, 2009
Do you also have a problem with traffic data gathered by your iPhone for Apple Maps? Because this works almost exactly the same way. Both are perfect examples of a useful feature created using anonymised location data.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008

The issue is that the majority of users have no idea that Google is tracking their every move. People are rightfully upset when they find out that every move they make is recorded by Google so Google can make more money.
[doublepost=1479920239][/doublepost]
Do you also have a problem with traffic data gathered by your iPhone for Apple Maps? Because this works almost exactly the same way. Both are perfect examples of a useful feature created using anonymised location data.

Uuuuuug, Google's isn't anonymize at all. They add all that location data to your personal profile which is tied to everything you search online, every website you visit (via Google Analytics), every email you send in Gmail, every conversation, all your friends and family contacts stored with them and all tied back to your actual name entered in your Google account.

They take every bit of that information and use it to market to you and your friends and family.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE

Actually, Apple does do one noteworthy thing with the data, if you can believe their press: They don't sell it on the open market to just about anyone.

Reactions: Solomani

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Actually, Apple does do one noteworthy thing with the data, if you can believe their press: They don't sell it on the open market to just about anyone.
I can’t believe their press. The fact that they buy info from google, (who apparently track our everymove), and in the same breath scream to us about the horrors of invasion of privacy is just hypocrisy.

Tim is effetively saying, we won't track you or market you because it’s wrong but it’s Ok to buy the data from someone that does.

vault

macrumors regular
May 3, 2009
The issue is that the majority of users have no idea that Google is tracking their every move. People are rightfully upset when they find out that every move they make is recorded by Google so Google can make more money.
[doublepost=1479920239][/doublepost]

Uuuuuug, Google's isn't anonymize at all. They add all that location data to your personal profile which is tied to everything you search online, every website you visit (via Google Analytics), every email you send in Gmail, every conversation, all your friends and family contacts stored with them and all tied back to your actual name entered in your Google account.

They take every bit of that information and use it to market to you and your friends and family.

This is inaccurate, Google traffic location data is anonymous.

Google does not sell data, they sell ad space. Giving anyone else access to this data would be counterproductive.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
This is inaccurate, Google traffic location data is anonymous.

Google does not sell data, they sell ad space. Giving anyone else access to this data would be counterproductive.
Sorry but that goes against the bash Google at all costs narrative here. I’m afraid you’ll have to edit your post.
Both Google and Apple will buy and/or sell you when it suits them, they just dress things up differently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.