Google Maps for iOS Gains Uber Integration, Lane Guidance, Improved Offline Maps

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 6, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Google is updating its Google Maps app today, boosting the app's turn-by-turn direction capabilities. Google Maps will now show drivers which lane to use through its new lane guidance feature and it's also easier to access alternate routes while navigating.

While Google Maps has always supported the storage of maps for use offline, there's now a specific "save maps to use offline" option within the app, making it easier to keep track of saved routes. The app has gained new filters to let users browse restaurant and venue selections based on hours, ratings, price, and more, and specific points of interest can be saved to the app.

In select cities, Google Maps will integrate with Uber, letting users compare an Uber ride option with transit and walking directions to determine the faster travel option. Google's newest update is rolling out to users today and should be available on the iPhone and the iPad shortly.

Google Maps can be downloaded for free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Maps for iOS Gains Uber Integration, Lane Guidance, Improved Offline Maps
  2. macrumors 65816

Feb 4, 2011
  3. macrumors member

Aug 10, 2011
    I will use whatever map app that gets me there quicker, more accurately and safer.
  4. macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2009
    Saving maps for offline guidance is something that needs to be in Apple maps. Its really a neat feature
  5. scott523, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014

macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've been avoiding Google Maps for turn by turn but this... This might make me change my mind.

PS: Please lose the "Uber." It sounds childish.

Edit: It seems Uber does exist...
  6. macrumors member

Oct 2, 2013
  7. macrumors 65816

Jun 13, 2009
    Parts Unknown
    I'm sure Google will disable the feature and Uber will change its company name because you don't like it.
  8. macrumors 6502

Mar 14, 2011
    Have you let the company know how you feel about it?
  9. macrumors 68000

Jun 24, 2010
    Funny, the previous article talks about Apple suing Google yet we have an article about Google updating Maps for iOS. I bet the next article will be about the use of Samsung components in iPhone 6. People want to hate the competition but they still use their resources. That's like a vegetarian that kills animals for sport.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Wow Uber actually exists... That I can't possibly comment.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2009
    With Apple reportedly pulling iOS engineers to help with OS X, it looks like Apple Maps will fall further behind. I sure hope Apple has something great up their sleeves.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2009
    Just checked app store, no update appeared....
  13. macrumors member

Jun 25, 2009
    Awesome. I love Uber, used it all the time when I was in Seattle.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Jun 24, 2010
    Excellent. More control over offline map storage has been my no.1 wish since I got an iPhone.
  15. macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2009
  16. macrumors 601

Jun 26, 2009
    long island NY
    You do realize they make money off it and it isn't for charity right?
  17. macrumors 6502a

Dec 2, 2013
    As long as they don’t eat the animal I’d hardly call it hypocritical. Maybe a little ethically confusing, but maybe they really like hunting and are only vegetarian due to cholesterol, or something like that.
  18. macrumors 65816

Feb 4, 2011
    It is actually a very nice app for when you need a taxi.
  19. macrumors 604

Nov 26, 2007
    Lane guidance is something I've been wanting for a while. I'll give Google another shot next time I need a map.

I see no reason to hate Google for maps. They're competing with Apple and so in the end the people who win are you and I, the consumers that end up having better apps to use regardless of which app we happen to prefer.
  20. macrumors member

Feb 16, 2011
    they have, just not for data entry.

I drove by an accident today that showed up as coming from Waze
  21. macrumors 65816

May 6, 2014
    So much for lane guidance... if you want to get to the Bay Bridge and you're unfamiliar with the area enough to be using lane guidance, from that point you should be in lane #2, because lane #3 is exit-only at 4th Street. Changing lanes in the curves makes it more difficult for unfamiliar drivers. Unless they're trying to turn you into a last-second solid-line-crosser.

Then again, I've seen how some Google self-driving cars actually drive and maybe the Maps app is programmed with bad habits similar to those the cars exhibit.
  22. macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2009
    Olathe, KS
    It already is to some degree, at least in the Android version.
  23. macrumors member

Mar 6, 2014
    Still no offline maps for Spain. Would be very handy for saving on data costs when I go to Barcelona on holidays.
  24. macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Man, I've been trying to stick with Apple Maps, but Google keeps widening the distance between the two. If Google Maps would add Night Mode, I'd leave Apple's product altogether.
  25. macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Who are these "people"? Macrumors reported two separate and independent news stories. Apple is the party suing to enforce its patent rights, but suing to enforce patent rights does not equal hating the alleged infringer.