Google Maps - Now with Satellite Views

Discussion in 'Community' started by emw, Apr 8, 2005.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

Okay, maybe I'm the first person not to know this, but I didn't see anything on a search. Go to http://maps.google.com/, which I think most people know of, but then click on the Satellite link.

MapQuest used to have this, but it left a year or so ago. Now it's back with Google. Fun.

2. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Wow, that's really cool. Too bad the photos near my house are pretty out of date and don't have a lot of the stuff that has been built in the last year. Although only being out of date by a year, is pretty good. :)

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Better than some of the 5 year old Terraserver views at the Microsoft site.

Didn't quite use the resolution of some of the other sites used to have before they went from free to pay.

But it's now the place to go.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I really like it, even though some of the imagery isn't that high res. The google maps, though, are much easier to read....I really like it better than any other I've seen.

D

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Google maps are absolutely gorgeous, clean and easy to use. Google seems to have done it again.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Bah. It's out of date.

That vacant lot two blocks north of me has a building in it now.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You think that's out-of-date, try looking at terraserver.microsoft.com and you'll find that the lot view you are looking at will be dated somewhere around 04/30/1997

8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I like hows it's easy to use, however I have some requests. UPDATE them! The picture are quite dated IMHO. More high res sections.

Thats it. :eek:

9. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Updates and resolution depend on location. The one of my house, for example, looks to be about 9 months old, based on what I think is the correct timing of some construction near us.

Others look to be a year or so, maybe more.

There's a free 7-day trial of a product called Keyhole that Google seems to be affiliated with, but it's Windows only, so I haven't had the chance to check it out yet. Keyhole personal is $30 a year, so I'd be interested in the resolution.

But when you think about it, the kind of resolution we're getting, free, over the internet, makes you think about what can really be seen, doesn't it?

10. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Nice fine emw. Neat to see some places from space and with great ease. And a map function to :)

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I can't believe it! Do you see what emw is doing in his backyard? Don't the neighbors complain?

;)

12. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Hey, now. That was a while ago! I'm a reformed man now (especially since I know people are watching)! :D

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

What I find interesting is how the various pictures are taken from very different angles. For example, Washington, DC was taken from something slightly north of it, and Silver Spring, MD (a suburb of DC to the north), was taken from much farther north. It's all a little odd looking at first with the mixed up angles.

edit: thinking more... or is that different parts of one big picture look like they are from different angles, each big section being shot from directly above its middle?

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hey, if you can see it from space I wouldn't be complaining about it, but doesn't it cause problems with the next door neighbors.

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Pretty cool. Still, I can't believe that some people are stupidly worried that this is some sort of invasion of their privacy... they were reporting on this on MSNBC the other night. For crying out loud, you can't see CARS, much less people, and the images are OLD. (Google shows an empty lot across the street from where I live... what's actually there is Johnson & Wales University's Charlotte campus building, which is quite large.)

16. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Look up Disney land. That seems pretty new.

Man this thing is fun :)

17. mac-er macrumors 65816

Google bought Keyhole so they will have satellite images.

CNN uses the premium version (they used it a lot during the Gulf War)..they could fly down streets, etc

18. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Yea, Disney's California Adventure is there and that was opened in Feb. 2001. So I guess most of the pics were taken around that time....?

Yes 2 hours goes by fast :eek: :rolleyes:

19. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

[​IMG]
    ^Cars^

I guess it depends on where you live. The images for my city are very recent.

I'm also not worried about privacy issues. In fact, here's my house:

[​IMG]

:p :p

I think this is amazing stuff. Not only is it the best quality I've ever seen for free, but it also has very smooth navigation/scrolling. All other places I've seen load one piece of picture at a time.

[edit]

Area 51. They don't let you zoom in all the way. ;) I can see myself wasting a ton of time on this satellite service.

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

OK, I stand corrected. You can see CARS. But you can't tell whose car is whose. :)

21. angelneo macrumors 68000

I read somewhere that one of the reasons that those photos are about 6 to 12 months old are due to privacy issues.

Anyway, I like that way where they can plot the route along those roads from one point to another. looks pretty cool.

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It is out of date for my area.. below you can see "South Square Mall", which was demolished (at least 2 years ago) and replaced by a Super Target and Sam's Club (which opened a year ago).

Still really cool.

23. sarae macrumors 6502

I can't tell how old it is in my area, but they still don't have detailed satellite images for the entire city.

Has anyone else noticed that sometimes Googlemaps put the address on the opposite side of the street? I've seen it happen on a handful of addresses I was looking up for satellite viewing.

24. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

all this crap about pictures being out of date ... just enjoy it a bit, couple of years from now it will be real time when the "big brother" plan is finalized.