Google Mini?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pilzbury, Jan 27, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 18, 2004
    Reading, Pa
    A new link has appeared on - Google is advertising there own Google mini. As I highly doubt that this will be any competition for Apple. I find it interesting that they took the same name on something great and used it for there own. Here is product information about it.
  2. macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I think that existed before the Mac mini. And yes, at $4,995, I don't think the two products exactly compete.
  3. macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    Yeah how could you possibly compare the two products outside the name? This appears to be a server for small businesses.
  4. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Neat idea, but given the limit of 50,000 documents, the business would have to have a great need for info fast and easy to justify the $5000 cost.
  5. macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    wait, why did apple come out with a computer named after an iPod which was named after a car?!?!! now google is naming a server after a comoputer? . . . . . . .
    . . . its just a name. anyone can use it. unless i copyright the word 'the' then noone can use 'the' in the title of a product!!! or maybe i should just go for the letter i "i" is my letter and noone can use it in their product name!!!!!
  6. macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    umm.. unless i'm mistaken this google server has been around for a long time.. or was it yellow? hm.. not sure.. either way they have been making servers such as this for awhile now.. it's more competition for os x server.. yet it appears this is simply a search engine machine rather than a "server" per say.
  7. macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.

Lets just do a little adjusting to that price:

Google mini: $4,995

<---move and convert the "'," into "." move 2 numerics and you have $499.5 ---> ;) :)

Mac mini: $499

What next people will compare the mini cooper to the Mac mini? :p :)
  8. Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    This is the mini version of the yellow one. The yellow one handles up to 1.5M documents and comes in several sizes....
  9. macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    ok gotcha, i thought it was a different color but didnt' have the time read the whole page and such.. my bad :p