Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
I know, I was just saying that Apple's maps might have more features (I don't think they do though, as Google has public transport/transit navigation, street view and indoor maps too), but the actual maps aren't there yet, so I don't think anyone can realistically claim that Apple's maps are "better" yet, as the most important aspect is not yet there - the actual maps!

It's like.. imagine a powerhouse phone with the best specs in the world, but no screen to actually be able to use them. Useless!

Good point about Street View. I forgot about that feature (which is awesome, by the way). I don't remember seeing this feature with Apple's new gps/nav app? I do love how Google nav auto zoom's in and out as you reach your destination, and then as you approach the place you are going it auto initiates street view.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Well, Demo's are great and all, because they are in a controlled environment for that demonstration.

I think I'll hold my judgement on it until it is actually being used by millions of iphone users.

Oh and by the way, you do know Apple is dependent upon TomTom? I had a top of the line TomTom 930T and there have been a few instances where it sent me in either the wrong direction or the long way around, whereas my Google Nav app was perfect. I knew where I was going luckily and was just doing a comparison. Ironically, I was on my way to Apple HQ in Cupertino via Stanford University.
TomTom app on iPhone has done that to me a few times before, Navigon never did. No issues with Google Map/Nav either. I remember TomTom once taking me to a family members house and it routed me to not only the next community, but to the back side where it acted like there was an entrance when it was nothing but tree's and a canal lol. Quick check on Google and it took me to where I was supposed to be.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
TomTom app on iPhone has done that to me a few times before, Navigon never did. No issues with Google Map/Nav either. I remember TomTom once taking me to a family members house and it routed me to not only the next community, but to the back side where it acted like there was an entrance when it was nothing but tree's and a canal lol. Quick check on Google and it took me to where I was supposed to be.

I know what you mean. I retired that TomTom gps unit, because I simply don't trust tomtom anymore. And they used to be the numero uno nav device too!

I kinda feel sorry for those that will be using this app and get sent to the wrong place. But then again, Apple may have made this app perfect and fixed TomTom's flaws. Gonna have to wait and see.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I know what you mean. I retired that TomTom gps unit, because I simply don't trust tomtom anymore. And they used to be the numero uno nav device too!

I kinda feel sorry for those that will be using this app and get sent to the wrong place. But then again, Apple may have made this app perfect and fixed TomTom's flaws. Gonna have to wait and see.

I have been sent down pointless detours with just about every GPS app out there, including Google Nav. I am no fan of Tom Tom, and I am also not here to defend Apple, but all apps have the tendency to slip. I am sure Apple's answer is not immune to this. I will reserve final judgement until I use it.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Catching up to a competitor is nothing to celebrate about.

Do you guys laugh at the 1st place runner when you come in 2nd place? :rolleyes:

Kinda like when Google copied the iPhone and Android owes its entire existance to Steve Jos? Kinda like they caught up then? Oh wait they never did.

Apple just chopped off one of Googles arms with a Katana today.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Brb flyover and superior vector based maps with traffic approximators.

Good night google...

Let me guess... You are 14 years old right? Only that can explain such stupid comment.

Fanboys are so iiritating.

Next time try to make a serious and mature argument. If you cant then dont post childish nonsense.

Last edited:

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
In 100% of my tests of the TomTom iPhone app vs Google Nav, the TomTom app won. In one case Google Nav took him off the wrong exit, and increased the trip by 30 minutes. In another case, the TomTom iPhone (where I'm paying for HD Traffic), got me off the highway right before traffic started, where my friend stayed on. I again beat him by a significant margin.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I don't care how many POI's are on the map or even how detailed the overhead view is. What I want is a turn by turn program that gets me to my destination in the most efficient way possible and doesn't get me lost. If apple can do that for me then I'll never use google maps again. If they can't then it's no big thing because I didn't invest any money in it.

If a GPS app really works well I shouldn't even have to look at it that much.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I don't care how many POI's are on the map or even how detailed the overhead view is. What I want is a turn by turn program that gets me to my destination in the most efficient way possible and doesn't get me lost. If apple can do that for me then I'll never use google maps again. If they can't then it's no big thing because I didn't invest any money in it.

If a GPS app really works well I shouldn't even have to look at it that much.

I'm pretty sure most reasonable quality map databases will do the job. This isn't 2004.

None are flawless, but none are unusable either. Anecdotal stories don't mean much. They all get you from A to B in 2012.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-06-13-03-36-40.png
    Screenshot_2012-06-13-03-36-40.png
    325.7 KB · Views: 140

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
It might be better in terms of features, but what good are features when the actual maps just aren't there yet?

The thing is, Google has been in the mapping business for a long time. Apple is only just coming into it. There's nothing wrong with Apple's maps not being as fined tuned or as good as Google's yet, but people shouldn't try to act like they are.

This thread is embarrassing.
This is honestly the only sensible post in this thread. Google has been doing this for years...Apple just entered this sector. Plus, this is only the first beta.

ebolamonkey3

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
Boston
Apple just caught up to Google, and I'm not sure they have as much map data. I don't understand all this talk about Google Maps being screwed.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
iMaps > Google Maps. If you disagree, you are an android fanboy.
Is it okay if I say Apple's solution (while really impressive for being just introduced), is not quite on par with Google yet? Apple just entered mapping - Google has been doing this for years.

Apple just caught up to Google, and I'm not sure they have as much map data. I don't understand all this talk about Google Maps being screwed.
Compared side by side, Google Maps is not "screwed" by Apple's solution currently, but for being kicked off the iPhone, they definitely are.

If this is as far as the intelligent discussion goes, we've all lost. :(
Sadly, yes. :(

jazzneel

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
Hopefully google maps is still an option in the app store, as it's the most mature map application so far.

I wonder what apple will use for transit information, and if they are actually pulling every cities bus/subway/train schedules and compiling it in the app?

If they let google maps in the app store, it will be awesome, turn by turn from the apple maps, and google maps for everything else (for me personally).

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Hopefully google maps is still an option in the app store, as it's the most mature map application so far.

I wonder what apple will use for transit information, and if they are actually pulling every cities bus/subway/train schedules and compiling it in the app?

If they let google maps in the app store, it will be awesome, turn by turn from the apple maps, and google maps for everything else (for me personally).
With the scrutiny Apple got for rejecting Google Voice, they have to. I imagine Google will release an app - I see no reason why they wouldn't.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Let me guess... You are 14 years old right? Only that can explain such stupid comment.

Fanboys are so iiritating.

Next time try to make a serious and mature argument. If you cant then dont post childish nonsense.

He always does. Nobody rides Apple as hard as Bobby Corwin. Dont think ive ever seen him have possitive rep votes to any of his posts. Looks like Big.Mac.Daddy is going to follow that same path...lol

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
iPhone/iOS loyals who go crazy over things like Apple Maps - that Google does better and has been doing longer - aren't looking for a phone that does those things. They are looking for their iPhone to do those things.

It really is true, and there isn't necessarily anything wrong with this. If people like their iPhone that much, it's great for them that the iPhone can finally do things that the competition can do.

The difference, I think, comes from how these loyalist act about it. There's certainly a double standard and a ridiculous tinge of irony to say that when Apple copies the competition, they're just "matching industry standards," but if competitors copy Apple, then they're just copycats.

The Samsung Galaxy SIII comes to mind. All everyone could talk about was how S-Voice was like Siri, but failed to notice Smart Stay, or wireless charging, or direct dial via proximity sensor, or pop-up play, or gestures, tilt-to-scroll, etc.--all of which are novel or at the very least not copying Apple. If Apple had introduced these features first, we'd all be in an uproar over how Apple is pushing the frontiers again. But not Samsung.

I think that's when people get tired of iOS/Android argument. Otherwise, kudos for iPhone loyalists. I, for one, wish Apple would adopt even more features from Android. Quick toggles, a better keyboard, better browser, better mail... iOS could use more than just maps/navigation. I'm personally still stunned that there is no sign of an improved keyboard to iOS. Apple must be on something else if they think their keyboard still suffices.

(I'm sitting on a bricked Galaxy Nexus after owning a 4S, and while I think ICS is the superior operating system, I'm going to wait to see what the next gen iPhone brings before committing to any new phone. A dumbphone will do for now...)

----------

It's chilling how people live in their own little world and act like anything besides Apple is their god.

I find Android users are far more honest about Android's shortcomings, than iOS users about iOS' shortcomings. I shudder every time someone utters "it just works" -- you just don't get this sort of intellectual dishonesty as often or as fervently with Android users.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I meant Applefans will say the Apple-bought maps are better than the Google-drawn maps. You just know those people are out there, waiting to unleash their delusions.

Yeah, its chilling how people live in their own little world and act like Apple is their god.

I thought you bought an Android phone? Why are you still here? Trying to justify your purchase?

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
Is it okay if I say Apple's solution (while really impressive for being just introduced), is not quite on par with Google yet? Apple just entered mapping - Google has been doing this for years.

No, because I'm pretty sure iMaps will be more simplistic to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.